Trailer Trash

Gaiters (Read 17 times)

dpc3

So I've been contemplating picking up a pair of gaiters for Javelina. The trails I run around ABQ are very similar and the occasional pebble gets into my shoe and lord knows I could build a small sandcastle after come runs. For those of you who run in desert / arid trails. Do you wear gaiters, how do they work, etc etc. Looking forward to your opinions.

LB2

I have used them in one race. I think it depends on the terrain. I have a couple of places I run that have some really unusual stickers that will work their way down into your shoes and stop you in your tracks. And you will be stopped for awhile because they are hard to get out. In a place like that, they are invaluable. However, I typically don't wear them. I don't even own a pair right now.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

We run on a few Rail Trails and their surface is very fine gravel and it gets in your shoes and can really tear up your feet. Dirty Girl Gaiters work well. They have velcro tape you can put on the back of your shoe and they hook to the laces in the front. If you have Altra shoes, the velcro tab is already there.  First time I got them was for the JFK 50, since 26 miles is on the C&O Towpath.  I saw countless runners stopping to drop gravel out of their shoes and I never had to stop.

I've had 2 other types (Inov8 was one) and both were not as comfortable. I don't even notice that I'm wearing the Dirty Girl gaiters.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

I have a pair of Dirty Girl Gaiters that I have been wearing for years, they are great !!!!  I only wear them on trails when needed, or when I think there will be a need.  As AT mentioned, you really can't even feel that you are wearing them.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL