Are we there, yet?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice RR, George. I know you have that 100 k in you.

Maybe some rest earlier and then if you got back out there, you could have posted some really big miles. I know all too well how hard it is to get going again, but that really is part of the challenge of a 24 hr event.

How was your calorie and fluid intake?  The puffy hands aren't always a sign of hydration or electrolyte issues, sometimes it's just from the increased demands from exercise and more blood being used by the leg muscles so reduced blood flow to the hands.  The blood vessels in the hands respond by dilating and you get swelling.  Gently squeezing the hands and fingers as you move can lessen the swelling.

I say set your sights on ATY and keep moving forward.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

It sounds like you did all that you could given your limited training, George!  I have no doubt you have 100K in you if you can get all the stars to align on race day.

Running is dumb.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Very nice.  It's hard to get back to regular training after injuries and other stuff going on.  You did well all things considered.  I would concur with others that 100k is very doable for you.  I say build on this and set your eyes to ATY.

Thanks for sharing.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

Thanks for the RR, George.

I was considering doing Piedmont as well but that's not in the cards. Partly because of not running and partly because of having a two week class to prepare for that will start the next week.

I say use that as training for ATY.

Sandy-2

Nice job!!!!  I also think you’ll get that 100k one of these days.  It sucks dealing with injuries and trying to cram training between felling a little better and the race date. It’s a delicate balance I know.

You can take some of the lessons from this run and go get it the next time.

Thanks for the RR.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Nicely done Sir!

Not a ton of time to train for this one, little more time and you’ll get that 100k Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Well done. Sounds like a solid effort even if your training wasn’t quite what you’d hoped for. Good that you were about to get some of the health stuff squared away over the summer.

Just wondering if the docs told you anything specific about the puffy hands?  That offen happens to me during ultras but it goes away after I stop running so I ignore it .

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Well done. Sounds like a solid effort even if your training wasn’t quite what you’d hoped for. Good that you were about to get some of the health stuff squared away over the summer.

Just wondering if the docs told you anything specific about the puffy hands?  That offen happens to me during ultras but it goes away after I stop running so I ignore it .

One of the things they checked was for constriction to be sure my watch band wasn't too tight and restricting blood flow. They also suggested drinking more; I'd been grabbing one cup each .8822 mile lap, but the cups were only half full. Also to alternate between water and the electrolyte drink and eat some bananas for potassium. I'd been very conscientious about eating chips for sodium.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

GC100k

but the cups were only half full. 

or were they half empty?

Thanks for the report. You have more of a "half full" attitude.

One of the things they checked was for constriction to be sure my watch band wasn't too tight and restricting blood flow. They also suggested drinking more; I'd been grabbing one cup each .8822 mile lap, but the cups were only half full. Also to alternate between water and the electrolyte drink and eat some bananas for potassium. I'd been very conscientious about eating chips for sodium.

Makes sense. I think I’m pretty on top of those things normally. For me, it’s probably what AT mentioned about blood flow. I probably should move my hands and arms more to keep the blood flowing better.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR