Trailer Trash

Vermont 100 RR- 2 Down, 2 To Go (Read 45 times)

Occasional Runner

I've never taken this long to put out a race report, but the move got in the way of getting it done.

Thanks for checking it out.

http://www.slippingslowlyintopain.com/2015/07/2015-vermont-100-because-its-part-of.html

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

yeah that didn't sound like much fun 

"This is entirely my fault, because I choose to run at 4:00 AM every day and rarely find myself training in the hottest part of the day."

I totally can relate to this.  Everything I've read says "train in the heat" and your body will slowly adapt to it- I have no doubt it's true, but I'm a heat sissy and will probably continue to run at 4:00 AM 

congratulations with two down and two to go- here's hoping the next two are better than the first two!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

The only time I hear good things about Vermont 100 is when someone does it for their first 100. After they run another race they reconsider what they thought they liked about Vermont.

Totally agree on the am running thing, but I just can't sit around and wait to get a run in just so I can get used to the heat and humidity.  Early morning runs for me, anytime.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

I hear that the third time you do Vermont it gets better...

Congrats Kelly.  Go get those last 2.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Daydreamer1

"This is entirely my fault, because I choose to run at 4:00 AM every day and rarely find myself training in the hottest part of the day."

I simply can't figure out how you morning people function. If I had to get up at that time to run it simply wouldn't happen.

Hopefully you have a more enjoyable time at Leadville. Based on the description of Vermont on their web site I wouldn't want to run it.

moonlightrunner

Congratulations, Kelly. I've been checking your website daily to read your report. I will definitely mark this off the list of possibilities for my first 100. It would feel like a road race and I am allergic.

Amazing grit and determination.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

NHLA

Congrats!  That course does look boring. A horse race must really tear up a trail

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I cannot, for any reason, figure out why Vermont is a part of the Grand Slam.  I know it is a long standing race and has some sort of history but it is not run on real trails, it is in the east (whereas the others are in the west), and it seemingly sucks.  Ok the one thing it has going for it is the timing with the others.  They are all 3-5 weeks a part it seems.  But there are so many other hundreds now, can't they possibly change this? Maybe a Western GS, and an eastern GS, and a mid western GS.  The possibilities are endless.

Well anyways, congrats on the finish.  26 hours with the walking the uphills, sleeping, and puking is still pretty good.

Having grown up in New England, I know Vermont has a lot of cool things. Apparently this race is not one of them.

Thanks as always for sharing.

(BTW - are there anymore GS participants out after Vermont?)

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Occasional Runner

I cannot, for any reason, figure out why Vermont is a part of the Grand Slam.  I know it is a long standing race and has some sort of history but it is not run on real trails, it is in the east (whereas the others are in the west), and it seemingly sucks.  Ok the one thing it has going for it is the timing with the others.  They are all 3-5 weeks a part it seems.  But there are so many other hundreds now, can't they possibly change this? Maybe a Western GS, and an eastern GS, and a mid western GS.  The possibilities are endless.

Well anyways, congrats on the finish.  26 hours with the walking the uphills, sleeping, and puking is still pretty good.

Having grown up in New England, I know Vermont has a lot of cool things. Apparently this race is not one of them.

Thanks as always for sharing.

(BTW - are there anymore GS participants out after Vermont?)

Vermont wasn't in the Grand Slam originally. For some reason, Old Dominion was removed from the Slam and replaced with Vermont. The OD100 has way more history and is a much better race, but I think there was some trouble with the RD, so they got the boot. I'm pretty sure they're trying to keep an east coast race in the Slam so they don't alienate the ultra runners on that coast.

42 runners started the Slam, and 2 more runners dropped from at Vermont, cutting the number to 23. They usually lose half at Leadville.

XtremeTaper

Sounds like you really enjoyed that one... again. Not.

Believe it or not I know someone who likes this race but they don't do well on technical trails. Myself, I'd never sign up for it. The few times I've done Massanutten there are a few gravel road sections down on the east of the mountain. So easy compared to the rest of the course but I was always so happy to get off them even though it meant a 1000+ foot climb. I can't imagine doing this race ever.

Halfway there at least. Congrats.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

DigDug2

Wow - that sounds really miserable from start to finish.

Keep Going

That is one of the best race reports ever! Seriously! I certainly will never do that race. Big congrats on knowing the race sucks but still having the mental toughness to do it. This race sound absolutely dreadful. Dirt roads and gravel roads aren't trail. I wouldn't even consider ATV trails as trails. This is a road race to me in the dead center of summer in the northeast which can be miserably humid like hotter then the Caribbean humid because there is no cool ocean breeze to cool you off...But you got it done. Keep moving forward! Smile

100 milers are my favorite

cowboyjunkie

Sorry you didn't enjoy. We spoke briefly with my friend Chris at check in and it seemed you were ready to be miserable from before the get go.

Vermont is certainly not everyone's cup of tea but it is very beautiful if you like idyllic New England countryside with some stunning views.It almost seems like we were on different courses, but we all have our own perspectives. Sure there was horse poop, but not a lot and easy not to step in since, as you mention, much of the course is on wide dirt roads. It got a little muddy after the rain, but I was counting my blessings that it wasn't June when Vermont had a lot more rain. It is a lot more enjoyable without the humidity as is any run. I will admit a bias since it is where I ran my first 100 and will always have a special hold on me because of that.

Anyway, best of luck with the rest of the series!

XtremeTaper

Hey CJ - Were you ears burning? Congrats on your race. I stalked your time and saw you did pretty good. You will still never see me at that race but that's why there are so many different types of ultras. Something for everyone.    (the emoticon here suck btw!)

In dog beers, I've only had one.

cowboyjunkie

Thanks Dave. I had a nice run! And of course now I am tempted to do it at least one more time for the stupid 500 mile buckle. Remember the stupid double buckle? Anyway, not for everyone as I said, but to me saying it's boring is like saying the Javelina course is boring because all you see are cacti and desert on a loopy loop course. Both are beautiful in their own ways