Trailer Trash

Ultra Vests (Read 431 times)

Low_O2

That Salomon sounds pretty good, may have to check one out in person.

I currently have the Ultraspire Surge pack. I mostly like it, but there are a few flaws in my opinion. Although it appears most of the flaws have been addressed in the new model that came out for 2013.

Pros:

• Comfortable and doesn't bounce around when the straps are tight
    • Hooks to attach chest straps are quick and easy to use
    • Lots of easily accessible storage space so you don't have to take the pack off often
    • Room for extra layers and plenty of food/water
    • Pack material seems very durable
    • Customer service is awesome(wish I didn't have to use it though...)

Cons:

• Bladder is not very durable, had mine replaced 3 times(they sent replacements free of charge without having to return old ones) current model uses different bladder so hopefully this is fixed
    • Bite valve/hose isn't very high flow (again seems to be fixed on new model)
    • Bladder removal and install could be easier. Not an issue if you fill it in the pack, but I like to get all the air out so I always pull it out to fill
    • Chest straps no longer stay tight, constantly tightening them as I run. Looks like the new model has different strap material which should fix the slipping

I think that pretty much covers it. Like I said, I think most of the cons have been fixed on the second addition of this pack. If so I would say it works very well overall. With that said, I have been considering getting something different.

Ultra Cowboy

OK I think this Salomon is a winner.  Ran a short run with it this AM.

No issues with the arm seams rubbing on any parts.  More pockets than I know to do with...Cinches down well.  The Reservoir and mouthpiece are functional but no Camelbak.

WYBMADIITY

Save

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

O2: It also works to burp the bladder when it's inside the pack. Just turn the whole pack upside down, making sure the bladder doesn't fold or slip out of place, and suck on the hose until all the air is removed. I do it with mine all the time because I usually forget to burp it while I still have it out of the pack.

Edit: To prevent slipping of the straps through the clips, I use velcro strips (the self-adhesive industrial strength ones). Glue one "hook" piece to the loose end, one "loop" piece to the strap where the loose end hits, and velcro it together - no more slipping. Did the same with the strap of my handheld.

Run for fun.

Holden McGruyen

I received my Salomon 5 L pack yesterday and I'm not sure it's the right size for what I want. I ordered the 12 L pack this morning and it should get here tomorrow so I can compare and contrast.

One thing that I'm kind of bummed about is that the left shoulder strap zippered pocket is too small to hold an iPhone.

I'm Holden McGruyen. Would you like to join me?

Ultra Cowboy

I received my Salomon 5 L pack yesterday and I'm not sure it's the right size for what I want. I ordered the 12 L pack this morning and it should get here tomorrow so I can compare and contrast.

One thing that I'm kind of bummed about is that the left shoulder strap zippered pocket is too small to hold an iPhone.

I used the bottle pocket this AM, and I'll experiment with my Belt case.

WYBMADIITY

Save

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I bought a Lifeproof case for my Iphone (I think thats what its called).  It's supposed to be good up to 6' in water.  I bought a 2"x3" piece of velcro from a craft store and put it on the back.  It works pretty good.  It kinda blocks the pocket, but the camera is right where you want it.

photo Hydrationpack_zps13cd0567.jpg

photo HydrationPack2_zps8310193f.jpg

**Ask me about streaking**

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I don't think that would work on a size S vest...barely fits on the m/L

**Ask me about streaking**

Holden McGruyen

I bought a Lifeproof case for my Iphone (I think thats what its called).  It's supposed to be good up to 6' in water.  I bought a 2"x3" piece of velcro from a craft store and put it on the back.  It works pretty good.  It kinda blocks the pocket, but the camera is right where you want it.

Nice DIY. I may have to make something similar.

Low_O2

O2: It also works to burp the bladder when it's inside the pack. Just turn the whole pack upside down, making sure the bladder doesn't fold or slip out of place, and suck on the hose until all the air is removed. I do it with mine all the time because I usually forget to burp it while I still have it out of the pack.

Edit: To prevent slipping of the straps through the clips, I use velcro strips (the self-adhesive industrial strength ones). Glue one "hook" piece to the loose end, one "loop" piece to the strap where the loose end hits, and velcro it together - no more slipping. Did the same with the strap of my handheld.

Thanks for the tips FTYC! I have thought about trying to fix the issue somehow, but have been too lazy to mess with it.... Looks like I have some experimenting to do!

Holden McGruyen

I got to try out the 12L Salomon vest yesterday on a 14 miler and I really like it. There was no bouncing or swaying and things stayed put. Salomon put a bunch of features on the vest that I don't quite know what to do with and it didn't come with any instructions. For example there's a bright blue strap with a cord lock in the middle and I don't know if it's supposed to secure the bladder liner or do something else. The internal compartment is divided with a flap that can unzipper, turning two compartments into one bigger compartment.

I don't have any idea how to use the trekking strap holder system (but I don't use poles so it isn't a factor for me), The straps in front made my chest a touch warm but the somehow I didn't notice excess heat retention on my back. I like the adjustable elastic chest straps since they expand with my breathing. I wish the shoulder pouch was big enough for an iPhone but it's removable so I can jimmyrig something else if I want. The vest rides in a nicer position than the 5L vest (but I didn't trail test the 5L -- it's going back to the store).

ceezy

Looking for a minimal dual bottle vest.

Like the look of the UD AK vest....anything else I should take a look at?

So my friend who works at REI is looking into getting me this year's Salomon 5 L on the cheap... I am going to get the M/L, I think it will probably fit better than a XS/S on me.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Looking for a minimal dual bottle vest.

Like the look of the UD AK vest....anything else I should take a look at?

there isn't too many packs in this category- I have the AK and love it, more than enough room for gear for a long run in the mountains, no bounce or swaying, everything up front is readily accessible, thing is feather light

one nit pic, the upper velcro pockets are supposed sized for a smart phone, I don't own a smart phone the pocket is too tight for my small camera and my small camera is smaller than a smart phone- so those need to be larger

I did have a buddy that tried out one of Ultra Spires models that carried the bottles down lower and he said his arms were hitting the bottles when running- others have have good luck w/ them????

I believe CAMP has a dual bottle vest, little more difficult to get ahold of though

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

ceezy

Appreciate the feedback, seems like the AK vest is just about sold out everywhere so I guess I will wait for the next batch.

RabbitChaser

I like the AK vest, but I wish it had a pocket large enough for a smallish camera. I'm also not a big fan of the bottles that it comes with, it takes too much effort to get minimal fluid. Granted, it was my first time using them so taht could be it as well.