Trailer Trash

Calling it Quits (Race Report) (Read 32 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I am not quitting running nor am I quitting ultras.  I am quitting Hyner though.  Well quitting is not a good way to say it.  I am retiring from Hyner….for now.  This was my fourth year there (1 time the 25k version and 3 times the 50k).

I love this race.  But the drive distance plus the sheer volume of people have affected my desire to go back.  Don’t get me wrong, I still love the race and always will.  It’s my first trail race that truly wasted me.  It’s the toughest 50k I have done by far.  It has kicked my hyner every single time I attempted it.  It’s been a love hate relationship.

I am in this picture at the start - can you spot me????

I went back this year after a 3 year hiatus due to injuries.  I trained specifically for the hills without being able to hit real hills nearly as much as one should for this race.  Due to time constraints, schedules, etc., I hit the gym a lot for the stair machine and leg strengthening.  Unfortunately, it did not make me faster.  I had hopes of a sub 7 hour finish but it wasn’t long into the race that I realized that just wasn’t a reality for me on this day or probably ever (unless I would quit my job and train full time ).  So early in the race I gave in to the idea that I couldn't shave off 36 minutes from 3 years ago.  Instead I simply enjoyed the beauty that the trails of Hyner have to offer.

I ran without a watch (for the second straight race) and loved it.  I ran by feel.  It was a gorgeous day for trail running.  A bit cool to start but eventually it warmed and the sun was shining bright.  There may have been close to 300 that started the 50k.  It was definitely way more than I remember in the past.  Due to Hyner becoming part of the newly formed PA Triple Crown, it is now a super popular race.

View from the bottom

View from the top

I won’t go into intimate details about the actual race, aid stations, etc.   What I will say is that I enjoyed the day tremendously.  I generally stayed to myself and did not engage in conversation.  It seemed that many others wanted to do the same. My favorite section of the trail in years previous was the 3 mile downhill on the 50k loop that dropped us into Ritchie Run.  On this day though, it was not my favorite.  My only mistake that I can think of in this race was my choice of shoes.  I ran in Hoka Challenger’s and due to the tongue being super thin, steep downhills were very painful.  I felt as if the laces were going to cut right through my feet.  Hyner has numerous steep downhills so this was an issue. There was nothing I could do once I was out there.  I love the shoes except for that fatal flaw.  Supposedly, the new version has a padded tongue.

But my favorite part of the race was Ritchie Run.  It is a wonderful trek up through a run off that flows between two mountains.

In the middle of Ritchie Run - blink and you will miss it.

The race site describes Ritchie Run as similar to Johnson Run but I think it has a much different feel.  The mountains climbing up on each side are very close and climb very steeply.  The water, which was low this year, forms periodic waterfalls of a small variety.  Rhododendrons grew in bunches.  Although there was no real running through this section, it was amazing.  I do believe this is the memory that will stick with me most.

I felt ok most of the race, with the exception of Johnson Run.  I trudged along very slowly through that section.

Otherwise, it was a good day.  I ran it home across the bridge knowing this may be the last time or last time for a while.  I was content.  I crossed the line at 7:39:44.  It was a very similar finishing time to 3 years ago although I believe I pushed myself more then.  I remember being pushed by the idea that someone was chasing me then.  I had no such notion this year.  No watch, no idea what time it was, slowed by my stupid shoes, slowed enough to enjoy the day, I think I did pretty good.  Maybe that stair climbing helped after all.

A glorious day! 

So Hyner 2016 is in the books.  I drove away content and happy.  I wouldn’t mind returning to those trails someday either by myself or with a few trail friends to do some exploring.  In the meantime, I will bask in the vivid memories.

Thank you Hyner!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

Congrats Jamie... I think I spotted you and someone else I know. I've never done the 50k there but it's the toughest course I've run on a per mile basis. Looks like you have some nice memories from your last run there. Thanks for the report and photos.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The crowds were more than I had anticipated, too, but I didn't mind being forced to walk. It did allow more time to enjoy the course. Hiking through the rhododendrons was probably my favorite section of the trail. I don't recognize anyone in that photo, but that's because I didn't really pay attention to the 50K runners passing me on the final hill to the finish. Maybe another day and another race we'll finally meet. but I probably won't be returning to Hyner either.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

Looks like a nice course. It appears to be virtually no "green up" on the mountains up there. It looks like summer time down here. Congratulations on finishing. You would probably like Mt. Cheaha 50K, beautiful course in north Alabama.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Hey, there's a tall skinny dude standing out above the crowd in upper right corner!! Who could that be ?

In someways I didn't miss Hyner, in someways I did. It always beats me up and I think that is because it comes so early in the year it's difficult for me to get in the required  training  over the winter, especially for the downhills.  If It's on my weekend off next year I'll probably do it, if not I doubt I'll take any time off to do it.

I would like to do the 50k again just to get into Ritchie Run. That is a very nice area. I was considering going up there after the race and running parts of the 50k so I could take my time and enjoy the scenery.

Sounds like you had a good time and a good race.

I almost forgot to ask about the reroute of the course. Didn't they eliminate some of the water crossings in the lower part of Johnson's run for the 50k?  Did you think that made it better or worse?

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Glad you enjoyed your day because isn't that really what it is all about.  Couldn't locate you in the picture...being a monkey and all I assumed you are too short to show up; unless your on someone's back. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Keep Going

Congrats Jamie! Nice photos and write up! If your looking for a some new trails, right across the mountain there is another race with similar terrain called Eastern States! Not sure if you have done Call Of The Wilds Marathon but it's a bruiser. Stunningly beautiful, less folks, and its basically Hyner's big brother.

100 milers are my favorite

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

DD - the re-route was ok.  It was a decent trail actually.  I don't know if it made any times faster.  It wasn't necessarily easy trail.  That part of Johnson that it replaced is the more runnable part (although that is all relative).  It's the other side of Johnson (once the 50k connects back with it) that is tough.  There was a short re-route in Ritchie Run but again it was not necessarily easier.  I am sure they had reasons for the re-routes - just not sure what they were.

keystone - I was signed up for the inaugural ES 100 but withdrew very early due to injuries. It would have been my first hundred but no doubt I would not have finished.  I would love to run it someday but I need to get an "easier" hundred under my belt first.  In all reality, not sure I will ever try ES due to the time of year.  Heat n Humidity is a bad combination for me.

George - next time I am in your neck of the woods, I will try and contact you.  I have family in the VF area and try to run at the park when there.

LB2- I have heard good things about Mt Cheaha.

Oh and I guess I should admit I did not take these photos.  I stole borrowed them. Without giving credit, that is plagiarism.  I should know better - that can get me kicked out of school and I wouldn't want that!

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job, Jamie.  You barely made it in to that photo. Why do you look so worried in the picture, you know what's coming?

(If you don't know Jamie, he's in the far upper right, next to the camera that guy is holding up.)

Ironmasters next year?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

Congratulations!!  Actually to me getting about the same time as 3 years before is a win in my book!!

Looks like a great trail and day.

Any idea what the gain is over the 50k?

tbd.

runtraildc

Congratulations, Jamie!  And I think that is you in the upper right hand corner, but I cannot see your socks to confirm.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

AT - I think Ironmaster's is in my future for 2017.    Much more tolerable drive! And maybe I can make it down a couple times before then to "train" on the course.

Sandy - I think the gain is somewhere around 8000+ ft.  Someone posted a profile of the 50k on FB but I cannot seem to find it anymore.  If I do find it, I will post it.  I was explaining this race to a co-worker who is a road runner.  I said I understand why road runners and non-runners think we are crazy.  We ran/hiked up and down mountains in basically a 7 mile radius without repeating much of the same trail - just kind of going in a circle.  Just a wee bit crazy.

DC - No stripped socks for me but I did wear some compression sleeves - never thought I would like wearing them but they are comfy.

And yes I do look kind of worried in the picture.  Probably my "normal" face.

AT-runner

Tim

DC - No stripped socks for me but I did wear some compression sleeves - never thought I would like wearing them but they are comfy.

And yes I do look kind of worried in the picture.  Probably my "normal" face.

Arm panties, not compression sleeves. (Where's Mandy when we need her).

"Resting worried face" might be a new diagnosis since they now have "resting bitch face".

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

No, no, no - not arm panties. The calf compression thingies.....please don't confuse the two.  Very important! 

Arm panties, not compression sleeves. (Where's Mandy when we need her).

"Resting worried face" might be a new diagnosis since they now have "resting bitch face".

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Arm panties, calf panties.  Same thing.  amirirte?

You people have issues