Trailer Trash

Thirty years ago today (Read 42 times)

Uh oh... now what?

It took a while for it to sink in.

http://rungentlyoutthere.com/30-years-ago-today/

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Now that you mention this, April 20th this year will be 45 years since my first marathon, a modest little affair in Boston.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Uh oh... now what?

A good date (for me).  That's a long time, George.  Forty-five years ago I had not yet run more than one-mile.  There have been a few times when I wish I had gone to Boston.  Was that your only trip there?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

John, I ran Boston three times, 1970 as my first marathon, then I returned in '71 and '72. I haven't been able to requalify since then because the open BQ standard when I ran 2:56 in 1980 was 2:50.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Thanks for that, John. Ron Nicholl is one of my heroes. Soon after I first started, he was running Mat Peak Challenge (out/back, 14mi, 9000ft) one weekend followed by the Res Pass 100mi (maybe only 50 mi at the time) - and he was in his 60s (about 10yr older than me). (says she as she is now in late 60s)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            LB2

That was a nice read, John.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Thanks for sharing John.  Congrats on 30 years.

Will you sit down and read any of your running diaries prior to recycling them? Might be worth some good reflection.

And congrats to you too WC.  45 years is a long time to be running.  Lots of running wisdom between you and John!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

Good post.. I have 18 more years before I can celebrate the 30th anniversary of my first one.

Nice photo.. the trail marker caught my eye. It looks exactly like the posts they use at Blue Marsh Lake (corp of engineer land).

In dog beers, I've only had one.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Very nice read, thank you, John. It's great to look back on years of running, and sometimrs, I regret not having kept running diaries. 30 years is a long time, but I can imagine if you browse through a diary, the details come back instantly.

Run for fun.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Very nice, John.  I hope one day I can say I've been running for 30 years.  23 more to go!

And what a cool photo, too!

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice read, John.  I ran the 1983 Marine Corps Marathon as my first.  I know I was wearing a lot of cotton and a pair of Nike shoes.  My longest training run before the race was 13 miles, because someone said "If you can run 13 miles, you can run a marathon" and I was a smart ass college kid at the time.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Uh oh... now what?

George -- That just boggles my mind.  I have been sort of active at this and that.  One of the few wishes I have is to wish I had discovered this love for endurance running earlier.  That is some really good running, both then and the journey you are on now.

AKTrail -- I spoke briefly with Ron at the start of Cascade Crest 100.  We both acknowledged a certain diminishing level of performance.  His voice was so full of emotion 34ish miles later, "John, you're 17 minutes late."  I knew.  It was nice to have a old familiar do the cutting.

LB2 -- Thank you.

boyjame -- Thank you.  I threw away several--checked for a "need" to keep first.  The level of detail changed so much over the years.  Started with temp, wind, which shoes (shoe mileage was noted), mood, mood swings, by the end I was just using a rough-guide spreadsheet taped on the wall.  Goals were made at the starting lines, except for Leadville--that was six months of concentration.

Xtreme Taper -- I hope I am here (that would be scary) to read about it.  The trail (and marker) is on Oregon State University property -- "The Mac".  The McDonald Forest 15/50k runs (five years in a row) were there.

FTYC -- Thank you.  Yes, details return.  What we have fun with is the differing views.  Some runs we were both out there.  I might have been running/racing; she might have been running/racing.  We both remember almost to the switchback the place she passed me.  She has a cruel streak in her to remember it so easily.

Mandy -- I am just happy to see you back out there.  The trials and patience you have faced and needed are great testimony to your character.  I used an hour glass because I couldn't find a sun dial.

AT -- Wow... as in the Marine Corps Marathon in DC?  That would be great--even now.  That is the only big city marathon I have ever wanted to do.  I would go crazy looking at all the monuments.  My first running shoes were adidas "countries"--the white shoes with three green stripes.  The good thing then (1984) was that you could get running shoes resoled -- about $10 and, presto, new shoes.

And today was just as good as most other days.  Along about the hour mark I looked for a junction to turn toward the car.