Trailer Trash

Global Warming Tuesday (Read 45 times)

sugnim

Good morning all.  It's crazy warm here in Western Montana, and there is no sign of any snow in the near future.  Our trails are brown, and the sun is out.  It's nice, but it has me worried about wildfire season this summer.

I had a symbolic 6.5 mile run in the hills yesterday afternoon that felt great.  Last year on MLK Day, I ran that same route & got very sick mid-run.  I dry-heaved all the way home in 7 degrees and I was sick for about 3 months afterward.  The docs didn't know what caused it, but I felt terrible & didn't really get much running in, unless you count running to the bathroom.  Anyway, I'm doing much better these days, and so I decided to take on that same route again this year.  It was sunny & in the high 40's with no snow, and it felt good to run through the grassy hills--it made me appreciate my good health.  

QOTD: Building on yesterday:  What is the best job you ever had?

For me, it is my current job as a paralegal for a local law firm.  I have my own office, a window, and a boss who really appreciates my work.  He even lets me leave early on Tuesdays & Thursdays to get a run in!

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Morning all!

Sugnim - nice job on the redemption miles! (redemption doesn't seem like the right word, but close enough)

The plan is for 6-7 today.  I was going to do (3) 1 mile @ 5k pace intervals, but I will probably just put in a high effort for the snowy sidewalk run I'm going to end up with.

QOTD: The job I currently have is easily the best.  Best pay, nobody looking over my shoulder, good perks (and improving regularly).  The work is mostly in NYC and for construction, it doesn't really get any bigger.

I do have lot's of responsibility though as I am responsible for making sure we have safe working conditions for a bunch of union construction workers who are doing dangerous work day in and day out.  Not super rewarding in a traditional sense...a good day for me, nothing happens...a bad day for me means someone else had a worse day (injury).

**Ask me about streaking**

Occasional Runner

Heading out now for some trail miles behind the house with my bride. I'm taking us to an area where we can leave the trail and hunt for shed antlers. It's a spot where I'm seeing a lot of mule deer right now and they're beginning to drop.

QOTD: Probably a job I had in my mid 20's. It was my first management position and I was treated very well. Being young and stupid, I quit because I got an offer from a leading company in our area. Huge mistake.

Hi all. SNOWPOCALYPSE is upon us (6-16 inches? ) and we've been authorized to work at home, so I'm heading to the gym to run a few miles on the treadmill at lunch, then will head home after that.

QOTD: My current job is the only office job I've ever had. While the perks/benefits of it are amazing (great pay, flexible schedule, good people) I hate the actual work. I liked working at Starbucks one summer.....but obviously did not reap any of the benefits I do now. Working on a side event planning business that I hope to get off the ground within the next year or so.

TripleBock

We are having one of the better downhill skiing seasons - Been skiing since Mid-November.  Cold lately -10F this AM.

I ran trails Saturday and pushed 6+ inches of fress poweder for 10 miles.  Today will be Treadmill Hills after work.

Same for me ...

QOTD: My current job is the only office job I've ever had. While the perks/benefits of it are amazing (great pay, flexible schedule, good people) I hate the actual work. I liked working at ...

Any physical job I had - From working on a farm (16 Yo), Delivering beer, removing asbestos, factory work.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

Gator eye

Come on over Sugnim, we got lots of snow, ice and cold on the east side.

10 cold, lonely miles this morning, at minus 5 with a hefty wind I decided to leave Mr. jangles at home. It's one thing for me to risk a little frost bite cause I'm the dumb ass going out the door but the dog would go till his paws fell off and never issue a single complaint. Tomorrow more of the same.

QOTD: My best job ever was about 20 years ago, I worked for a excavator and ran all sorts of heavy equipment, bulldozers, excavators, backhoe, dump truck. It was like when I was a little kid playing in the sand box with my toy trucks except they were real life size and I got paid for it. Now I got this life sucking office job and dream of getting another job like that when my last kid graduates.

runtraildc

Morning!  Probably going to end up being a gym day.  We tried to take a ski day, but had to turn back due to deteriorating road conditions.  And it was just starting.  Oh well, sledding later for sure.  I'll get a hill workout

qotd:  Oh, this is a hard one since, despite the occasional tedium and bothersome people, I've mostly enjoyed all of my jobs and have always walked away feeling as if I was valued and learned something (yes, even with the narcissist).  But, the most adventurous one that stands out was working as a biologist on commercial fishing boats (mostly in Alaska).  To this day I hold close many memories of people I met  and the amazing places that I got to experience.

Birdwell

Morning folks!

I'll get in 4-5 after work with the dog.

QOTD: The first real job I had was the best. I was as a custodian for a local school district. I got to clean the administrative offices.

I've been really lucky with most of the jobs I've had (with a few notable exceptions)

My current job is turning out pretty great so far.

AT-runner

Tim

Sugnim, No global warming here.  Here's a picture so you can remember what snow looks like. (nice redemption!).

Ran 10 miles with a running buddy today as the snow was coming down.  He's a faster runner, so it was nice to be pushed.  Our initial footing was pretty good so we both left our screw shoes in the car.  30 minutes later we were cursing that decision.  Every 10 steps was like moving 8 steps forward with all the slipping and sliding.  All in all a great run.

QOTD:  I would have to pick my volunteer job of coaching.  I especially like working with HS kids and over the past 34 years have coached swimming, basketball and XC.  I just "retired" from XC after 8 years, and now looks like I'm heading back to coach age group swimming where I'll work with 13 and older.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I ran 3 glorious trail miles yesterday.  Why glorious? Because I was where I love to be.  Didn't really feel great.  Hurtin a bit today.  A couple times I just stopped and listened.  I heard the golden sound of silence in the woods in winter.  Not much like it!

QOTD: Best job is the one I have.  Why? Because I am still employed.  Not my favorite as far as what I am doing but pay and benefits the best I have had.  They are also helpingme pay for school so I have to say they are good.  My favorite though was working as a D & A counselor.  Very challenging but rewarding when you saw someone succeed!

Have a great day.  Sugnim - we'll send you some of the snow we are getting today.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jonferg67

Endless trails

Cold and a little blizzard headin our way here in Mass. I did 6 road miles this

morning and I was SORE, really sore. I did 14 road miles Sat., 10 trail miles

Sun. and rested Mon., those road miles kicked my ass! I'm rarely still sore on

a Tues run.

I like redemption miles, nice job sugnim!

QOTD: Best job was my time in the Coast Guard, especially the heavy weather

boat operator days. I learned how to punch through 18-20foot breaking surf, and

other types of heavy weather. I was young and cocky and was able to do very cool

things with that 44foot motor lifeboat, dangerous as shit too.

AT-runner

Tim

My favorite though was working as a D & A counselor.  Very challenging but rewarding when you saw someone succeed!

That would be pretty cool.  I've had 2 relatives with alcohol issues (I know, Irish family, go figure), and counselors saved their lives.

Marley and I had a nice 5 mile trail run before the winter storm hit. There was a light chop on the reservoir and it was breaking the ice in a cove as we ran by, The sound was pretty musical.

We grabbed a few groceries before our run so now we can stay in for a while if this storm winds up being as bad as expected.

QOTD:  Being retired.  Best by a HUGE margin.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

AT-runner

Tim

QOTD:  Being retired.  Best by a HUGE margin.

Show-off 

jonferg67

Endless trails

My favorite though was working as a D & A counselor.  Very challenging but rewarding when you saw someone succeed!

In May 1991 a D & A counselor helped me come to terms with something I didn't even think I had. I haven't had a

drink since May 31, 1991, NOT an easy task in the military.