Trailer Trash

Running motivation changes over the years... (Read 33 times)

Ultra Cowboy

I've been thinking about what we do in our spare time when we are fundamentally dissatisfied with where we are in life.  It is as if we go looking for activities that counteract the discomfort we feel or perhaps require such mental focus that we don't dwell on the things that are bothering us.

5 years ago I found myself training hard for 50k ultra trail runs.  My training mileage is just a fraction of what it was then.  Was I just avoiding the uncomfortable situation at home, or did it give me some satisfaction that I lacked?

Is that because I've found a different or deeper satisfaction in  my everyday life?  Have my priorities changed?

I have noticed with friends who I've run with the last 10 years, that when big relationship or family changes occur for the better, they seem to step away from running.  Was the good vibes from running replaced with a dopamine donor of another kind?  Is some degree of "emotional wanting" a prerequisite for punishing schedules and mileage?  Or is the social aspect of the group runs a replacement for a feeling of home and family?

I know in my case, the worse the day, the better the run.  I almost craved the suffering, as if it made my everyday dissatisfaction pale in comparison.  Now when presented with a steep hill or long run my mindset is almost "why bother?"   Where along the line did I lose my motivation?

Any thoughts?

WYBMADIITY

Save

AT-runner

Tim

Hey Rocky, what's up. Long time no see here in TT.

I've been a consistent runner, and it helps, for me, that my wife is also a runner, so we understand each other's need to get out on the trail.

I've sen people have huge let-downs after a big race that they've trained a long time to get to.  Not sure if that has anything to do with you and your mileage decrease,  but I have friends who train for a marathon or ultra and when done, they stop running.

The question might be "why do we run"?  For me, it's my therapy time, and I enjoy getting in the woods and not thinking about work, kids, life, etc.  So when I feel stressed, I associate that with needing to go on a run and that motivates me.

Some people get their motivation from having a race on the horizon. I used to be that way, but now I like to do adventures, and they require a certain level of running fitness, so that keeps me motivated.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

A couple of my running friends have gone through a divorce.

One used running as an "escape" to help deal with the divorce he was going through.  Now, he doesn't run (or much do anything else) though he keeps talking of getting back into it.  He's put on quite a bit of weight.  His new DW isn't athletic at all and she's on the "needy" side (gross understatement).  He seems to like all of the attention from her so I doubt he'll ever get back into it.  We're still good friends though.  The irony is that they started dating when we did R2R2R together 4 years ago. It literally almost caused them to break up because she felt like she wasn't getting enough attention from him.  It caused issues for him because he wasn't able to properly train and he had a pretty rough day doing R2R2R.

Another friend, woman, ran quite a bit during her separation and divorce.  She was an extremely busy mom working 2 jobs and raising 2 kids on her own.  She still managed to carve time out to run and/or other physical activities to keep in shape.  She's now been dating a new guy and they're in a pretty serious relationship.  She's adjust her activities to things he can do (hiking, kayaking) as he's isn't a runner.  Honestly, I couldn't be happier for her and him.  She's a fantastic lady and while I miss our time running together on the trails she definitely deserves a good guy in her life.  Her boyfriend seems to genuinely be that good guy.

For me, my motivation is still pretty similar.  I use running as an "escape" from the daily grind of a desk job.  I used to be a very devout morning runner up at 4AM 5-7 days a week to pound pavement.  I've switched mostly to evening runs as I really like that release after a mentally challenging day even if it means running in some really nasty Phoenix summer weather.  My main motivation, train to not be a fat old man.  I do find myself enjoying the variety of things: hiking, backpacking, cycling, and combination events (bike and hike) and, yes, I still enjoy running; racing? The occasional race is still good.

You people have issues 

XtremeTaper

Perhaps your motivation was to use running for escapism, as you mention, now don't feel that same pull to escape? I suppose it's not that uncommon. I guess the question is when you were in that phase, did it capture and pull you into becoming a runner for life. Meaning the running eventually took over and became something you wanted to do regardless. Sort of like breathing and eating. Time to go for a run, good or bad.

I know that's how I feel about running these days. My motivation issue is not so much about getting out there, but being upset about losing ground on past fitness due to age an injuries. I may not be very patient either. But my motivation now while not so much about being fit for racing ultras still boils down to getting in that daily run as many days per week as possible. Even if it's shorter and slower. Once in awhile I might pop one and have a good day and it's all worth it. If not, the dog helps.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

My running really has nothing to do with my dissatisfaction  in life.  I have always run to maintain weight and physical fitness.  Actually when life sent me lemons, running didn't help me anymore than it does normally.  It actually gave me too much time to think about the shitty shit.  In the last 12 years, living in a beautiful place has made running more about running than weight maintenance and physical fitness.    I have a hard time getting out the door but once there I thoroughly  enjoy my run even when it sucks...cause I just walk a bit...cause I am still in the woods.  That is why I sign up for races...motivation to train gets me out that door.

I also agree with XT that the fear of losing fitness keeps me going.  Like AT, I wish I had a partner who liked running too because doing it together would be awesome.

I can see some folks would run (or pick up any new habit)   because they were unhappy in other areas of there lives.  I also see where folks do it and move on...currently running with a woman that seems to move from one sport to another every few years.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

adkkev

x-x-x-x

runtraildc

Hi Rocky,

It's good to see you drop in. It sounds as if you've had some stuff going on this past while, and I hope the hardest is behind you.

I will echo Queen's and XT's comments. While my motivation may ebb and flow occasionally, I generally keep at it and I mostly run now to maintain fitness and stave off old age as best I can. Running races, most of them low-key club races, helps me, too.  The  only real breaks from running over 30 years have been due to jobs (living on a boat), childbearing and the very rare injury.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Can't really put motivation on any single thing.  I never became a "serious" runner until about 4 years ago.  I'd run on and off for 20+ years just to try to stay healthy and burn off the excess fat as the primary motivator.  After signing up for my first marathon, completing one became the second motivator.  After being disappointed in my marathon performance and wanting to improve, third motivator.  Then I discovered that I both loved and sucked at mountainous trail runs, so now I'm into ultras.  Fourth.  So I guess it started as just getting / staying fit, which is still the case, but topped off with how much further can I physically and mentally challenge myself before I don't want to do either anymore.  I'm sure at some point it will evolve into another motivator.

Definitely not an escape though.  I'm with Sue, running only gives me time to brood over silly shit that irked me during the day.

Rocky - Hope you get your mojo back.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I run because I love the movement, and conquering long distances in rugged terrain at a decent speed. That's my only motivation. If you tried to motivate me to run for weight loss, fitness, etc., it would not get me out the door. It is only the enjoyment of this specific type of moving through the scenery, that's all.

The amount of time I dedicate to running does not correlate with how I feel or whether life is treating me good or not so good at the time. It only depends on the time that I have available, after I have given appropriate time to others (people, things) who or which really need my attention and presence (kids, job, pets, etc.).

Running has delighted, entertained and sometimes humbled me all throughout my life. The past two years of almost no running have been one of the longest phases of "no running" since I was 10 years old.

Run for fun.

Daydreamer1

I'm not a runner.  I'm more of a exercise nut who connects with my bicycle more then any other method of exercise.

What motivated me to start running a lot?  The love of the outdoors and solitude of the mountains and trails. The challenge of doing something that I had not done before i.e. run longer distances and climb mountains.  I was also drawn into the running due to a lot more events to enter then with the bicycle.

Why am I now unmotivated to run?  Not sure. Possibly because I'm tired of sore joints when the mileage gets too high. Tired of running the same course(s) over and over when with the bicycle there are more options. For some reason doing events has lost it's allure so that's not a driving factor anymore.  Then there is the part of DW getting a bike that allows her to ride far and wide with me and she enjoys that.  Maybe it's because it's harder, at least for me, to go for a run but take a day off. With the bike or other workouts it's easy to just stroll along and barely work up a sweat. Not so much with running unless it becomes a walk or a hike.  Maybe it's because I'm too much of a multi-dimensional person and after I've done something  for awhile it's time to change things up and have other experiences. Overall not really sure why I'm not too motivated to run but the fact is I'm not.

In the future I see myself still running, just not as much or as often. I may go just as far but do a lot of hiking instead of running.  I can see myself shifting to more gym workouts to work on overall fitness.  If I had the place and equipment to do so without having to take a class I might even take up crossfit for awhile.

How will I feel about this next year?  Who knows, time will tell.   Right now I'm motivated to move, just not to run a lot. That may change again, but for now there are other activities I want to put more time into.

Ultra Cowboy

Thanks folks.  I ran on Sunday solo after running a slow race the week before and felt better about myself.  What is tough is seeing people you were running with get faster and run longer, and I had not kept up with them and their training.   That has a tendency to make me feel like I'm going backwards.

I had a credit from an October race cancelled by the fires, so I signed up for a 9 mile night trailrun at the Marin Headlands. i know the trail and it will be a fun experience.  No history for me to compare it to.

WYBMADIITY

Save