Trailer Trash

Wikileaks Wednesday (Read 18 times)

LB2

Five wet miles through the woods this morning. It was cool and clear this morning.

QOTD: Regardless of the longest distance you may run, how many "key" long runs do you generally have in a training cycle?

Typically, I will have 3 to 5 long runs that I consider to be "key" for a 100 mile event. Usually, it is 3 that roughly look like this: Two 50K distance or 6 hours. One 50 mile or 10 hour run 4 to 6 weeks out (Or a 100K or 12 hour run 6 weeks out).

I have other long runs that are important, but they are usually 20 to 25 every other week and sometimes back to back. I write a general plan out and then adjust based on how I am feeling. For someone who runs an ultra every month or so, this may not be applicable. However, I normally only run one or two per year, so I don't normally do events for training runs. Mainly, I don't run events as training runs because most local stuff is done with multiple loops, and I can just set up my own aid and run some 10 mile loops solo on some trails that have all I need for free.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Morning!  Got in 3+ at the gym last night.

QOTD: Honestly for me it really just depends of what kind of time I have.  It's not usually much so I fit in LRs when I can.  I never feel fully trained but somehow have managed to get through.  Which leads me to the belief that training is over rated.

Have a great day!

Oh by the way - DD - the check is in the mail buddy!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

Going to head over to Cades Cove and do a short run/walk with DW, probably a little less than 4 miles.  Looks like it should be a nice day.

Jamie - I'll be watching for it...............the same as I'm still watching for DS's to show up. I made him the same offer and he said he'd send it through. Haven't seen it yet.  ha ha.  BTW, it's always nice to not need to spend it right away but be very, very, quite when discussing this with your wife. The house and car might hear it and want you to buy them something .

QOTD:  The longer and tougher the race the more I want. For the 50k length or the hard marathon+ distances that I've done so many of I like to have at least 5-6 runs of over 20 miles. Rarely works out that way for me but if I can get in two or three runs of 75-80% of the race distance then I am happy and can tell that it's beneficial. Last year for my 50 miler I really wanted 3-4 30+ mile runs. In the end I only got in 1 and that was in late July with the race being in late October.  I'd love to get a good training cycle in to see if it really helps.  I've thought about writing a plan down but something always happens to mess it up so I don't bother.

AT-runner

Tim

I thought I'd have to start it off today, and was going to use Wiretap Wednesdaily as the title. Great minds think alike. 

5-6 at lunch on the roads of the Battlefield.

I didn't luck out yesterday with drizzle, it turned into heavy rain shortly after I started. I was chilled to the bone when I was done since temps were in the lower 40's. Thank God for heated seats, it's been a while since I was that cold during a run, but the only thing that could gave helped is if I had a hood on my jacket, since most of the rain was just running under my jacket from my head.

QOTD:  I do 20 milers often and will add a 50K or do back to back at least 2-3 times before the race. Jumping up to a 48 hr event this year, so I have a 20-10-20 planned where I run Saturday am and pm and then Sunday am. If that goes well, I'll do it 2 times.

DW and were talking last night and decided if the government wants to listen to us through our Samsung Smart TV, they'd be pretty bored.

DW - "How far are we running tomorrow?"

AT - "At least 16, but we can see how we feel."

AT - "What do you want to watch tonight / stream tonight?"

DW - "Doesn't matter, you decide, I'll just fall asleep on the couch like every night"

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

5.75 today along the malecon... Enjoyed my picture yesterday AT.   I pRtied to hard Monday and was a wee bit out of it yesterday.

qotd:  i don't train...I just wing it.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

QOTD:  I do 20 milers often and will add a 50K or do back to back at least 2-3 times before the race. Jumping up to a 48 hr event this year, so I have a 20-10-20 planned where I run Saturday am and pm and then Sunday am. If that goes well, I'll do it 2 times.

DW and were talking last night and decided if the government wants to listen to us through our Samsung Smart TV, they'd be pretty bored.

DW - "How far are we running tomorrow?"

AT - "At least 16, but we can see how we feel."

AT - "What do you want to watch tonight / stream tonight?"

DW - "Doesn't matter, you decide, I'll just fall asleep on the couch like every night"

1. I am interested to see how the 48 hour training goes for you. So, don't think we'll be bored hearing about it.

2. This whole wikileak/wiretap thing has me longing for the days before we were bombarded with more information than a normal human brain can process. Plus, I believe the vast majority of information is either biased, exaggerated, or totally false. Thus, most of the opinions or thoughts on a subject are not based on all the facts associated with the story. Perhaps ignorance really is bliss.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

1. I am interested to see how the 48 hour training goes for you. So, don't think we'll be bored hearing about it.

So am I.

Have no idea how my body will work on day #2. I think, after several tries,  I have the 24 hr figured out. We're going for distance totals first and then will reevaluate our goals after that and see how our aging bodies do.  14 people signed up, so we'll have plenty of company.

AT-runner

Tim

5.75 today along the malecon... Enjoyed my picture yesterday AT.   I pRtied to hard Monday and was a wee bit out of it yesterday.

I just typed into Google "add crown to a picture" and it gave me a website. Took 2-3 minutes. Thought it would be your FB profile picture by now.

This interweb thingie still amazes me at times.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

got a nice 5-ish in yesterday; without microspikes I would have been screwed!  Lots and lots of solid ice- I need to give them a quick sharpening, steep descents were a little sketchy

we got more snow last night, more today and the next couple of days- winter isn't over yet

qotd: no scientific plan for me; I try to get one in a week- can vary between 12-25 miles, more likely on the lower end vs higher. I do try to get one "good" long run a couple weeks out from a race, if possible I try to get close to the distance and close to the elevation

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

No run yet today, but the plan is for an easy run at Green Lane tonight, 7 or so miles on the south side of the lake. Yesterday I ran the rail trail outside of town, so 8.5 miles out and back. Fairly mild, with a mix of sun turning to clouds at sunset and even a short bit of drizzly rain. I worked up a pretty good sweat though, in an attempt to negative split my run. I did so, but I still consider it a pedestrian pace for "steady state" run. Embrace the other side of 55 XT!

QOTD: I'd say 2 or 3 max are key runs. Obviously I do more than that but most of them are build up, maintenance type long runs. Last year for Mohican100 training I like to say I kicked off my training with a 58 mile long run at Whispering Pines in February (12 hour run), then followed that up with six to eight 20+ miles runs, but only 2 of those long runs of 26 and 32 miles were key/race prep type runs. This year will be something similar, but I only had 53 miles as the long run for the kickoff to my training.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

Quick drive by today.  I had a SRD today.  Can't run after work 'cause we're going to dinner as a group tonight. We're doing a dinner cruise on the Seine. 🚢

qotd:  mix of 50k, 50 mi and b2b 20 milers.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

How would you even set a goal for something this other than to survive? I mean if you say 160 miles but once you get around the 100 mile mark you go into a death march/need to sleep/get my head screwed on phase, it would throw everything out the window - for me anyway.  Maybe you just use this as a baseline. Whatever happens and then next time you compare to the baseline.  All that to say I just cannot wrap my brain around it. 

So am I.

Have no idea how my body will work on day #2. I think, after several tries,  I have the 24 hr figured out. We're going for distance totals first and then will reevaluate our goals after that and see how our aging bodies do.  14 people signed up, so we'll have plenty of company.

AT-runner

Tim

How would you even set a goal for something this other than to survive? I mean if you say 160 miles but once you get around the 100 mile mark you go into a death march/need to sleep/get my head screwed on phase, it would throw everything out the window - for me anyway.  Maybe you just use this as a baseline. Whatever happens and then next time you compare to the baseline.  All that to say I just cannot wrap my brain around it. 

Our distance goals are not set high.  Not much written about how to deal with a 48hr event, so we don't have much advice to look at.  What I have seen is varying sleep strategies that work for some and not for others. That will be the real challenge, trying to find out when and how long to take breaks for sleep.  In 24 hour events, I've seen some people who stop for 10-15 minutes and some stop for several hours.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I would agree the sleep schedule is probably the biggest "new" challenge to deal with.  Most everything else you have knowledge of (nutrition, pain, energy, foot issues, etc.)  But the sleep....

Our distance goals are not set high.  Not much written about how to deal with a 48hr event, so we don't have much advice to look at.  What I have seen is varying sleep strategies that work for some and not for others. That will be the real challenge, trying to find out when and how long to take breaks for sleep.  In 24 hour events, I've seen some people who stop for 10-15 minutes and some stop for several hours.

So you should practice your run, walk, sleep, repeat method, right? Just hopefully not sleep walking....although maybe that could work.