Trailer Trash

Sting-Stung Saturdaily (Read 23 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Good afternoon.  Hope all the racers are doing well. Hopefully Dd1 is getting some redemption at his race, and keystone and Gator are doing well.

Ran 12 with DW this morning while we explored a bit.  Trail wasn't as overgrown as I thought it might be, so that was nice. On the way in, something flew into my moth and stung me on the area where soft and hard palate meet. I coughed/spit it out and was worried I'd swell up.  After a few minutes I could feel a bump there but no airway swelling.  When we were done DW looked in my mouth and saw nice little raised spot.  I'm lucky I don't react to stings, or this could have been bad since we were about 2 miles from the car and any roads. Took some benadryl just in case when I got home.

QOTD:  Anyone have any encounters with stinging or biting insects on the trail? Anyone have bad allergies?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Hi trailers- got in an instant run this am- heard coyotes, elk, saw the sunrise pver the steaming river and came across a small group of elk.  Not bad for 3 miles.  Now in Bozeman for laundry, groceries and DH.

qotd:  nope, but I've managed field incidents for stings and anaphylaxis and previously unknown and serious allergies.  Reminds me that our immune systems are always changing.  Pretty scary.

moonlightrunner

AT, I was thinking about something happening like that and wondering if it would cause the airway to swell. Sometimes, out on a run by myself I think of the strangest things! I'm glad it turned out ok. I have certainly had my share of bugs fly into my mouth or up my nose. I think I've aspirated a few also. No stinging ones though!

Today's run was 7 at the State park. It was beautiful and felt great. Certainly an abundance of signs of fall. Red and yellow leaves, underbrush die off, and the birds are quiet.seems like just a few weeks I was wondering if we would ever get leaves.

Yesterday's run was 5 on the gravel bike path pushing 2 toddlers in the double stroller. I have decided that hill repeats pushing them could train me for a mountain race!

I hope all is well with you all...and racers are having great times!

Qotd: I don't react to stings badly, but I also know that can change abruptly.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

muppy

7.7 miles last night, I  had some bonus miles when I miss judged the distance back to my car .

QOTD AT I  hope your mouth is all right! I can say I've never got stung inside the mouth before.

I've gotten some minor stings out running, but the worst I've ever got it I was trimming bushes and stepped on a yellow jackets nest in the ground in about seven or eight of them flew up my shorts and stung me ( luckily the man bits were spared)

AT-runner

Tim

7.7 miles last night, I  had some bonus miles when I miss judged the distance back to my car .

QOTD AT I  hope your mouth is all right! I can say I've never got stung inside the mouth before.

I've gotten some minor stings out running, but the worst I've ever got it I was trimming bushes and stepped on a yellow jackets nest in the ground in about seven or eight of them flew up my shorts and stung me ( luckily the man bits were spared)

I was thinking with your job, you must have had a sting or two. But I also thought, it could be possible Mr. Hershey had all the stinging insects removed from Chocolate Town.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NHLA

http://www.hikewnc.info/trailheads/pisgah-national-forest/long-distance/art-loeb-trail/

13 miles  Art Lobe Trail   I aviod this trail its so hard but its in a race I'm thinking about.

QOTD   DW got stung and had a reaction. Then 2 wks later she got multipal stings and she wound up in hospital.

She had never had a reaction before.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

A slow 9 miles this morning.  Hope to get out for similar tomorrow.

It sure is hot for ES100 today although the humidity doesn't seem to be too high.  The bright side is it looks to be perfect overnight.

QOTD: no and no...thankfully.  Well I take that back.  I am allergic to poison ivy...I get it pretty bad but have not had a case in many years.

Have a great night!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

I have not been for a run in a while.  I am nursing some apparently torn ligaments above and behind my right knee along with an old injury in the knee itself flaring up.

QOTD:  I am not too bad with bees, but react fairly badly to mosquito bites.  It does seem to depend on where I am.  I assume the mosquitoes must be different species in different parts of the country.  Some places they bother me and some they don't.  In all cases Benadryl fixes me up.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

13 miles early in the morning before work. Then 9 hours on my feet, running back and forth, and carrying heavy stuff at times. It felt hard, and worst of all, we are not allowed to drink in the workspace, and it was way too busy to get out for a drink. I thought I'd fall over and die from thirst, especially after the longish morning run. 

Saw a deer on the "upper" trail at a fork, it was watching me while I was running down. It probably thought what a clumsy jerk I was?

I might get in another 10 later today, picking up DD's bike from her school where she left it yesterday. At least that would help winding down after this crazy day.

I was remembering ES100, and that it was about the same hot (maybe a tad more humid) last year when I ran it. I hope DD1 and keystone are having fun there today. Might check the live tracking, if they have that set up.

QOTD: I've been stung a few times by yellow jackets and bumble bees, but I'm not allergic, so it was just uncomfortable, not dangerous. But I always wonder about getting stung in the mouth, too. I guess whether the swelling gets dangerous also depends on where the sting is, the further back, the more dangerous?

TT: My middle DS also has quite an impressive reaction to mosquito bites, with some kinds of mosquito worse than others. He needs Benadryl to treat it, otherwise the skin will disintegrate at the site of the bite, leaving a crater the size of somewhere from pinhead-size to dime-size! (And this without any scratching!)

Run for fun.

TT: My middle DS also has quite an impressive reaction to mosquito bites, with some kinds of mosquito worse than others. He needs Benadryl to treat it, otherwise the skin will disintegrate at the site of the bite, leaving a crater the size of somewhere from pinhead-size to dime-size! (And this without any scratching!)

I don't get the craters, but I do get welts all over even in places where I wasn't bitten.  I also get swollen joints especially in the hands.  I find for me that in addition to benadryl it also helps to wash the bite sites in cold water as soon as possible.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida