Trailer Trash

Philly area routes (ok DC, too) (Read 25 times)

some call me Tim

Hey, I know a few of you are from SE PA and I'm looking for route ideas - maybe 5-15 miles. In a couple of weeks I'll be in west Philly visiting friends and none are runners. The neighborhood they live in(Hazel Ave) I would describe as tough but close-knit but I'm not sure what direction to head. In the past I've been in some exceptionally sketchy areas in the city that I'd just as soon not include in a running route. I'd appreciate any ideas.

Actually, I'll be just south of DC later this week so any ideas there would be welcome, too. I can usually find something and finding a route is one of my favorite things to do while traveling (SF still waaay at the top of the list as far as cities go) but I figured I'd put out a feeler.

Thanks!

runtraildc

Blarg,  depending on how far south of DC you are, I'd recommend Prince William Forest Park and a little closer in, Fountainhead Regional Park.  Prince William is a national park and a hidden jewel in this region.  The OSS CIA 50M was run there this past weekend.  Lots of trails, all woods and streams, and hills.

Occasional Runner

In Philly, I would definitely recommend Fairmount Park, specifically the yellow trail. You can string a long loop together (22 miles I think) if you cut across the river (lavender trail?) and get on the brown trail. There are so many options in that park that you can make into whatever you want. There are a few good places nearby to grab some food, too.

some call me Tim

Thanks, ya'll. runtraildc, I'm gonna try to get to fountainhead which is pretty close but to start with it looks like I can run a ways along the river right from this weird resort (my wife is at a convention). Kelly, I'm looking forward to fairmount park- should be pretty close to run to as well

Definitely hit Wissahickon Valley Park for the best/longest trails. If you don't have a car, head to Belmont Plateau, located in West Philly close to the Schuylkill.

If you're here during the week, go for a run with the West Philly Runners. I don't run with them because I live annoyingly far from West Philly but it's a great group of runners.