Trailer Trash

Thursday is here (Read 23 times)

runtraildc

Oh, the weekend is getting closer. We just need to get thru this polar vortex today and tomorrow.  I got in 5.5 miles yesterday, between two runs.  Yeah, that's how I do doubles.  One run was the long way to the grocery store and the remainder (3.3 mi) was at the pool roads while a kiddo was swimming.  Tonight, I'm heading out for a holiday lights run in DC- white house tree, capital tree- amongst others. It's a fun run, with drinks and a good raffle afterwards. I'm figuring on a lot of no shows helping my odds at winning something.

qotd: Overall, was 2016 a good year for you? Or not so good? (not running, life in general). Not great, but definitely could be worse. Some terrible medical diagnoses and health issues in the extended family (including schizophrenia in a young adult). I'm pretty bummed about US and world events and the downward spiral, especially Syria this week.  But my immediate family is secure (relatively) and healthy and that of course, matters a lot.

Daydreamer1

Went to the gym last night. Got there a little late because my gym shorts were in the wash and I couldn't find anything that I wanted to wear. I hate wearing the shorter running shorts to the gym. Ended up calling DS to find if he had left any shorts here when he moved out. Of course he did so I borrowed a pair of his basketball shorts. That made me a little late and then there was just enough people there that wanted to use the same weights that I did that it slowed me down and made me change my routine a little bit.  I ahd wanted to run for  1/2 hour on the treadmill but ended up just doing 15 minutes on the Rowing machine.

With the windy weather around here today, I'll stay inside on the trainer and do some balance training.

QOTD: A bad year. A bad, bad year.

Earlier in the year my depression was really fired up.  Took myself off the cholesterol medication I was on and have seen dramatic improvement. Guess it's true that the brain needs cholesterol to function.  That impacted a lot of things. I ended up losing a professional certification because of not paying attention to detail now I have to work to get that back. There were a lot of things that I just didn't get around to doing around the house because of the lack of energy. That's what depression does to you. I've had it all my life.

My running sucked. I got in the mileage but I was slow and then even slower.  I did meet most of my goals but didn't have much fun doing it and I'm ending the year with some hip pain. A injury or just tight muscles? Not really sure, but I'm hoping that some stretching and exercises will improve things.

Work was horrible. Sept 2015 our manager of 5 years was fired and things went into a downward spiral. The new manager left the buttholes run the sewer plant and it got really bad.  Long story short, we recently got a new manager and he has pretty much fired everyone in the upper echelons over the past couple of weeks.  The problem is that he is also somewhat of  a butthole and I don't think he can be trusted.  Tonight we have a meeting and he is going to introduce a "consultant" that he is bringing on. This is a guy that I know and have worked with in the past and is not a typical consultant. Years ago he was actually a pretty good guy to work with so hopefully things are looking up. Time will tell. I may get promoted or I may get fired.

I won't really get into world events too much, although I see things more positive. I see things such as Brexit, the recent results in the Italian referendum and our election here as an effort by people to throw out the incumbent trash and start over even if there is some short term pain.  I don't really pay too much attention to the middle east.  That place will be a hell hole no matter what anyone does over there. The people are just angry, hate filled idiots for the most part who will fight and kill no matter what circumstances they are put in.

Sorry for the long rant, but it was a bad year.

muppy

5.2 easy miles on the rail trail last night.

QOTD 2016 was a pretty good year for me. I got married and bought a new house. I finished a slow 50k and set a PR in a half marathon I was doing to increase my speed overall.  The last month or two has stunk financially.  My 2006 car that has been overall maintenance free  was in the garage twice for separate issues. Now the furnace is having issues now so thats another $500 to fix.  Overall though my problems are just  spending money that I would rather not spend. I could have real problems like a lot of people how to deal with.

XtremeTaper

Thankfully I am in injury recovery/slacker mode and do not have to go out and run in the cold with freight train loud gusty winds. I will do the gym thing this evening.

QOTD: Sort of going with flow year. I did get a good review at work, but it still led to a measly raise, but still I can't complain about that. Weird work thing was getting offered a vsp package. I was tempted to take the money and run, but did not want to jump into the consulting world as that often means a lot of work related travel. Parents still doing well, missus ok but could be better, sister finally has some grandkids and my niece announced her wedding.

DD - Hope 2017 is a better year.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

I ran 5 after work yesterday. I'll do the same today, maybe 6. No. I'll do 5.

QOTD: Hahahaha. 2016 sucked!!!

Hmmmm. Where do I begin? Lost my brother in law to colon cancer in April at the age of 39. That alone make the year suck. Since we had decided to move, I wasn't running for mayor again, but I was asked if I would finish my term despite the fact that I told them I was going to resign. After consulting some attorneys, I was told that it wasn't anything wrong with finishing the term, even though it was a couple of years before it ended. So, things clicked along fine; the town had money; we completed our infrastructure projects, etc. Then, after the new election, the new guy interfered with a police investigation. I lost my temper; some of his friends or perhaps he, called the news station that specializes in sensationalism. The reporter was hiding in the bushes across the road from my house and did a "gotcha interview". I talked to him. I was brutally sarcastic. I didn't care.

It started like this:

Reporter: "Mr. Jones, why did you move out of town?"

Me: "Well, have you ever been there?"

It was hilarious. Anyway, I told him the whole story from start to finish, and he said it wasn't what they were told it was. Nevertheless, I resigned rather than go through all the crap for the next few months. He made it into whatever he wanted it to be. I never really appreciated when someone said they were "taken out of context" until this episode. So, the new guy took over; then, he got arrested. He ended up resigning before his actual term ever started. But he did manage to put the town in a bad financial situation in a mere two months. The DA never pursued charges on him, and everyone thinks he is a total douche bag, which is about right. I guess only 2 things bothered me a little bit: 1. Is the fact that people who didn't live here might think I was a bad guy if they saw that segment. But the fact is that we were always transparent in everything we ever did, including where I lived. Many people had come over. We took great care of the financials of the town, and we always did things that followed the law. 2. I know some people who know the truth who thought it bothered me more than it did. No question I should have bailed when we moved, but since it wasn't against the law to finish the term and they asked, I went with it. Although it is funny now, it was quite stressful for a few months. It's really too bad because it is a nice place, or used to be. So, it was a pretty crappy year. I hope 2017 is better.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Same story; wide awake at 4 am and sound asleep at 7 am.  No run.  No promise of run later. 

QOTD:  I would have liked it to be better but it wasn't bad, so I guess it was good.   ok maybe it was ok...no it was good...everyone is healthy.  I've been thinking I  may be slightly depressed but I keep trying to treat it with booze.  I too am looking forward to 2017 as it will be an end to another chapter in my life as we are going to sale our house, retire, and than by an airstream and travel.

DD:  The best thing about a bad year is that next year will most likely better. 

LB2:  You obviously should run 5.5 after work!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Wild and windy day here.  Cold, brutally cold.  But I still ran 6 at 5:30am.  Certain body parts were hurtin' though .  Let me just say that polar vortex's suck!

DD - sounds like a really sucky year.  I genuinely hope 2017 is better for you.  You need a peaceful job!

LB2 - same for you, hope next year brings you some more positive situations.

QOTD: As for me, I think 2016 was pretty good.  I don't have too much to complain about.  Kids are healthy (mostly).  They like school.  I started 2016 healthy and am ending it healthy.  I will hit my running goal for the year.  I wish I could have finished my dissertation but I am doing well enough to be done in the spring of 2017 hopefully.  We made some nice changes to our house this year and are ending the year with the basement getting dry walled - another step closer to having it completely finished.  I picked up some p/t teaching gigs which gives us a bit more money.  I ran my longest race in Oct. (OC 100k).  DD played soccer (her first year in any organized sports).  Both DS1 and 2 are both playing basketball.  They all seem to enjoy themselves when playing and I have a lot of fun watching them.  DW is working more hours now and seems to really like where she works.  As far as world issues, I try to ignore them.  I cannot do much to change them so why put in a lot of energy in reading/listening to what is happening when it would just stress me out.

I am hoping for big things in 2017 though - maybe just building off this year.  I am ready to write a new chapter in my life but certainly have some pages yet to go in this one.

One bad note in 2016 was hearing about Marie's family struggles.  It breaks my heart to know how life has changed for her and her kids. I continue to pray for peace for them and to be able to move on.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

Froze myself on 10 trail miles this morning with a running buddy. We both were to chicken to call the other one and cancel.  It was 14 degrees with 25 mph winds gusting to 33 mph.  That put the windchill well below 0.  Had plenty of clothes, but fingers still go cold and then after 5 or 6 miles I was sweating under my jacket and when we turned into the wind it was brutal, as in brain-freeze brutal.  Needless to say we didn't see a single person out on the AT or side trails, but glad I did it because I would never had done 10 on the TM.

QOTD:  2015 was our shit year with BIL's death, sister's cancer and DD#2 dropping out of college for an expensive stint in rehab (prescription ADHD meds + antidepressants which lead to cocaine).  Now a year later, my sister is a breast short, but cancer free, my SIL has met a "fella", who also lost his spouse, and DD#2 has been clean for 14 months.  She's back in school and had a 3.3 GPA this semester.  On the worrying side, she has an older boyfriend who also went through rehab.  He's been clean for almost 2 years, and they seem to really support each other, so DW and I are cautiously optimistic.

I try not to worry about things I can't control (good at it, sometimes) so I don't stress about US or world problems. Doesn't mean I like them, but I don't stress over them like I used to.

Happy thoughts to those who have had a rough year, and wishes for a better 2017.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

AT-runner

Tim

One bad note in 2016 was hearing about Marie's family struggles.  It breaks my heart to know how life has changed for her and her kids. I continue to pray for peace for them and to be able to move on.

Amen, to that.  Sentencing should have been the other day, hope she is well.

Also, continued prayers for John M. Got a message from him the other day and not a lot of treatment options available.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

4.5 miles of "hills" on the treadmill, back on this evening for 5-ish

we've been in this arctic trap for two full weeks now, tomorrow's high is forecast at -6, the low -27!!  the positive thing is we have over a foot of snow in town, probably close to 3' in the mountains. It's supposed to break Monday or Tuesday; I'm a little pessimistic on them calling it right.

qotd: 2016 will go down as a great year for me; I've had dozens of great adventures running, hiking, skiing, snowshoeing and hunting. Family health has been good all around. Stress free job for the most part. I feel very blessed.

my prayers that those that didn't have a good year, have better in 17 and for those that did have a good year, another one in 17!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

Damn!! This is like an episode (or entire season) of "Picket Fences" or the "Waltons" or something. The answers to this QOTD illustrate that life is full of ups and downs, and it is probably part of why we do what we do. You cannot have the good without the bad.

Also, AT, I am pretty sure that John has the same situation as my brother in law had. He held on for 8 months, and I swear I thought he was going to make it. But he and I had a little thing we did when we knew something wasn't right in a conversation or a situation. It was a look. He gave me that look a couple of times, but I held out hope; I truly did. He knew, and he knew I knew he knew.

I'm looking forward to 2017, and I hope everyone has a good one. I already signed up for a race.

LB2

LB2

LB2 - same for you, hope next year brings you some more positive situations.

I appreciate that, but I could have avoided at least one of those myself. However, had I done that it wouldn't have brought some things to light about that other guy.

LB2

DigDug2

Hi all - been mostly lurking for much of this year as I haven't really been keeping up my trail running bona fides (mostly road running and *gasp* track).  Anyway, I wanted to check in and it's interesting to read about everyone's year.  Mine's been a mixed bag.  Work has been mostly good, in a state of organizational flux that makes the future somewhat less secure but the present interesting and rewarding.  Family is mostly good, other than many difficult issues with my oldest DS (17).  Running has been fun this year - no real injuries, consistently good training and a lot of satisfying racing between 800M and 13.1.  And the state of the country . . . well, it makes me sad and somewhat afraid, but I can only make a difference in my little corner of the world.

Happy holidays to everyone!