Trailer Trash

Does the Tragedy in Boston Change You? (Read 88 times)

Holden McGruyen

I can't watch a movie at the theater, drive in a major city, fly on an air plane, attend a major event, etc. without having a contingency plan. 

I've found myself thinking "what if..." any time I'm in a movie theater, airplane, or crowded place.  I can't help it and I hate it.

I'm Holden McGruyen. Would you like to join me?

Snowdenrun

The Boston tragedy will not change my decision to enter a big race. These terrible things will happen anywhere and to anyone. We can't always predict it or plan for it, but we can't hide away our whole lives. That being said, the Boston bombings did change me some. Yesterday was the first time I ever considered myself a runner. I've always thought "I run". But I think I may have been more affected yesterday because it happened at a running event. The running community is huge, yet has a one of a kind connection.

Low_O2

I don't think it will change me much. Like many of you I tend to avoid big cities and huge events as much as I can. So, I hope that minimizes my chances of being caught in this type of situation. Also, I am usually pretty observant and aware of what's going on around me so hopefully that will help me if I find myself in a unpredictable situation. With that said, it is a terrible tragedy and it is never fair to have life ended too soon as a result of someone else actions. My mind often wanders to these types of things while out on solo runs. It is bizarre to me how fragile life is and how things can change so quickly. All we can do is live our lives everyday and hope that when our time comes we have lived a good life and are satisfied with the person we have become. Living in fear takes away from our quality of life, so we need to do our best to surround ourselves with good.

It does not change me.  While I'm saddened at the violence, and the ignorance of the criminal that did this, and have compassion for those that are suffering, it will not change me as a person, and will not deter me from changing my plans.  I choose to not live in fear.  If I die, I die.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

No, it won't change me. I avoid large cities with a passion - claustrophobic. I think it's related to my mother dragging me to the big city for Christmas shopping over 50 yr ago.

Things that make me more aware of things: headon traffic accidents, bear attacks, trail / snow conditions, suspicious people in cars or on trails, earthquakes (can't do much about those other than be prepared). Things like the missing runner on Mt. Marathon last year. That's affected the way we do races up here. These are very real.

We're also top cover for the US, although not as heavily enforced as it used to be.

Terrorists are something to be aware of, like many other threats. I could take shelter in a bomb shelter (got some unused missile silos up here) for safety, but what is life without being able to get out and enjoy this great country.

Prayers go out for those injured or killed.

I did make an effort to run today - even though it was scheduled rest day (after b2b almost 3 hr), but snow was too crappy, so just hiked, shuffle ran.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

No, not at all.    You can't live in fear!  (Of course some of my feeling on that probably is built off of the fact I have been to Afghanistan and "been there, done that".).

I have done the MCM in DC last year, and I plan to run NYC, CHI, eventually Boston at some point as well if I can get in.  The bombing had ZERO effect on my desire to run the big races at least one time each.

If a race ever gets canceled because of terrorist threats, or if people refuse to go because of threats, then the terrorists have won.

---I'd like to add that what I saw in Boston was amazing to me.  --- A bomb went off, and then a second one went off.  You'd think that folks would run out of there thinking that a third bomb may go off at any moment.   But what did they do?  Within seconds there were civilians, military folks, police all giving aid and literally the shirts off their backs to help save the lives of the wounded.   Their actions of helping the wounded immediately instead of running for cover, clearly saved lives and was a great thing to see.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

runfastandie

I gotta be honest- I would have run like hell out of there unless I could visually see someone around me hurt.

It hits close to home as I have an 8 year old boy and 6 year old girl. I can't imagine losing my son, suffering from TBI and having my daughter's leg be amputated.  How these events will change a family like mine- all for the sake of cheering on people that have worked there butts off qualifying and paying for the Boston Marathon (2 things I can't ever anticipate doing unless I'm still running at 70).

How horrible for all those people who DNF after all that because of some stupid stupid person.  If you are running a 4+ marathon running is doesn't come naturally for you- you have to WORK and train like mad to get there.

I'm truly heartbroken about the whole thing.

My first thought was going back to new york- remember all the drama about having the marathon right after the flood?  There was a HUGE negative backlash toward the running community.  My first and continued thought was retaliation by some looney toward runners.

:-(  Andie

Sandy-2

---I'd like to add that what I saw in Boston was amazing to me.  --- A bomb went off, and then a second one went off.  You'd think that folks would run out of there thinking that a third bomb may go off at any moment.   But what did they do?  Within seconds there were civilians, military folks, police all giving aid and literally the shirts off their backs to help save the lives of the wounded.   Their actions of helping the wounded immediately instead of running for cover, clearly saved lives and was a great thing to see.

Was sitting in noisy pub in London with my back to a muted TV when my DD called to tell me what happen in Boston 15 minutes prior.  I turned around to look at the TV and all hell was breaking loose.  They were looping the tape of the explosion, but the absolute thing I noticed first was that seconds after the blast there were people running toward the blast, ripping down the crowd barrier and jumping over it to help those who were hurt.  I thought "heros".

Of course the next thoughts were "F'ing Bastards, who would do such a thing?" and "sadness".

No this won't change me or my plans, but I do tend to be aware of my surroundings anyway.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

GoRunDad

Well, my manly answer is to say no.  But, I am running the MCM in October and had already made the comment to my wife and kids that I wanted them to go look at universities, museums, and other sites in the area while I ran the marathon.  Last night, i told her I definitely  don't want them near the finish line.  So, yes I guess it did change me.

What struck me as odd was the number of military that I saw throughout the course as I watched the marathon on baa.org.  I have run a couple of large marathons (I enjoy being around a lot of people at these events) but have never seen military or that many police for that matter.  I made the comment at the half way point about it (as the woman leading had to swerve to go around two members of the military) and wondered if something was up.  Don't think that they were tipped off but it was noticeable.  Is this normal for Boston?

Uh oh... now what?

What struck me as odd was the number of military that I saw throughout the course as I watched the marathon on baa.org.  I have run a couple of large marathons (I enjoy being around a lot of people at these events) but have never seen military or that many police for that matter.  I made the comment at the half way point about it (as the woman leading had to swerve to go around two members of the military) and wondered if something was up.  Don't think that they were tipped off but it was noticeable.  Is this normal for Boston?

There were quite a few military (all army from what I recall) in almost full-pack walking the

marathon.  They were not there as a military presence in the sense of security.  The MCM

will have quite a few marchers, as well as walkers, in some sort of field uniform.

DigDug2

No, this doesn't change how I view the world or how I act.  It obviously saddens me, but it doesn't make me fearful.

Occasional Runner

I find it interesting how people associate "fear" with cautious behavior. The word "fearful" is getting a lot of use in this thread. Is it fearful to acknowledge risk and behave in a manner that might mitigate that risk?

DigDug2

I find it interesting how people associate "fear" with cautious behavior. The word "fearful" is getting a lot of use in this thread. Is it fearful to acknowledge risk and behave in a manner that might mitigate that risk?

Your original post said that you have "concern bordering on paranoia" - saying I don't feel "fearful" is just shorthand for saying I don't share the same level of concern. 

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Why else would one take action to mitigate any perceived risk?

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Deltarose

Am I alone in finding that I now have a strong desire to try to qualify for Boston?

I swore off road marathons after a few failed attempts to BQ and now, damn, I really want to go run Boston.

I grew up not far from the start of the marathon and even as a small girl, the marathon was significant. As a pudgy, MTV-watching pre-teen slug I remember watching coverage of the marathon and wondering if that could be me one day. So maybe it is nostalgic, hometown pride or whatever, but I want to run it someday soon.

But - that said - as a mom of 3 small children very close to the age of the boy who was killed - I'd just as soon have my family off doing something else. You can't predict random acts of violence and you can't control EVERYTHING around you. You'll hide under a rock or build a fortified underground bunker and lock your family in it if you let yourself dwell on all the things that can kill you or your children.

So, does it change me? Not in a dramatic change of behavior kind of way, but it makes me feel less guilty about not travelling to races with my kids..