Trailer Trash

Record Setting Saturdaily (Read 46 times)

Occasional Runner

We're getting ready to head to the trail for a speedy 100 mile run. The only thing that can prevent me from breaking this record is mental mistakes, which are always a possibility. I'll need a nearly flawless run but I think I'm due for one of those.

I'll check in later tonight when I finish up. I hope you all have a great Saturday.

QOTD: Do you have a trail on your bucket list that you're excited to run someday? NOT a race, just a trail run that you would like to do someday?

I plan to run the entire Colorado Trail and might do that next year. I've run portions of it and have loved what I've seen. I also have plans to run the entire Kokopelli Trail from Fruita Colorado to Moab Utah. That's currently on the calendar for October 18th.

AT-runner

Tim

Good luck, Kelly.  Tear up your FKT.

DW and I are heading out for a FUKT 20 miler (Fastest UnKnown Time).  Hope the trails have melted enough for us to do what I've planned.

Have a great weekend everyone.

QOTD:  Always wanted to run the Long Trail.  I've done many sections of the AT and just a bit of the PCT.  Long Trail seems like my next step, plus I can stop at Long Trail Brewery.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

SillyC

Good luck today, lace_up!

After lunch, I plan on going out running with my 10 year old.  She announced yesterday that she wants to train for a half-marathon.  So we're going to see if we can get in a habit of running together regularly three days a week.  Since she has phys ed two days a week and plays basketball for 30 minutes a day after school, I figure that counts for cross-training.  We'll do three together and then I'll run another three by myself.

QOTD  - most of my bucket list trails I want to do at a walk, I have to say, so I don't have to miss the scenery by running at night.  I want to do the Grand Canyon, but take a few days to cross.  High Sierra Loop.  The Laugevegur in Iceland (again - my husband and I did it in 2001 and moarpleeze!)  John Muir trail.   To that end, we're getting the kids up to speed with backpacking.  They are 8 and 10.  We got the 10 year old an internal frame backpack last year, and had a few successful overnight trips in the white mountains.  We're going to try a few three-day trips this year, and if all goes well, we'll start putting in for permits for 2015.

AT Runner - I've also wanted to do the Long Trail!  I've hiked so much of it!

runtraildc

Heading out shortly for my FVT (friendliest volunteer time) at an aid station for the Seneca Greenway Trail 50K and marathon.  We're helping out at the last aid station.  It's a gorgeous and warm (50s) day here, too.   another day off from running.  I feel like the proverbial kid in the candy shop who has been told she cannot have any candy.  Never have I wanted to run more....

Good Luck, Lace!

SillyC- Good Luck to you, too.  I helped DS1 train for a HM last year (12, turning 13).  It was one of the hardest things I've had to do as a runner.

Qotd: Don't know.  The list is long, so no one or two in particular jump out as top of the list.

muppy

Plan on 5 after work, it's a heat wave, it's up to 45*already today!

Good luck Kelly!

QOTD I would love to go out to the southwest sometime and run out there, thinking of taking a mid winter vacation out there one of these years. But for right now I'd be happy just to run on dirt, not a couple inches a slushy ice and snow anywhere!

Sandy-2

Did 21 miles this morning, the odd number is so I could write down 50 for the week.  Flying off to London this afternoon, I'll be there all next week attending meetings, but at least I'm not chairring them any more.  Therefore I should be able to get in a few miles every day.

Good luck Kelly, I'm sure the FKT will be yours.

qotd: Whatever trail that Hardrock is run on.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Morning all,

Getting some Girl Scout cookies then heading off for a planned 18 miles.

QOTD: When I first started researching trails in my area I found the Long Path (different than Long Trail).  It runs from the GW Bridge to Albany (actually West of Albany) totaling almost 350 miles.  The FKT for the Long Path was 12 days XXXXX.  I thought there was some fat in that time and thought maybe someday I would attempt it.  Last fall, a new FKT was set in 9 days XXXXX.  There goes the fat.  Maybe someday I will through run it regardless.

**Ask me about streaking**

SillyC

SillyC- Good Luck to you, too.  I helped DS1 train for a HM last year (12, turning 13).  It was one of the hardest things I've had to do as a runner.

Did he end up running it?

What was your biggest challenge with him?

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

13.6 for me:  .7 with Weston, then 6.2 with HATRS in Mercer Park.  The trails were still a challenge, and when I was leading one woman turned her ankle ( She's OK and after walking it out ran back to the cars).  A few others said "No thanks" when the new leader turned down a technical embankment covered in snow and icy roots.  Only 4 of the eight starters made it to the dam this morning., but we all met up afterwards ...all good.  I ran a few more with the crazy leader, and a few trails by myself and finished up my second run with an evil 6.66 miles.  max speed for the last mile was 9:10 or so.

QOTD: Would like to run from trenton to easton along the delaware river canal...or  21 miles from home to work  thise don't count as trails.  Batona Trail in south Jersey  54 miles.  Appliachian trail in North Jersey. 

And any place out west where Kelly runs.. with lots of red rocks.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

Watoni

Heading out soon for a run ... not like Kelly's, but hopefully my first long training run of the year

QOTD: Coastal trail from the GGB to at least Stinson Beach, hopefully back

Alta Via 1/2 in the Dolomites

AT-runner

Tim

Nice QOTD.  Now I'm killing time before we go out to dinner looking at trail maps.  I love maps.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Birdwell

4.5 miles, mostly uphill.

QOTD: The Crypt Lake Trail in Waterton Lakes National Park , Alberta.

I'd also love to spend some time in the high sierras.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

13 miles in - sit down before reading any further - shorts!

It was a gorgeous spring day, 53 degrees when I started, and still 46 when I ended. Where the weather forecast came up with "rain early, turning into sleet and snow in the afternoon", I never will know.

QOTD: Any trail in Arches or Zion National Parks, or Bryce Canyon. But for either this year, or next year, I am eyeing Standing Stone Trail, almost 100 miles, starting (as another trail which connects to SST) 3 miles from my house, leading over the ridges and mountains to Bedford, PA.

Run for fun.

runtraildc

Did he end up running it?

What was your biggest challenge with him?

Yes, and he did well on a hilly course.  2:08

The biggest challenges were mainly around getting him to understand that I was an experienced runner whose advice could help him.  !  I also had to learn to  take the anger and frustration he often felt with 'bad' runs and aimed at me in stride.  Side stitches, crappy weather, etc.  It was usually my fault, even though this HM was his idea.  He was pretty motivated on his own, but often needed encouragement on the long runs.

My unsolicited advice:  1) map out a training plan with extra weeks of buffer, 2) find a local running group that you both can run with- it helped DS to run with others and not always 'just mom'.  The members also gave him advice and motivation. and 3) do at least one race before the HM that helps get mileage and experience- - DS did a ten miler 3 weeks before and it helped a lot.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

interesting "run" today- brought microspikes and snowshoes and ended up using both, stretches of the trail were snow packed and icy, other stretches the snow was up to your waist.  5.7 miles (1500' of gain) took almost two full hours!  

qotd: I have a lot of bucket list trails Big grin  for multi-day running- loop around Mount Rainier via the Wonderland Trail @ 93 miles, hiking the Sierra High Route @ 195 miles; hoping to cross one off next month w a traverse of Zion

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √