Trailer Trash

Sloppy Saturdailies (Read 38 times)

The pooch had a great, but soggy 7 mile trail run. It was a bit above freezing and a light snow was falling, but melting as fast as it fell.

QOTD: Pass

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Ultra Cowboy

Last Night I opted for an 8 mile flat run from work.  With a big hillclimb on Sunday I figured I could take it easy.  Finished 30 minutes after dark, with a dead head lamp.  figures...

QOTD:  Would you rather finish a World class Race DFL, or a small local unknown race first?

I'll Choose the local small race since I've never even had a sniff of age group victory....

WYBMADIITY

Save

Uh oh... now what?

Not scary, but surprising morning shuffle--thick fog and three folks with shotguns

appear on the trail--there is no hunting allowed here.  I skidded to a stop.  The guy

in the lead smiles and says they are just walking the area because they heard a

rumor it will open for hunting next year.

QOTD:  My wins were at things that don't even show up in Google searches, but

so was the DFL.  The closest I came to a World Class event was a 10k XC thing

at the University of Arkansas.  It was a four-lapper and after many hours of thought

I decided a good goal would be to see if I could get through the third lap before

the lead speed buggies passed me, i.e., do not get lapped.  I made it by about

forty yards is all--one of the only two times I have gone under six minutes for a mile.

I just use a wildly sliding scale that is adjusted as the day unfolds.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I got in 17+ miles 4+ hours of epic trail.  It was such a good time out there, snapped some good pics, saw some great sights.  I think I need to blog about it.  More to come...

QOTD: Neither.  I just like finishing.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

Greetings from Abu Dhabi.  Looks like some fast times in the UAE half marathon yesterday.

Unfortunately my DD didn't fare too well in her race. The vets decided that her day was over after 40 miles.  Her horse developed a slight limp (lameness) and they pulled her from the race.  She took it well and as is her usual way, she pitched in and helped crew for the other US girl for the rest of the day and evening.  Unfortunatly the other girl also got pulled, but she was at mile 90!!!!  In her case it was a high heat rate the vets didn't like.  In both cases, as always they are very conservative and err on the side of keeping the horse in good shape - no argument - just part of the sport.  But it is still dissapointing.   They both said that even so they had a great time and really enjoyed the experience.

I also had lots of fun bombing around the desert in a 4x4 chasing after the riders.

Oh yea, I took a SRD from running today.

Here are two photos I took of helping out the other rider.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

AT-runner

Tim

Must be a slow day due to all the racers.  Just shy of 3 hours on the AT today.  Did some Blue Blazing as well because there is one section that has a better climb on an old AT sections (Blue Blaze) and the came back on the traditional AT.  Saw not a soul, or sole (prints), which is unusual for a Saturday run.  Wet and muddy with a bit of snow cover.

Looks like we had a good representation on the AT today.

QOTD:  I'll take the first place in a local event, then I can say I won something running.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

AT-runner

Tim

Sandy, sorry to hear about her horse.  Hopefully she still had a great time and gained some experience.  Way to go Team USA.

I noticed the horse is riding in the soft sand and not on the packed sand of the "road".  Soft sand has to be trouble for a horse not used to that surface.  Is that why DD's horse was limping?  Enjoy the rest of your trip.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Had my longest run of the year so far. 13.4 miles, 2:41, some snow and ice,  all on state forest roads, logging roads and trails. I actually discovered a trail that I didn't know about. I have to investigate this one a little bit more. There's a good possibility that it ends up running across private ground but i'm not sure. Even so it will be a good hill training trail depending how much is open. It could only be a mile but it would be good for hill repeats and it's close to home.

TT - Just the pooch? Didn't you go along or didn't you share the same enthusiasim for the run?

John - I know your on the opposite side of the country but isn't hunting season closed out  there this time of the year? That being said I took my gun along for the run today and pulled a real boneheaded move. It's a small pistol that I'm planning on carrying while running this summer mostly to hunt groundhogs. Today without really thinking I dropped my car key in the same pouch that I carry the pistol in and rubbed off some of the finish. Cry

Jamie and AT: I was thinking about going down to the AT then decided against it. I have a love, hate relationship with that trail. It's a nice trail at a lot of spots and challenging but for some reason I fall a lot on it. Last year I thoght I may have broken a hip in one fall and in another I skinned my face up quite bad.

QOTD: I'd take the DFL in a world class race. For me to finish first in any race would require it to be one for handicapped people. For me winning isn't that important, as long as I finish I'm happy. One of my long term goals is to be able to qualify for the Kona Ironman. Yep, I'm dreaming big.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

sun is shining, it's 53 degrees, had a great long run planned and got a stomach bug last night Sad   so I'm trying to rehydrate and not anything that will further upset things

interesting factoids Big grin- it's almost impossible to tell the source of your gastroenteritis (w/o a test)- it's usually either a viral stomach bug or food poisoning- the viral infection- sometimes incorrectly referred to as the "stomach flu" (it's not an influenza) is usually norovirus in adults, food poisoning is usually brought about by a bacteria

not sure where mine came from- could have been the takeout Chinese food last night (rice that is held at room temp is a common source a source-Bacillus cereus), could have been when I was in Billings the other day or even our office- guess it doesn't matter, either way it sucks!

qotd: clearly finishing a prestigious race dfl, I'd get more satisfaction finishing a grueling 100 miler than winning some local race; I should add I'm probably more apt to finish a grueling race than winning one- local or otherwise

<--- tortoise, not hare Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TT - Just the pooch? Didn't you go along or didn't you share the same enthusiasim for the run? 

OOPs.  Just a typo leaving myself out Smile

I loved it too.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Jamie and AT: I was thinking about going down to the AT then decided against it. I have a love, hate relationship with that trail. It's a nice trail at a lot of spots and challenging but for some reason I fall a lot on it. Last year I thoght I may have broken a hip in one fall and in another I skinned my face up quite bad.

I forget where you told me you live but I do remember you work in Harrisburg.  There are some great trails with killer hills (to get you ready for HynerSmile) in north Harrisburg in a state game lands area.  These are trails that connect to the AT off of RT 325.  I access them from Fishing Creek Valley Rd.  This was the area I did today.  I ran/hiked a bit over 17 miles with (3) large climbs and some great downhills.

I plan on getting out there a few more times before Hyner (I am not fully committed yet but today was a good sign).  Let me know if you want to meet up sometime for a run there or if you want info about the trails.  Lots of Hyner type hills (1000 ft gain in a mile type deal).

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Uh oh... now what?

John - I know your on the opposite side of the country but isn't hunting season closed out  there this time of the year? That being said I took my gun along for the run today and pulled a real boneheaded move. It's a small pistol that I'm planning on carrying while running this summer mostly to hunt groundhogs. Today without really thinking I dropped my car key in the same pouch that I carry the pistol in and rubbed off some of the finish. Cry 

Daydreamer1:  It isn't a hunting issue.  There is a lot, some, a bunch... whatever, of guns being shown on the island.  There were a lot of guns displayed in a recent city council (Oak Harbor, I think it made national press) meeting and again in a county commish hearing (or meeting).  There is an antiquated, or just outdated, law about carrying guns.  The desire now is to push the envelope for gun presence everywhere in the county.  It appears we will lose a few trails that were on private property because of it.

sugnim

Howdy all.  I was able to get a good 5 mile run in this afternoon with no belly problems!  Hooray!  It's been about a month since I was on a regular running schedule, and I'm hoping that things are on the mend now & I can get back up to my previous mileage soon.  It's amazing what medicine can do!

QOTD:  I think I'd rather come in 1st at a small race.  I prefer small races, and in fact I was pretty bummed when my favorite, local, small 5k added chip timing this year.  I'm not big on crowds.

Sandy-2:  wow!  Just wow!

sugnim

(accidental duplicate post.)

Daydreamer1

Daydreamer1:  It isn't a hunting issue.  There is a lot, some, a bunch... whatever, of guns being shown on the island.  There were a lot of guns displayed in a recent city council (Oak Harbor, I think it made national press) meeting and again in a county commish hearing (or meeting).  There is an antiquated, or just outdated, law about carrying guns.  The desire now is to push the envelope for gun presence everywhere in the county.  It appears we will lose a few trails that were on private property because of it.

With the current push against guns it's understandable that there will be pushing back in support of guns. Unfortunately there are too many idiots on both sides of the argument and no one wants to use their brains. The same attitude has resulted in private land being closed to all access here in Pa. Some people felt that their right to shoot trumped the landowners right to limit access and they couldn't use common sense.