Trailer Trash

Ultra Vests (Read 431 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

<-------Nathan here...guess I am a commoner too.  But I like it.  I am 6'4" (and very thin).  I have no issues with the strap across my chest but having a long torso, I feel like most packs are going to feel a little short.  But the Nathan doesn't have a waist strap so I can deal just the chest strap for now.  Not sure if it looks small on me.  Don't really care.  I wouldn't mind trying some others on but not too many stores are carrying them.

DPC - I had the same issues with the stupid bladder coming off the hook.  Not sure why it bothered me so much but it did.  Velcro though, worked well to keep it in place.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

DPC - I had the same issues with the stupid bladder coming off the hook.  Not sure why it bothered me so much but it did.  Velcro though, worked well to keep it in place.

I also have the Nathan 020 and that seems to be a common problem! Mostly I just don't fix it :/ Otherwise, I like that pack. Now I'm just looking for a vest to hold bottles, since I watoned explore more fueling options this summer while training for a 50M. Will definitely be checking out Salomon.

Occasional Runner

I bought this yesterday at my local outdoor retailer. It's almost exactly like my other Salomon pack but has a couple of upgrades. The pockets in front are great and very functional.

Ultra Cowboy

Lace Is that the 12 or the 5?

I think the difference is CI in the pack.

WYBMADIITY

Save

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I have an older version of the same pack.  I was going to mention that I wouldn't recommend the S-lab 5 as a bottle carrying pack because the front pockets are really only large enough to carry a 0.5 L water bottle...but it looks like larger front pockets were part of the upgrade?  Anyways, thats something to keep in mind if you are tempted by a good deal on a last season's model.

**Ask me about streaking**

Occasional Runner

Lace Is that the 12 or the 5?

I think the difference is CI in the pack.

It's the 5. The 12 is a bigger pack. For me, this seems like the right size. It has a 1.5 liter bladder and a little room for storage. I've finished a lot of 100 milers in the older version so I really think it's sufficient for any distance.

Occasional Runner

I have an older version of the same pack.  I was going to mention that I wouldn't recommend the S-lab 5 as a bottle carrying pack because the front pockets are really only large enough to carry a 0.5 L water bottle...but it looks like larger front pockets were part of the upgrade?  Anyways, thats something to keep in mind if you are tempted by a good deal on a last season's model.

I can fit my 22oz bottles in both versions of this pack but the pockets on the new pack do soon roomier.

I've seen this pack sell for $195-$220. That's the shitty thing about this pack, it's expensive. My local store had it for $195 and they took 20% off. After tax, I paid $166.

Another cool feature is the removable zipper pocket. You can see it over the bottle holder on the right side of the photo. This vest comes with two of them so you can leave one with your crew (or drop bag) and exchange the entire pocket when you come into the aid station. Your crew can stuff the pocket with whatever essentials you need before you arrive. It saves a lot of time cramming gels or whatever into a little pocket.

Lace_up, that's a nice lookin' pack. iRunFar gave it excellent reviews as well:

http://www.irunfar.com/store/salomon-xt-advanced-skin-5-slab-set

RabbitChaser

I have the older version of the SLabs vest and like it, except that one of the front pockets ripped from holding my camera (no sharp edges). I do like the fit of it the best.

Occasional Runner

Osprey Packs asked me to help them build the "ultimate ultra running hydration pack". They want to have the best pack on the market and we have spent 7 months working together to design it. I initially did all the testing for the new bladder and then we began work on the pack design. We examined all my packs and I gave them a concept that would utilize all the best features that currently exist and then I went on to add features that nobody else is employing.

After all this work, they sent me a prototype that incorporated none of what we discussed. It's probably the most useless hydration pack I've ever seen. The final product will be available in October and they're going to be laughed right out of the ultra market. I kept the prototype and bring it out when my running buddies come over for beers around the fire. It's good for laugh anyway.

That sucks about Osprey. Hope they aren't putting your name near it...

Side note: In my research today I discovered that REI is having a huge anniversary sale and everything a lot of stuff is up to 30% off online and in-store. If you are a member you get 20% off one item, so that would correspond to a lot of dough for a hydration pack. I might just have to purchase one this weekend!  Also free shipping over $50.

Occasional Runner

That sucks about Osprey. Hope they aren't putting your name near it...

Side note: In my research today I discovered that REI is having a huge anniversary sale and everything a lot of stuff is up to 30% off online and in-store. If you are a member you get 20% off one item, so that would correspond to a lot of dough for a hydration pack. I might just have to purchase one this weekend!  Also free shipping over $50.

You live in the Philly area, so you could go to the store on the corner of Ridge and Butler Pike near Conshohocken.

You live in the Philly area, so you could go to the store on the corner of Ridge and Butler Pike near Conshohocken.

Yeah I would likely go there, my friend works there (and could potentially get me an even bigger discount.....) Though my car is in terrible shape right now so online ordering has been easier lately.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I got a pair of Keen sandals for $70 that normally go for $100 with that sale Smile  Unfortunately you can't apply your 20% member discount to something that already has a sale price.

And since this is a thread about packs, I have an Ultimate Direction Wink.  It serves its purpose, but I'm always on the look out for something better.  Nathan has a brand new pack out there that looks nice, and I also have had thoughts about the Salomon.

Running is dumb.

Birdwell

I'll throw my $.02 out there too.

Don't forget to look at UltraSpire. They have some new packs this year for bottles, as well as some updates on existing packs.

I use my omega for everything.

If I could find a store near me that carried the Salomon I'd be very interested to try it out though.

As it stands, the only things available in my area (at the stores at least) are Nathan, Osprey and UltraSpire.