Trailer Trash

Thinking Spring Thursdaily (Read 39 times)

Ultra Cowboy

Did the Shoe store fun run last night for 4 miles.  My trail running group is in the process of filming a "Thrift Shop" by Maclemore parody video so that made the run interesting...on the last two miles, I got feeling competitive and picked up the pace.  Another runner about my height and weight made an attempt to ninja by me at the finish and I had to sprint at the end.  Probably one of my fastest Wednesday runs, but I forgot to stop my watch at the end.   Just glad I didn't pull anything.

I'd guess Chuck Taylors and Vans then Reebok Cross trainers were my "tennies" growing up.  I entered a running shoe store for the first time in 2007 and was fitted in Brooks Dyads.

....I'm gonna pop some tags.....

WYBMADIITY

Save

Uh oh... now what?

At least this forum is getting traffic. I hopped over the other trail runner forum on RA this morning and there hasn't been a post there of any kind in a week. I remember when we all migrated here, there was so much debate about joining that group and some the "regulars" over there were worried about the increased traffic. WTF?! They have NO traffic. This is the only active trail forum on RA.

I was really puzzled by the traffic, or lack of traffic, thing.  I visited RWOL because I love running and talking about it.  I got to where I was deleting most of my posts because so much of it seems argumentative now or advice is coming from "Well, I have never ran a ... , but... "  I had a problem with the credentials thing when "we" came to RA, but that seems to have gone away.  There was a post on RWOL about how someone hoped the trail and ultra would not be recombined because he (not sure of sex) was intimidated by ultramarathoner types--I hope that does not happen here, nor scare any newcomers away.  Running is running and all have stories to share.  I hope the grammar bit has died its own unpleasant death and the continued conversations about running of all kinds, in all sorts of places (complete with pictures!), at all levels continues.

My thanks to you, each and all, for helping to make this forum what it is... a somewhat undefined blurb of friendliness.

rgot

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I was really puzzled by the traffic, or lack of traffic, thing.  I visited RWOL because I love running and talking about it.  I got to where I was deleting most of my posts because so much of it seems argumentative now or advice is coming from "Well, I have never ran a ... , but... "  I had a problem with the credentials thing when "we" came to RA, but that seems to have gone away.  There was a post on RWOL about how someone hoped the trail and ultra would not be recombined because he (not sure of sex) was intimidated by ultramarathoner types--I hope that does not happen here, nor scare any newcomers away.  Running is running and all have stories to share.  I hope the grammar bit has died its own unpleasant death and the continued conversations about running of all kinds, in all sorts of places (complete with pictures!), at all levels continues.

My thanks to you, each and all, for helping to make this forum what it is... a somewhat undefined blurb of friendliness.

rgot

The furthest I ever ran was 21.6 miles.  Heck yeah its intimidating to try and discuss your running with people who are running 100 milers.  If you spend enough time reading these boards, you start getting the "only a marathon" type feeling.  Really, I probably would have been a permanent lurker if nobody would have posted the "hey lurkers we don't bite...feel free to join in, you don't have to be an ultra runner" message every once in a while.  I have found this group to be nothing but helpful (and entertaining too) and there is no reason to be intimidated here.

**Ask me about streaking**

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

rgot

Well said, as usual, John.

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

There's always someone running farther than you, faster than you, different than you.  I hope people aren't intimated here.  We all have stories to share and everyone is welcome.  If I can do anything as the "moderator" here, I'm totally open to suggestions.

The furthest I ever ran was 21.6 miles.  Heck yeah its intimidating to try and discuss your running with people who are running 100 milers.  If you spend enough time reading these boards, you start getting the "only a marathon" type feeling.  Really, I probably would have been a permanent lurker if nobody would have posted the "hey lurkers we don't bite...feel free to join in, you don't have to be an ultra runner" message every once in a while.  I have found this group to be nothing but helpful (and entertaining too) and theres no reason to be intimidated here.

At my first 25K, I was "only" running the 25K.

At my first 50K, I was "only" running the 50K.

At my first 50 miler, I was "only" running the 50 miler.

At my first 100K, I was "only" running the 100K.

I have yet to run a race where I'm the one going the farthest that day.  I haven't run 100 miles yet, but I will someday.  Perhaps I'll have to pick one in conjunction with a 150 miler, so I'll "only" be running the 100.   Big grin

Running is dumb.

I hit a new section of the Pinhoti yesterday evening with some friends. Five miles at a decent pace, with some steep hills. This morning my achilles (think, this is a new one for me) is sore, so today will be URD.

qotd: I was doing bootcamp style workouts in cross trainers of some kind when I thought I might try running. That didn't last long. Then I started reading (dangerous) and decided to learn how to run with a midfoot strike so I got a pair of Newtons. Those I would probably consider to be my first running shoes, despite putting <50 miles in the first two years I had them. Then I tried barefoot and vffs for a while (got a whole 150 miles in that year).

Then last year I discovered trails and actually become a runner. I started in Merril Pace Gloves and NB 101's so those were my first trail shoes.

Pinhoti 100: Finished :D

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

And oh yeah, um, dailies...

I get to run a whopping 6-7 miles today!!!!!!!  Conversation with my chiropractor:

Him: So you've been running...what, about 4 miles or so these days?

Me: Yes.

Him: Okay, I want you to double that.

Me:  Uhhh.  ....  What?!  Surprised

Him: Yep, I want you to run more.

Me: But not for 8 miles!
                Him: You can run for 8 miles!
                Me: I know I *can* run for 8 miles, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea at this point in the healing process.

I managed to talk him down to 6-7 miles instead, which I will be doing tonight, since it's going to be a beautiful 45 degrees and sunny here!  Here's to hoping that it's pain free.

QOTD: I bought a pair of Asics Foundation 7s, because I liked the way they looked and the internet told me that they were good for people with flat arches.  Turns out I just got really lucky and they worked.  I still run in Asics heavy support shoes today.  I ran before those shoes in an older pair of Adidas, but only 1-2 miles at a time and never with any consistency.

Running is dumb.

XtremeTaper

Yay Mandy. Good to see you are getting out there again.  Smile

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Snowdenrun

Spring is here today! Sun is out, air is crisp, birds are talking, and the herring sac roe fishery has begun! I'm loving this spring-like feeling! Not sure what I'll run today, its a pretty busy day today. But I'm sure I'll get out for some sun exposure. And I need to work off some of my popcorn and beer from last night.

QOTD: When I ran middle school track I had some generic pair of Nike's that I wore until the sole started falling off and flapping around. Then got an expensive pair of New Balance when the company first came got big. I just really started running about a year ago and had 5 finger shoes. I just recently bought NB1010 and Brooks pure grit and have no complaints so far.

Snowdenrun

The furthest I ever ran was 21.6 miles.  Heck yeah its intimidating to try and discuss your running with people who are running 100 milers.  If you spend enough time reading these boards, you start getting the "only a marathon" type feeling.  Really, I probably would have been a permanent lurker if nobody would have posted the "hey lurkers we don't bite...feel free to join in, you don't have to be an ultra runner" message every once in a while.  I have found this group to be nothing but helpful (and entertaining too) and there is no reason to be intimidated here.

+1 on this. Until I was exposed as a lurker and actually joined the conversation. But now instead of being intimated by all the awesomeness you guys accomplish I am really intrigued by ultras. Maybe someday I'll run one. Smile

Watoni

Reverse Ninja loop in the Marin Headlands this morning ... rain and mist but still awesome.

Just under 12 miles and about 2300 feet up and down.

Strava data here:

http://app.strava.com/activities/46182088

Picked up a new Salomon S-Lab belt to try from Brett R. of the San Francisco Running Company at the run (go Square).

I ran alongside Jorge Maravilla for a bit (he was hurdling barriers, laughing and joking) and it reminded me his story is akin to Kelly's. Not a runner, not in shape at one point, and then just becomes an accomplished ultrarunner in very little time. Super cool.

Birdwell

Mandy, that's fantastic news!!!

Occasional Runner

I can understand the intimidation thing and I hope I don't contribute to any of that. I usually post from my perspective, which is a long distance perspective, but I think everyone here does a great job of appreciating running at all distances. I'll be running a lot of sub-marathon trail races this year and I know none of them will be "easy". I think there's a lot to be gained from listening to everybody in the forum, regardless of their experience, race distances, or "credentials". Unless you're a barefoot runner, in which case, you can kiss my ass.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

an easy 6 miles along the Yellowstone- no ice, no snow, no mud- unlike yesterday where there was plenty of all three Smile

qotd: as I've only been running two years pretty easy to remember my first "running" shoes, interestingly they were originally purchased as backpacking shoes (which they are still used that way)- they're Montrail Sabino Trails- I'm on pair 5 or 6 now, but have recently ordered a pair of more running, less hiking shoes- Brook Puregrits

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I can understand the intimidation thing and I hope I don't contribute to any of that. I usually post from my perspective, which is a long distance perspective, but I think everyone here does a great job of appreciating running at all distances. I'll be running a lot of sub-marathon trail races this year and I know none of them will be "easy". I think there's a lot to be gained from listening to everybody in the forum, regardless of their experience, race distances, or "credentials". Unless you're a barefoot runner, in which case, you can kiss my ass.

+1

My favorite day of the week is RUNday