Trailer Trash

Thoroughly Thawed Thursdailies (Read 33 times)

The pooch and I enjoyed this spring morning.  Despite loving winter, I was happy  to run in shorts and short sleeves.  We did a pleasant 4 miles of trail running.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

AT-runner

Tim

DW and I are heading out for a long run.  Weather looks perfect as long as the rain hold off.  We will probably mix trail and logging roads and might do some exploring.

QOTD:  Do you stick to set marked trails or do you ever explore smaller unmarked or unknown trails?

I love to explore, so if I see an unmarked trail, I'll usually follow it to see where it leads.  Since my area is loaded with old charcoal hearth trails from the iron furnace age, many small trails will dead end into a small clearing where an old hearth was.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Occasional Runner

I did a 5 mile shakeout run on the trails this morning, The truck is loaded and we're headed to Zion shortly for the 100 miler. We'll see how all that goes.

QOTD: I hit every random unmarked trail I can find. The road less traveled...

Daydreamer1

The last several days have been productive on the running front. Been getting in quite a bit of good quality miles. Now I'm off for a long run on the AT. Hope to get in at least 20 miles. This will allow me some time to ponder some pressing questions such as: Do I repair or replace DS car? He hit a deer this morning on his way to work . Also is it going to be too hot in late May to do a south rim - river- back to rim run in the Grand Canyon and which route/routes do I use?

QOTD: I'll explore especially in the cooler months. If it's warmer and the trail is partially overgrown I'm a little more cautious due to the possibility of stepping on snakes.

LB2

Easy 5 last night; the same tonight.

QOTD: I will go on other trails. Sometimes I am disappointed that they don't go that far.

LB2

jonferg67

Endless trails

Still in rest mode for my calf strain. I did a good core/leg routine last night, and

will get a massage on Saturday. Active recovery! This weather is great, can't wait

to get back at it.

QOTD: If I only stayed on the marked trails around here my trail running would suffer. I try everything

I can find; unmarked, power line roads, cranberry bog dirt roads, an opening in the trees on the highway.

muppy

SRD today. Going to yoga class tonight, hope it helps my tight calves.

QOTD I love exploring new trails, I usually just run them to the end or if I think I went too far or gonna get lost and eaten by bears I just turn around and run back.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I did 7 last night an will do 10 tonight . Struggling a bit with my knee , had a bad go on Sunday 5 miles into a 25 I had to get a ride home . It seems to have calmed down some . Attempting my first 100 in a couple weeks and feeling less than confident in how well it will hold up . I'm sure some of that is normal anxiety and confidence issues going into a first 100.

QOTD: Our "trails " are just unmarked cow paths or dirt bike trails in the desert . If it's going the general direction we want to go we'll take it , it's hard to get lost when you can see forever .

jonferg67

Endless trails

SRD today. Going to yoga class tonight, hope it helps my tight calves.

QOTD I love exploring new trails, I usually just run them to the end or if I think I went too far or gonna get lost and eaten by bears I just turn around and run back.

I've been eaten by bears twice, it wasn't that bad.

Sandy-2

SRD today.

qotd: I guess it goes without saying that I like to explore.  I do tend to take side trails when I can, in Japan last month the last 4 or 5 miles was on a tiny secondary trail that required a bit of bushwhacking.  I wasn't too worried because whenever I got to the hilltops I could see "civilization" near by and I was headed for the sea.  Here are two photos from the "less traveled" part of the trail in Kamakura.

Yes, there is a slight trail there...

A little fun over and under the bamboo...

tbd.

Gator eye

Did a nice easy 6 this morning.

QOTD: I like to explore new trails and new areas but without driving somewhere unexplored dirt is hard to find close to home.

Sandy-2

Sandy how do you find your trails on all your travels?

Hi QoN, I getting back to you from yesterday.  Funny how this sorta relates to the qotd.

I can totally relate, when exploring I'm like “ok I’ll go a little farther to see if I can find something good…”  Funny how you were describing it, it’s usually the case that you "find it" right about the time you need to turn around.  The hardest part is always finding a trailhead or access points to trails.

When I know I’m going to a place I search for trails or running routes on www.mapmyrun.com.

Or I Goggle for stuff like:

Trail running near ?????

Hiking near ?????

Hiking trails near ?????

Mountain Biking near ????

You can also look at local run calendars to see if there are any trail races in the area, then look at the trail maps for the races.

If all else fails or I haven’t had time to look ahead of time I usually head for water, either a lake or stream.  Lots of times there are trails near them.

I took a quick look for you in Yreka, CA – it looks like there are a bunch of trails starting a little west of the Greenhorn Reservoir off of Greenhorn Road (the southern part of town).  It looks like there is a parking lot with picnic tables and probably restrooms and lots of trails heading out to the south and west from there.

Have fun and don't get lost...

tbd.

AT-runner

Tim

QOTD: I will go on other trails. Sometimes I am disappointed that they don't go that far.

Totally done that.

Also I am way too stubborn when it comes to finding out where a trail will lead, even if it adds a lot of distance to my planned run.  In my head I'm always saying "I can't turn around now, I have to see where this trail ends up".

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

QOTD: I definitely like to explore.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Afternoon all,

No running yesterday...I'm a bum.  Today is too nice to not get out plus I brought my trail stuff to work.  Plan is for 5 miles at a local Nature Preserve (they're having a race on saturday which my schedule may allow for!).

QOTD: The "Safety Guy" (occupation) in me makes me weary of exploring unknown trails during most runs.  If I come across something unknown/unmarked, I memorize it, show it to my fiance on a map, then explore another time.  I believe in the "tell someone where you are going" philosophy of life

**Ask me about streaking**