Trailer Trash

First Mondaily of March (Read 43 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

6ish road miles for me after work.  I had an excellent weekend of trail running and I'm looking forward to some nice easy miles to recover.

QOTD: Do you ever come across ill-prepared hikers on your local trails?

My weekend got me thinking about this.  I'm just outside of NYC so there are a lot of people who have access to the trails I've been running in Palisades Park.  Usually I run in the morning and its just me out there and maybe a group of well prepared hikers.  I did some late day runs and found out thats when everyone else comes out.  I saw a ~5 y/o almost slide off a rock (with accompanying cliff), some kids sporting some so-so clean Jordans, and somebody puked at the top of a 500' climb.  All and all I liked running late because you get to see a pretty entertaining show along the way.

**Ask me about streaking**

Occasional Runner

7 miles of hills. Heading to the airport for the first of 3 flights so I can get to northern Saskatchewan today. Now that the weather is getting nice in Utah, I'll be trail running in single digit temps again.

QOTD: Not really. The hikers in our area seem to be pretty experienced. It's a way of life around here.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I am taking a URD today to take care of a couple of minor (I hope) issues from Saturday's LR.  I would rather be over cautious at this point than make things worse.

Has anyone heard of a 100 miler called Fat Dog 100? It's in BC Canada - 120 miles of gorgeus backcountry trails - lots of ups and downs.  Lace - have you ever considered this one? It really is a small race in terms of participants but incredible looking terrain.  Not sue why but I became a bit intrigued by it over the weekend.

QOTD: not really unprepared hikers.  In the summer I come across a lot of thru hikers on the AT and like to chat with them.  I am not an "experienced" backpacker so I wouldn't know how to judge if they are prepared or not.  Lots of day hikers on the AT as well but there really isn't anything treacherous.

Oh wait...I do remember in Hyner last year passing a gentleman who was hiking the 25k.  By the time I passed him, he was not even halfway through (where the 50k meets up with the 25k course again) and he was sitting down looking like he wasn't doing great.  He had to be 80+ yrs old.  I do think some hikers don't know what they are getting into when they sign up for Hyner's 25k - lots of climbing.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Occasional Runner

I've seen it and does look really nice. It also falls on the same weekend as the Leadville 100. I would really like to do an ultra in BC though.

LB2

Nothing today. My miles are moving back up at a steady pace, and it feels good. However, my quads are a little trashed from this weekend's gnarly trails at Clear Springs, MS. It was fun, though.

QOTD: It is interesting that you asked this question because I thought about it while I was running this weekend. We left the pavilion where the Spring Equinox 50K will start on March 23rd. This is the first year, and my brother signed up for it. I know the trails pretty well, so we took a bit of a tour of the most technical parts, in reverse (reverse is defined as the opposite way the trail markers go...) which is how the course will be run. Anyway, we ran into a male and female hiker at the trailhead who were going in the right direction. We ran almost the whole 12 mile loop, which included me stopping and waiting on my brother, backtracking to check on my brother, etc. So, it wasn't fast. Anyway, we came all the way back around, I met them at about mile 10 on the loop. I wanted to stop and ask them what they had been doing all that time, and I actually wondered if they should have found a less difficult trail on which to hike. Maybe they had taken another trail that intersects and came back the same way to explore the one we were completing. I love those trails up there. I can't say enough about them.

LB2

dpc3

Tweaked my lower back yesterday but got up and ready for a run as it was feeling better. Started running and called it quits a half mile into the run. Went home and hit the foam roller, stretched, and iced. Back at it again tomorrow I hope.

QOTD: Depending on the time of year and time of day yes I see unprepared folks on the Open Space trails all the time. I'll ask them if they are OK as I run by and usually get the embarrassed I'm OK.

Safe travels Lace

BoyJame: Rest up and Fernie, BC is one of my favorite places in N.A.

Jamezilla: have a good run this afternoon

AT-runner

Tim

SRD for me today.

QOTD:  Too many stories to tell, mostly AT related with day hikers.  My most recent one was last fall when I came across a group of boy scouts with 2 leaders.  The leaders were studying a trail map, and I stopped to talk to them to see if they needed help.  We were at an old logging road, and they couldn't find the road on the map.  Turns out they started their hike by walking south instead of north and they were now 6 miles from where they wanted to camp.  One of the boys said "I told you we were walking to Georgia".  They didn't have a cell phone with them since they didn't think they would get service.  I showed them where the nearest shelter was and let them use my phone to call home to say they had a change in plans.  I was never a boy scout, but I thought compass work was one of the early badges.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

jonferg67

Endless trails

Happy Monday, trailers.

I haven't checked in since Thurs. This weekend I managed 16 on Sat and 10 on Sun.

During Saturdays run I decided I didn't have enough time to get in the appropriate

level of training for an April 50K, so I'm bagging out. Reg was only $20 and the course

was 6 loops, so I shouldn't miss much. Got my on eye Pineland Farms 50K in May, in

Maine. Planning a hike today to help the mild DOMS.

QOTD: I see more folks in the woods drinking and smoking than I do hiking around here, not

exactly a hikers destination. I did see a few overweight mt bikers yesterday, but they were still

out there so good for them. 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning everyone!  SRD for me today (maybe tomorrow as well Smile), got back from Joshua Tree last night (after a six hour flight, got to drive 2.5 hours from the airport in a snow storm!)

qotd: in my work in the backcountry I see ill prepared hikers (and a few runners to boot) almost every trip; it's kind of unfortunate as it's not terribly involved (or expensive) to be prepared for a hike in the back country

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Watoni

Hopefully a short "recovery" ride if work allows.

Saturday was  little over 20 miles and 3,000 feet on the trails, and Sunday was a decent coast loop on the bike of 37 miles and 4,000 feet. Still struggling with this cold i just suffered through the best I could.

I am still freaked out about Lake Sonoma, but I keep telling myself with the cold and the work demands I cannot really train any more.

Low_O2

SRD for me today.

Got in 10.2 miles with the dog yesterday. Wind and clouds were back, so it was a mental struggle to enjoy it after Saturdays beautiful run.

QOTD: Yes, quite often. Usually a clue when they ask "how much longer to the top" and they have no water or anything thing else when in the middle of a pretty strenuous trail. My response is usually, well that depends how fast you are... But I imagine most of them survive just fine, so maybe it's all relative what prepared actually is. At least with the mostly tame weather we have around here.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

10 miles into the desert

QOTD : I live in a very touristy place many hikers underestimate the low humidity , high UV and altitude . It is not at all unusual to see people on mt bikes or hiking who look as if they are about to pass out . Down the hill , Sacramento & Bay area it's sea level  the Tahoe Rim Trail is really popular with those folks and at @7,000' +  many find themselves over- trailed .

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Been putting in a bunch of miles...for me. My body gave me a B* slap yesterday. I think I will take today off from running Smile

QOTD: Not really but I did see many of the same hikers Jamie was talking about at the Susuquehanna Super Hike. They dont realize just how far 28 miles is maybe? I dont know but there were quite a few that quit at the half way mark.

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

Birdwell

Afternoon folks!

Cross training again for me today. T minus 4 days until I try running again.

QOTD: Depends on where I am. In the main canyon or tourist areas of any of the national parks tons of under prepared people.

In the backcountry areas I frequent, not so much. like lace said, most of the locals know what they're getting into, and are prepared.

What I find more intriguing is the waayyyyyy over prepared hikers. I'm talking the guys and gals wearing 50-70 pound external frame packs, for 2 mile hikes.

I see a lot of them climbing the Angel's Landing trail in Zion National park. The trail is about 5 miles round trip (If you go all the way to the top) but most people turn around at a spot that makes it 2 miles each way.  It climbs about 1500 feet. It should take 3 -4 hours tops. You don't need 4 gallons of water, and all he food in your kitchen. In fact, you'd go much faster if you dropped all that stuff, and carried a bottle of water.

XtremeTaper

I think a rail trail run with LadyB tonight. It's sunny and bright and looks pleasant but that awful gusty wind is blowing again. I am about sick of cold gusty winds.

QOTD: Not too often. I see people once in awhile stopped staring at maps and will offer assistance/commentary if I stumble upon them.

In dog beers, I've only had one.