Trailer Trash

Mondailies (Read 36 times)

It is getting a little sticky again.  Marley and I still had a great 6 mile trail run at a pretty good pace and mostly on single track trail.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

LB2

Had a great week last week on the trails. Worked out at the gym this morning for about an hour, no running today.

LB2

DigDug2

SRD for me.  My legs and the rest of me are tired - I think I'm due for a cutback week.

Any recommendations on water filters/purification methods?  I'm looking at an unsupported run in September where runners are advised to carry their own water and bring water purification tools.

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today.

QOTD: I use this Sawyer filtration system.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Hey I ran last night.  Or jogged ...or slogged.  2.5 miles.  It's amazing I remembered how to.

Sandy - I read the posts from over the weekend.  Congrats.  But wow that is quite last minute huh? Guess that is how it works.  Be ready.  So happy for you.  Can't wait to hear about your adventure.  Wish I could follow it (assuming there is a webcast) but I will be very busy moving this weekend.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

I was planning on a 6-7 mile run but my left calf is sore from my Saturday evening run, so It looks like a bike ride might be more appropriate.

QOTD: No experience with this. I'm looking to pick up some purification tablets to carry for emergencies.

runtraildc

Morning!  a short run planned with a friend tonight during swimming.  I think we may have a third mom join us, so this might be a start to a trail running revolution here in the DC burbs.  I try my best to keep friends off the roads.

Boyjame- congrats on your run!

qotd:   I usually adapt to the local recommendations.  I'll use chemical if that works,  but some areas it is recommended filters only.  but I don't have a system that I've used lately that I'd highly recommend.  DD2- where are you going?

SRD today.

QOTD: I use this Sawyer filtration system.

I have used that one as well and like it fine, but the newer Sawyer Mini might be a better choice.  It is smaller, lighter, cheaper, and more simple.  It may need cleaning sooner though.  That last should not be an issue for your usage.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Sandy-2

I plan to do a few run/walk miles after work today.  Total taper mode.

bojame:  Yup, last minute.  The worst part is I live a sea level and Hardrock is at very high altitude with huge climbs.  No acclimating for me, I'm gonna show up the day before and hope for the best.  Good luck on your move.

qotd: Sorry, no experience with water filtration systems.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Watoni

SRD today or a short climb on the bike ... recovering from a sprained ankle I picked up in Europe (long story).

QOTD: Got nothing

LB2

QOTD: I have used iodine tablets when I was in the Marines, and I have melted snow. I've used those tablets quite a few times. I have never used a filtration system.

LB2

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

17 or 18 miles in the humid heat (86F, dewpoint at 66), to adjust for my August race. I must have run a fairly fast pace (for me), and now I'm flattened. Good thing to know that this was around 18% of the distance and elevation gain of the race. Hey, this will be a piece of cake! 

Came across a 3- ft timber rattlesnake, which was basking in the sun, smack across the trail. I was lucky that it was a double track gravel path there, so there was enough space to walk around it, while it was very slowly disappearing into the grass. How do snakes move forward when they don't bend but stay perfectly straight? Puzzling.

And I am always amazed by how beautiful the timber rattlers are. This one was the "black" variety, with a beautiful yellow and blueish-brown diamond pattern on its back. Head, neck and tail velvety black. The head is fairly small, so they don' look as scary as other rattlers. And it sure looked absolutely organic and natural in its environment. I must have stood there, watching it, for a full minute or two.

Sandy: I guess the altitude will be a big challenge, but your frequent intercontinental flights may actually work out well for you in this respect: free high-altitude exposure for significant periods of time. Now you know you shouldn't get bored or annoyed at these long flights, they count as training! 

Jamie: Yay! Awesome, I hope your feet will hold up now!

QOTD: never used a filtration pump, just iodine tablets.

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

I have used that one as well and like it fine, but the newer Sawyer Mini might be a better choice.  It is smaller, lighter, cheaper, and more simple.  It may need cleaning sooner though.  That last should not be an issue for your usage.

TT - I like that one.  Either one is easy enough to carry in a hydration pack.

Iodine and other treatment pills work well for killing stuff, but water might still be pretty cloudy.  I've used some Gatorade powder to mix with iodine treated water to kill the taste.

Sandy - good luck with fast your paced preparations.  Anyone else that you know running this year (CGerber ?)?

Jamie - Yay for running, even if it's a small step.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Gator eye

Hi everyone, it's been a while sense my last check in but I'm still at it. After the weekends hot and humid 20 I did a slow mile at  a 15% grade for  a recover run this morning.

QOTD: I've done the iodine tables in the service but not sense

moonlightrunner

I ran a nice 5ish tonight after work. I forgot to put my garmin on. It was a nice run.

Tomorrow I am running with the personbo met at the trailhead the other day. I am hoping we can plan some longer runs together as the September race approaches. I think anyway....the pressure of running with someone else has positive and negative aspects.

Qotd: I have never used a filtration system. I would love to go on a running adventure some day that requires one.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k