Trailer Trash

So-So Sundaily (Read 35 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Everybody out on their run?

As I had feared, no chance of getting my run in yesterday. But at least, I could put my shoulder at rest, which is really helping with the pain.

Getting ready for a short jog in a few minutes.

QOTD: How closely are you associated with a local running club or group?

I am a member of our local running club, but I don't attend their group runs or regular events often. Occasionally I show up for a weekend run because the social part of it motivates me when winter drags out way too long. I attend their monthly meetings only sporadically, mainly because DH works in the evenings, so I need to be home for the kids. I run some of their races and volunteer at my favorite races. I am glad the club is around when I need it, but I don't think I am a very valuable member in the sense that I'd play an essential part in the community.

Run for fun.

some call me Tim

Morning! (barely)

Yesterday was the same for me - just couldn't fit the run in. Today is similarly packed, but I should be able to get in an hour on snowshoes here in a bit before heading out.

qotd: I'm a dues paying member of the biggest local running club, but don't get to the track workouts or social events very often. There's some baggage there but the club has a lot of good people in it still. I've also got singlets for three other less formal clubs- those are generally the folks I'm in closer contact with, and my RD friend who I do occasional volunteering for is part of.

muppy

Ran a slow five road miles last night.

QOTD I'm A member of the local roadrunners club, but that's more to support them and I get a nice discount at the LRS. However they started putting on 2 fat ass 50 K's each year and if I can stay healthy I will volunteer at again.

Daydreamer1

Getting ready to head out for 10+ miles. Going to make sure I hit quite a few hills. Just found out that one of the young pups from my church is going to be running Hyner this year so I need to ramp my training up so I can beat him.

QOTD: Not at all. There is one that I thought about joining just to help with a couple of the races and some trail maintenance.

NorthernHarrier

Couple hours skiing this morning which was nice and peaceful. After lunch I'll head back over there to run with spikes on the packed snowshoe trails then head home. A nice winter weekend up here.

So I entered Rothrock last night. Looks like I'll be learning about Pennsylvania rock. A rockologist. The timing works perfect this year and I'm looking forward to it.

QOTD- I don't do groups.  This is the closest thing to a group for anything I do.

hog4life

I'm hoping to do an easy 4-5 this evening and hope it loosens me up. I'm very sore and stiff today.

QOTD, yes, I am a member of 2 running clubs. One is very local with free membership. I try to help with timing when I can, usually 5-6 times per year. The second group is much larger and a little further away. I've volunteered at a few of the areas major events that I wasn't able to participate in. Maybe it's just me, but I like giving back sometimes. There is an enormous amount of work that needs to happen for a good/successful race.

AT-runner

Tim

Some easy miles this morning to shake out the legs.  58 miles for the week.  R2R2R in 9 weeks.

NH - Maybe you can stay with Couch, or at least she'll buy you a coffee. Yes, you'll probably see a few rocks at the Rothrock Challenge.  I've never done that race but have run the trails there and it's a big mix of runnable to hikeable to go down slowly on you ass-able.

QOTD:  No dues paying memberships, but I have run with the Gettysburg Beer Runners a few Wednesday evenings.  There is a small group of trail runners, but they run Sunday afternoons and stick to the easier main trails and not what I consider the best ones.  Nice people, but I like to do trails solo or with a very small group.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

12 miles yesterday, 6.4 miles today.  Still having some minor pain during the later miles of my long runs.  Nothing too concerning, but it's there.  Not sure if it's just a growing pains type of thing, or my new normal.  Only time will tell.

I sure hope Sue is running... 

QOTD: Also not a groups person.  Groups are like my worst nightmare.

Running is dumb.

sugnim

Howdy all. The sun was out this afternoon and I got to run in short sleeves, no hat or gloves. I went for a nice little 5.5 mile run with my wife, son and dog in the hills. We stopped midway so our son could get out and romp around a bit. There was a lot of puddle stomping, mud splashing, and rock throwing to do. Good times.

QOTD: We have a family membership with the local running club. I know a lot of folks who are involved, but I'm not very big on group running. It gets me discounts for local races (if I were racing), discounts at the local running store, and discounts at some local businesses. I go to some of the presentations and events that they put on and have even won 2 pairs of really nice running shoes at events. Though I'm not super involved with the club, I think it has done a lot for the health of our community. Encouraging people to get up and be active outdoors will accomplish more than any doctor could ever do.

runtraildc

Hi Trailers-- no run for me today.  It was 60* and it was a perfect day for yard work.  I guess that was my cross-training for the day.  Signs of daffodils poking thru the (frozen) earth.  In a month, we'll definitely be seeing spring here, if all goes well.

qotd:  I'm a member, mostly for the low-key races that I'll take part in-- at least a couple each year.  DS and I have also volunteered for some of the trail races, including Stone Mill.

Daydreamer1

So I entered Rothrock last night. Looks like I'll be learning about Pennsylvania rock. A rockologist. The timing works perfect this year and I'm looking forward to it.

Good!! It's a great race and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Unfortunately they made a few changes to it this year. They took out one rocky section and the swamp. I'm not sure if taking out the rocky section will improve it or not. FTYC knows the trail a lot better then me so she can give a more informed opinion on that. I will miss the swamp.

Unfortunately I won't be able to run it again this year. We're just going to have gotten back from vacation and I have to work the night before. I may try to drive up to see the end of the race if I get out of work on time.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Got out of the neighborhood and up to the park even. It's a nice change even if it is still a paved trail. At least there are other runners and walkers on the trail. Last long run before Jackpot on Saturday and very encouraged by a strong 12 miles still feeling good at the end.

QOTD: Not as involved with the local club as I once was though I've been a member for 16 years. I served 2 terms as club treasurer and also used to write a monthly column for the club newsletter when it was still actually printed and mailed. I've slowed down enough now that I seldom have running partners anymore at the group runs, though from April to October I usually try to act as pacer for the slowest group at our track workouts. A lot of the club runs also don't fit my schedule well anymore and haven't for the last 4-5 years.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

a nice 14 mile run in the hills in shirt sleeves!  50 degrees   I didn't do my overnighter yesterday, my route was a little ambitious and the conditions tougher than I anticipated, I ran out of time and made to my truck in the dark.  It was a great trip nonetheless, absolutely no sign of man anywhere, not a single track anywhere- I might have been the only person on this route all winter (did see moose and lion tracks though)????

Went from almost no snow, to a ton of snow as gained elevation- though even high up some of the south and west facing slopes have lost a lot of snow.

qotd: the trail running club is rather loose knit, no official membership/dues/etc; I will occasionally run w/ them on Wed evenings and occasionally on Saturday.  Good group of folks, I just usually run by myself.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

moonlightrunner

Bad end of week and beginning of this week. The flu went through all of us. Not fun. Then to start off the week I slipped on ice (walking out the door) and broke my wrist. It was grossly deformed. They set it and splinted it. Six weeks in this stupid thing. I am joining a gym so I can do something in the interim. Not in my plans. Grateful it was not a hip, leg or knee.

Qotd: not a member

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Harrier: Like DD1 said, the course has been changed and shortened by about 2 miles. They took out the steepest, rockiest, most challenging downhill and the swamp sections and replaced it with a rather tame, easy to run section. I personally liked the previous course a lot, and ran it many times, both forward and backward, when preparing for ES100.

I also think they took out the rocky (bouldery, very scenic) section of the Midstate trail, and now run a different section of MST in opposite direction. That new section is very technical and somewhat unrunable (or has a high risk for more serious injury) due to large rocks, deep crevices, and lush vegetation (read: overgrown), so the tough footing is not even visible. The new trails are nice to run for the most part, except said MST section, much more runable than the old course, so it should be faster.

The swamp trails were fun, as there usually are lots of slick, deep mud, but the Charcoal Flats section is very nice, too,and there is also some mmud to play. The total elevation gain seems to be about the same, although I have not looked at it closely. I have all these trails mapped out and can give you the number if you want to know. It used to be 5000+ ft elevation gain on the old course (18.9 miles), it may be a bit less now that the distance has been reduced.

Overall still a very challenging, exciting race, especially if you like hills and technical trails.

For accommodation, let me know what kind of housing you prefer, I cangive you more details on that, too.

Rast assured, once you have finished the Rothrock, you'll definitely have become a hands-on PA rockologist!

Run for fun.