Trailer Trash

Free Falling FRIDAY (Read 25 times)

XtremeTaper

Good morning all... 6.5 miles or so for me last night on the rocky side of Green Lane. It seems like some days the rocks and ruts are out in full force over there. Last night was one of those days. Still a decent run. Very pleasant evening. Not sure of tonight's plan.. I'd like to get in 8 or 9 trail miles. I suspect I can make that happen.

QOTD: Falling/tripping on the trail. Are you are frequent faller, occasional, rarely or never. Bonus points for most embarrassing fall story while running.

For me, frequent. I go in spurts but I am right now averaging one good fall per week. That is my average for the year. Perhaps I am not coordinated enough to run rocky technical trails but I still do it. My chiro just shakes his head. Any falls in the past few weeks? Yes of course.

Most embarrassing spill was at JFK many years ago. My second and last run there. I was sort of having an off day, it was cold, there was ice on my glasses, and I was trying to muddle my way down the towpath. So coming into some aid station I tripped and fell on the frickin' towpath for all to see. What an amateur.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Occasional Runner

8 trail miles with the puppies this morning. Feeling really strong already. It's supposed to be super hot on the Wasatch Front this weekend. I think I'm ready for fall.

QOTD: It's a very rare occurrence for me, but when I do it. I go all out.

I was running a Pretzel City race a few years ago and there were two really cute girls running right in front of me on a buffed out piece of single track. I wanted to pass them, and I wanted to look good doing it. I made my move, passing on their left, taking full graceful strides, really demonstrating my abundance of athletic prowess. As soon as I cleared them, my toe caught a tiny root and I went down HARD. They didn't break stride while laughing their asses off. One of them even hurdled my crumpled body. Good times...

XtremeTaper

Lace - That's a good one.. double bonus for you.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

DigDug2

Woke up at 4:30 this morning for some reason, couldn't fall back asleep so just grabbed the headlamp and ran an unplanned 7 mi. in the dark.  Beautiful morning - glad I ran, although I could use some more coffee now.

QOTD:  I think I fall more than average, probably once a month, although on a group trail run last weekend 4 out of 5 of our group took turns falling in different styles.  My worst fall (in terms of bloodiness) was actually on the road, tripping over a branch in the gutter.  No real embarrassing falls for me, although I seem to have the ability to jinx others:  twice in recent years I've commented to fellow runners about how good they are running downhill, only to have them trip and fall within seconds.  I'll have to try that in a race sometime.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice day here in PA. Some easy miles planned over lunch.  Right quad sore from some fast (for me) downhills yesterday.

It was 54 here this morning, perfect running weather, for me, so I imagine Couch is getting her winter clothes out.

QOTD:  Comes in streaks.  I was good for a while and have had a few good falls the past month.

Best fall was during an adventure race at Blue Marsh.  There was a ride and tie section and I was running the trails behind one of our guys on a bike. I was tethered with a bungee cord and did a lovely Superman down the ski hill. Just when I thought I had stopped, the bungee hit full tension and dragged me down another few feet before the guy on the bike fell.  We had just passed another Masters team to take the lead so I had to jump up like nothing happened and pretend I was OK.  I had volunteered to run the downhill because I said I cold "bomb" the downhills. 10 years later, and I still get teased about it.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

some call me Tim

RD again. Last night I ran another mile race (had to get my points for the series) at slightly lower intensity in view of tomorrow's race and came up with the same result as always... not too bad. My daughter(8) had a bit of a rough time- organizationally, the race was a cluster++ and she ended up having to run a mile with me just to make it to the start on time- but she made it through. I don't push her and it's cool to see her wrestling with that and making it through.

qotd: Well, Kelly's story totally trumps mine, though it's similar- I passed these guys in a 14 miler at Letchworth SP a couple of years ago, gapped them by about 100 yards, ate it, got up, gapped them by another 100 and ate it again. Pretty green. They were losing it back there... I fall less often these days, but it still happens. My handhelds have saved me on more than one occasion.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nice 5.4 this morning with the dogs..they were complete angles this morning.   Very little sniffing and stopping and zero running away.

QOTD:   Of course I have but not so much.   I tripped today and had a leash in each hand and it was a very sharp rocky  area and OI briefly thought THIS IS GONNA HURT!!!   So I took severely large recover steps and saved myself.     I think I have fallen once this year.

I guess my most embarrassing one was when I turned my ankle and felt a snap hear a crack; threw out many F bombs.  Of course my running partner was very concerned (not Earl).   After I settled down and then got up I realized my ankle didn't even hurt.   All that crap for nothing.   Thank goodness it was just Yvonne and not a bunch of others witnessing that.  

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Spending the day at work. Got in a few minutes early to learn that I had to head out right away on a call. The patient was actually sick and needed treatment. The problem is that I was missing equipment including medications . Then the moron who was on over night admitted that he knew how bad the gear was but didn't have time to fix it last night. So now I'm sitting here drinking and Monster Rehab (162 mg of caffeine)  and trying to calm down.  I think I need a good long run. Unfortunately that won't happen until tomorrow.

QOTD:  Good question Xtreme. I was just thinking about this on my last long run. I don't fall much anymore. Partly because I don't push the pace over sketchy terrain. However, there is one section of trail where I will always fall or turn a ankle. I don't run it very often and it's not at all technical. Just enough rocks and roots that you have to pay attention. No matter how careful I am I will either fall or turn ankle. I've gotten to the point where I just walk that section and use it for a eating zone.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Today will be whatever I feel like running once I'm out the door.

QOTD: Frequent tripping and falling is why I gave up running on trails many years ago. I still have the problem when I do get out on the trails, including 3 trip and falls in the first 2 miles of Labor Pain last year. This past spring I pulled a muscle in the groin area on a hard trip and fall that almost scuttled my IAT 50K race.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AT-runner

Tim

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Just under 6 this morning early.  It was actually chilly out but I will not complain.  What I will complain about is how the heat n humidity are coming back...tomorrow.

QOTD: I don't fall a lot of trails but I do trip a good bit and catch myself.  Sometimes I think falling would be better as the whole body tenses up when I trip and try and catch it.

My worst fall was 7 miles into my first 50 miler  @ Stone Mill.  I came out of an AS to be leading a group of 4-5 runners, tried to vault up over a downed tree without breaking stride.  The tree was slick with morning dew.  I did manage to get over the other side of the tree but landed squarely on my right hip on the ground following the tree.  I heard everyone behind me grunt as if they felt my pain.  I got up and ran the rest of the race - but still have traces of pain deep in that same hip to this day.    I also had a fall when I was just starting to run trails and had no idea what I was doing.  I took the downhill on a rocky section of the AT like I was running a 5k.  I went down super hard and my face was an inch from a rock.  After that I slowed way down and started enjoying myself!

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Still extremely smokey here, relief possibly Sunday  

strength train this evening

qotd: I've taken dozens of falls, probably averages one every other month. My "best" was a speedy downhill at dusk, toed a root or rock, couldn't catch myself and did a full 360 landing on my feet- full ninga style- brushed some dirt and pine needles off and was on my way- that would have been a good one to have witnessed!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NHLA

8 miles 1 hr 5 min around the mt.

QOTD   Whenever you get on a trail marked most difficult you will fall walking.

In the DuPont Forest Marathon I fell hard and heard another racer say that's a 10. Then he helped me up. Three broken toes and 8 more miles to go.

Watoni

4.5 this am -- ankle took a bit to get going. Hard to blame it since it is 2.2 miles and about 1000 feet up (and then back down).

QOTD: I do not fall often, but when I do, it is often a doozy. Nothing worse than my current injury, of course.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

6 early in the morning before work. I might go out tomorrow before sunrise to run under the full moon again! 

And yes, AT is right, I was tempted to break out the winter gear, but decided to tough it out. Morning temperatures are just about at my limit for long sleeves.

QOTD: I have fallen so few times this year that I think I might just have jinxed it. But what the heck, always good for a laugh (later).

I once ran mid-morning, just around the hood, and taking a short trail loop through the woods. Lots of walkers and people walking their dogs around and about. On the trail, there was a really slick mud puddle. I was wearing my road shoes, but decided the mud couldn't be bad - big mistake. It might have been the slickest mud I've ever encountered. I did not even realize how my feet slipped, and there I was already lying full length in that puddle. I was covered with mud all over, including my face.

Emerged looking like the mud monster. Needless to say, I got many stares on the two miles through the hood back home.

Run for fun.