Trailer Trash

Hey PA runners...Blues Cruise 50k? (Read 22 times)

jmctav23

2/3rds training

Looking for some input on this race as I'm considering a trip back home to PA and I always enjoy getting a low elevation race in when I can.  I like the one big loop structure, the affordable entry fee, and the cooler temps of the fall.  Anybody done it?  Looks like a pretty fast course just from the finishing times.  Is spectating/crewing possible without too much driving around?  Is there beer at the finish (I was pretty disappointed that the dirty german lacked sudz to wash down the brats at the end)?

Edited to add...Any other good fall "short" ultra options?  Just found the Green Monster, which looks right up my alley but is a bit far from my parents place in Pottstown.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Check out the "trail apps" for Pretzel City races https://www.pretzelcitysports.com/ - not ultras but shorter trail races in Berks Co.

Also check out in my sig line the link for harrisburg trail runners and check out the races.  There are some listed by month.  Certainly not all in the eastern part of PA but it would give you some options.  SuperHike is an option and Labor Pains 12 hr come to mind.

I have done BC once.  I am secretly working my way back to that for this year.  Ok not a secret so much anymore.  It's an "easy" course as far as PA goes.  It can be fast.  Lots of good smooth trails mixed with some roller coaster type trails mixed with a couple smallish climbs.  The aide stations are about the best I have seen or heard of.  Tons of food.  They not only have beer at the finish line but at aid stations.  It's easy to get to some of the Aid Stations for your peeps.  Th trail is a simply circumnavigation of Blue Marsh Lake.  Some of what I call the back section takes a bit of navigation through back roads but that might not be necessary.  I ran this as my first ultra in 2011 - ran in 5:50 and I am slow.  Winning times usually under 4.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

Huh.. your parents are in my neck of the woods. I live a few miles up route 100 in douglass township.

I do some training out at Blue Marsh a few times a year. It's a perfect place for a 23 or 30 mile loop. The trail is fairly easy for these parts. Not very rocky, pretty flat, with rolling hills. There are a few climbs I will hike out there but for the most part run the whole loop. I've done the race twice... back in 2007, 2009 both times sub5 but winnings times are under 4 like Jamie says. The course was out/back at that time for some reason. Might slightly harder now with the full loop but just by a little. Should be easy to crew if you need such a thing for a 50k. Most of the aid stations would be close to PA-183, with the exception of maybe one or two on south side of the lake. Not sure about beer.. it's on Corp of Engineer Land.. I know when I ran it folks brought there own but used discretion.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Let me edit my response slightly.  I do not remember alcohol at the finishing line (like XT said, it's on corps land so probably not allowed there) but definitely is offered at aid stations - not so visible - usually off to the side or under a table in a cooler.

And the course used to be the out n back on the easiest portion of the trail so finishing times before 2011 are faster.  The complete loop makes it much more enjoyable!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jmctav23

2/3rds training

The more I read about the Green monster, the more appealing it is.  Harder in every way (logistically and effort wise) but the steep course is tugging at my legs.  Just have to get my sis on board (probably for the short course).

Occasional Runner

Blues Cruise is a fun little jaunt. Easy running on rolling hills. I don't know what the rules are, but if I ran it, then I almost certainly drank beer there. Yes...now that I really think about, I know I drank beer there.

I doubt there will be beer at the finish, but probably bangin' potato pancakes. I did the loop twice this year, once at the Naked Bavarian marathon (same RD, same trail) and then once in training. If I get inspired to run more ultras this year I may do this one because it is a really runnable and pretty trail.

For reference, at the Naked Bavarian the AS around mile 19 had Dale's Pale Ale and Yuengling. I went with the lager even though I love Dale's, it's too harsh for a mid-race beer.

AT-runner

Tim

I've run Blues a few times.  Was an out and back race and a few years back they switched to the loop.  Much nicer course now and really a well run event.  Pagoda Pacers put it on (Ron at PCS just times it) and all of the AS's are manned by ultrarunners.  I'll try to find some old RR's or a few pictures, but you'll love the race if you do it.  Not overly technical and not the classic PA rocks, but the glimpses of the lake are always nice along the way.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!