Trailer Trash

Shortcut Fridaily (Read 19 times)

Sandy-2

As you might know I was planning to do the UTMF in Japan this weekend until my transfer back to the US was moved up.  Although I informed the RD that I withdrew from the run I'm still getting notices and FB updates. Well it turns out that as near as I can tell from the rough translations on FB, due to very bad weather they have cut the race short, so now it's 49k instead of a 100 miler.

Im not sure about the 50 mile, it has also been reduced but I can't figure out the new distance.

Sorry to hear about this, but they did do it for the safety of the runners and to preserve the delicate trails.  But it's still a bummer.

So as a show of solidarity, I'm going to do 5k today instead of 5 mi.  Plus I slept in a little... :-)

qotd: ever had a race canceled or shortened at the last minute?  I haven't, but do know that to does happen.

tbd.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Will be road testing new shoes today once I buy them, probably Saucony Glycerine 14s.

QOTD: I had a 10K postponed from December to March due to snow and ice. They also completely changed the course. Also had a 5K shortened due to road flooding. The companion 10M race that day was also shortened. Then there have been a few shortened unintentionally due to misplaced turnaround cones or course marshals neglecting to point runners in the right direction.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

I will run 5 after work today. I am looking forward to it because it is Friday, and I have two beers in the fridge.

QOTD: I have had a race called off during the race. It was my first 50K, but I had finished before they called the race. It was a loop course, so it wasn't too bad to get everyone off the course. The weather was horrible, lightning, torrential rain, etc. We had 3 loops (2 were 12.5 miles, 1 was 10K). By the second loop, the creek crossings went from ankle deep to mid-thigh. It was fun.

I honestly thought that Rocky Raccoon was going to be called off in 2012. Rain poured down in buckets the first several hours of the race, and I remember a lightning strike right before the start that was way too close for comfort. But, we ran.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

No run today and probably will take the weekend off too.  Legs still feel bad.  I did try the legs up the wall yoga thing DC suggested.  It felt good so I will keep doing that.  But I am wondering from the ultra runners, if anyone has taken the last 2-3 weeks before a race off - meaning no or very little running.  There's nothing I can gain at this point from sheer mileage but what effect would it have to pull very little running?

Sandy - no crew or pacer for Grindstone - that is pretty gutsy! Since you are likely to see the sunset 2x before you finish, hopefully you enjoy night running.

QOTD: Funny question I suppose as I was just recalling my first year of ultra running the other day.  My first ultra was cancelled in Sept. 2011 due to major flooding.  The trails and trail heads were washed out.  Then Blues Cruise (which was my 1st official ultra) was almost cancelled due to this same flooding.  It was 4-5 weeks after the flooding but apparently the damage of the high waters was enough to consider it.  But it went on as planned but was interesting (washed out bridges, muddy, etc.).  That same year, my next ultra, was postponed at the end of October due to a freak snowstorm that dumped 7 inches of snow.  Thankfully they postponed a week.  It was a crazy year I suppose.

Have a great weekend!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

Happy Friday.  Ran in the "Burbs" of DC on Rock Creek Trail yesterday while I waited for my mom to have a "procedure" done.  Asphalt pathway, but better than the roads. Then on the way home found out a good friend found her mother dead on the kitchen floor. She was 92, but in otherwise good health and living on her own. DW and I went over to their house last night for some support.

Sue - I did think of Jack yesterday during my run.

QOTD:  Pikes Peak Ascent was cut short for lightning.  I was in the second wave and we got turned around at 10 mile mark.  We had to run back down the mountain, so it was a cold wet 20 miler.  More than 1/2 the runners got turned around as we had caught some of the back of the first wave. I never wore that race shirt since I didn't finish the race.

On the "Plus" mileage side, the first Seneca Creek 50k ended up being over 34 miles because of a reroute due to flooding.  I was with a man doing his first trail race and he was livid when he found out that there was extra distance. I told him it was "free miles".  He had settled down by the end.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

Jamie, I fixed your comment.

Sandy - no crew or pacer for Grindstone - that is pretty gutsy! Since you will are likely to see the sunset 2x before you finish, hopefully you enjoy night running.

Hell.... with the Friday evening start and the Sunday morning cutoff, I'm hoping I won't see 2x sunrises!!!  But yeah I do like night running so hopefully I'll be ok.  Not sure about 'gutsy', but they do have drop bags so I should be ok as long as I can stay awake.

Sue; I also thought of Jack on my 5k this morning.

tbd.

Daydreamer1

Have to get cleaned up from vacation. Might get in a 4 mile walk with DW today.

Jamie - For me taking 2-3 weeks off would be the death knell for my race but everyone is different. Maybe you could just do some walking.  This year was rough for me and I ended up doing a lot of walking on my "runs".  I thought that it kept the legs active and helped to avoid a loss of fitness. Also once I gave myself permission to walk more my mental outlook improved.  YMMV.  If you get out on some trails just walking fast and stopping often to smell the roses or take in a view may be just what you need to rejuvenate both legs and mind.

AT - Sounds like your friends mom went the way I would want to go. Quick is always rough on the family but often easier than a lingering decline.

QOTD:  I never have.

Jamie's comment made me think back to 2011 when I started trail running. I had done a few short runs on trails in August and early September.  When that flooding hit I had a long, for me, trail run planned. It was on a half marathon course that I didn't really know and didn't realize the storm had dumped as much rain in that area. Probably 1/3 of the course was under water. I was running/slopping through 4+ inches of standing and running water with a couple of knee deep sections. Lots of fun and I was hooked.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

still rainy and cool here (no complaints!)

will strength train this evening

qotd: no, but this years Rut the 50k folks had a completely different course for their Sunday race due to winter weather, we ran on Saturday and got the full course

qotd2: weekend plans?  I'm going to try something a little different- have had three 18-20 mile long runs (one a race) the past three weekends, with a 30k the following weekend, going to try two back to back shorter long runs 12-ish miles) this weekend instead; also watch the Griz playing at Cal Poly- the Griz are off to a good start and ranked 6th in the FCS

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

qotd2: weekend plans? 

Big plans. DD#1 will be home for 10 days to help prepare for a wedding that she's in next weekend.  We pick her up in Baltimore tomorrow.  Haven't seen her in several months so will be great to have her home.  I'm sure we'll hike or run together while she's home.  Family partyon Sunday so everyone can see her.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Got in 4+ miles on the very dry and dusty trails in Rock Creek. The creek is also very low. We could use some of MT's rain out here.  And it was slow going, but I conquered some hills that usually give me trouble so there's that.

qotd: Only a 15k that was shortened due to ice and rutted packed snow.  After a few miles of traversing those conditions, I was grateful for the shorter course.

Weekend plans involve heading to the beach and running a (road) 5 miler on Sunday with the kids and friends. This is our annual brewery run (Dogfish Head) and it is always lots of fun.  It's supposed to be low 70's, less humid and sunny. Perfect.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Me and Earl ran little over 5 this morning.  It was cold...fall is here...overdressed.  No news on Jack yet, they haven't removed the catheter yet.  They were going to do some ultrasounds and die test before hand.  Waiting sucks!

QOTD:  Nope.

QOTD2:  Wait to see if we bring Jack home.  Old man has a CT on Saturday.

AT...what DD said:  Living on your own until 92 and then dropping dead.  Sounds like a good way to go. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Planning on a late run tonight, but it will only be short as I'll have to be back at work by 4 a.m..

QOTD: The Hyner 50k was re-routed on a section due to flooding, but the distance stayed the same. I did not really notice the changes.

QOTD2: Perhaps buy a car (used and cheap). Work. Run, if there's any chance.

Good luck to Jack!

Run for fun.

NHLA

6 miles on the mt.

qotd  four times.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Broke in my new Glycerine 14s with an easy 5 miles.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

some call me Tim

Way late to the party, but just wanted to weigh in on Jamie's question:

You'll lose some fitness, no doubt, if you take 3 weeks off. It's gonna end up being your top gear that gets hurt the most... if training has been good, or even solid for more than one cycle, you'll lose very little of the long term adaptations. In short, I would expect at a slower pace that there would be no problem with finishing (other than those that always come with these races). But I wouldn't count yourself out, like DD said, some walks should be helpful, you'll probably bounce back more quickly than with strict rest, too. I'd also get on the foam roller or whatever mobility work you're familiar with every day. Say you take it easy for a week, then kind of move into a taper mode, where you're getting your legs turning over again and getting out in the woods at the absolute best time of year.

I hope you see this. Don't worry. You'll turn it around, and you're smart to take rest now. All the best!