Trailer Trash

Saturdaily (Read 28 times)

Birdwell

Good morning folks!

got in 10 late last night.

Good luck racers!

Random topic time -

I'm trying to salvage the training cycle I'm currently in. August went to crap due to the babies hospitalization and I got in 1/2 the mileage I wanted too. Anyone have any tips as to how best to spend the next 10 weeks before my 50K?

QOTD: Shoes and socks. What's tickling your fancy these days?

Still digging the Swiftwick socks. Shoes are another story, no real love there. The Altra Superiors aren't working the way I thought they would. Getting ready to try a few new things, but not sure what that will be.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Good morning, Birdwell!  I'm going to head out for an actual trail run.  My first one!  There will be walking involved, but more running than walking, so I'm going to count it as a run.

10 weeks - 2 week taper = 8 weeks.  I would try and get in (2) 20s in there if possible.  You can fake your way through a 50K if you're just looking to finish.

QOTD: Balega socks on the road, Drymax on the trail.  That's worked for me for years.  For shoes I am definitely loving my new Pearl Izumi H3s on the road.  My trusty Montrail Mountain Masochists are still going on the trail.

Running is dumb.

runtraildc

Morning folks! It's hot, humid and I have a cold. All three of which are telling me not to go for a run, so I'm heading to the gym in a bit for a short treadmill jog and a strength workout.  I just have to hang in there for another 24 hours and this heat spell is going to break- tomorrow is going to be glorious.  Perfect running weather.

Sorry, Birdwell, I can't give you any advice on your training plan other than to say 'good luck'.

qotd:  Still in love with my smartwool socks.  And my Cascadia 7s.  I did put on my Asics trail 2170s (now discontinued) after a long hiatus and remembered why these were my go to shoes for years.  Good thing I have another pair in the closet

Queen of Nothing

Sue

No run today...hanging at the river.

Qotd: what trailrundc first sentence said exactly...

Birdwell Mandy's advice was good...and Ilike the statement about faking it.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

10 miles this morning.  The brutal conditions continue (Sorry I'm sure you're tired of hearing about it, but think how I feel running in it...)

Birdwell - I was thinking along the same lines as MM.  You've got 8 weeks to get some good training in.  Ramp up slowly the next two to three weeks, then run your butt off (I'd do more than just two 20 milers in those remaining weeks). Don't forget your rest days., then a 2 week taper.  Fully agree that you can fake your way through a 50k.

qotd: I'm sticking with my thin wicking socks and Asics Nimbus road shoes for all roads and trails.  Works for me, for example my feet were soaking wet (from sweat) by mile 3 this morning and the cooler thin socks and good draining shoes are a must.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Back from a long, crazy day at work, and trying to figure out where to run now. My double-dip loop looks tempting, but so does the Long Mountain trail (which really is a long trail up the mountain). Decisions, decisions...

Birdwell: like Mandy and Sandy said. That's about what my plan for the ES100 looked like after the pneumonia intermezzo - and I managed to fake my way through it. 

QOTD: for ES I tried Wigwam thin socks, and they worked great. On very steep routes I prefer thin socks to prevent my toes from bumping against the shoe. I also like the feetures thin socks, they drain well, keep my feet cool, and I don't get blisters.

Shoes: Cascadia 7's (when I need protection), or PureGrits's (when I want the light step).

Run for fun.

Daydreamer1

Last several days at work have been totally crazy. At least I have the weekend off. Got in a nice slow 6.3 mile run last night. Ankle was really sore this morning. Ended up doing almost 40 miles on the bike today.  A little less then half of that was with DW and the rest was by myself.

Bird - I was progressing rather nicely toward my 50k that will be in 4 weeks, then I rolled my ankle at my marathon. That cost me two weeks of running and now I have to build back up. My plan is to just try to get in a couple of 20+ mile runs between then and now. I'm going to shorten my taper to 1 week at the most and the run the 50k. I think I can fake my way through it.

Sandy - I feel your pain. I've run in Mississippi heat and humidity. It was brutal

QOTD:  Mostly use Wrightsock double layer. They work for me. No blisters, maybe a little hotter then others. Shoes are mostly Hokas. My favorites are the Bondi. Don't like the Stinsons.

I tore something in my calf, so I am on the disabled list Sad

QOTD: Shoes - Brooks Cascadias, socks sometimes REI coolmax "light hikers" and sometimes Wigwam merino wool.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

moonlightrunner

Volunteered at Woodstock today. I very much enjoyed working at the overnight aid station for the hunted milers. I have a respect for those who put on such an event and the amount of work involved in even just the aid station logistics. The runners were amazing and the conditions difficult.

Qotd: I love my new Rev 6. It is wonderful and fits my body and needs for my runs.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Brian Runner

Finished my first 100k on Saturday, wearing Wigwam socks and the Patagonia EVERlong as my shoe.