Trailer Trash

The reason for my recent slump (NRC) (Read 60 times)

Birdwell

I've been pretty out of it physically and mentally lately. All of it having to do with our newest child.

A couple months ago, when my wife took him in for a routine check up, the doctor noticed his head was shaped kind of funny.

Long story short, he was diagnosed with Craniosynostosis, a birth defect that causes the plates in a newborns skull to fuse prematurely and it doesn't allow the skull to expand as the brain grows.

Surgery was recommended and scheduled and at 4 months and 5 days old our little guy went under the knife at Primary Childrens Hospital in Salt Lake City. The doctors removed a strip of his skull about 1/2 inch wide and four inches long, right down the center of his head all the way down to right between his eyes.

Everything went wonderfully and after three hours or surgery the neurosurgeon and chraniofacial surgeon declared him to be "mostly fixed".

Today was one of the last steps in the process as our little guy got a helmet to help shape his head as his skull heals. He gets to wear it 23 hours a day for the next three months.

I wanted to share a couple of pics of him. He's doing great. The family has finally calmed down a bit and hopefully things will start to get back to normal around here.

Here he is pre-surgery

post surgery (the skull was removed a little higher than the scar and all the way down to where his eyes are. I forgot to ask the doctor for a piece of his skull)

And from today, with his helmet

Thanks for indulging a grateful dad.

Watoni

We are grateful you and yours are doing well!

The health of our kids is something we should never take for granted -- we have had a few scares, but have been super lucky.

Here's to things getting back to normal, whatever that means for you Smile

runtraildc

Glad to hear the little one  (and the rest of the family) are doing so well.  Very handsome fellow.

AT-runner

Tim

Glad he is on the mend, and I know he will do fine.  Thanks for sharing.

Cute little guy.  Awesome job by doctor to catch this early!

For the next few months, you can always tell people he's a Mt. Biker or a snowboarder.  I have not seen the new helmets, and that looks awesome compared to what they were 20 years ago.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

some call me Tim

The health of our kids is something we should never take for granted

Absolutely. It would destroy me if something happened to my girls... there had to have been some scary moments in there.

So glad your son is doing well!

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Wonderful news!  Here's to a speedy recovery, paint the helmet and tell folks he drives for Porsche Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

fimmx

Virtual hugs to you Birdwell. So glad baby bird is on the mend.such a cutie!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Thanks for the news update. I am glad things are going so well.

That helmet looks awefully cool. Certainly distinguishes him from other kids riding tricycles and wearing little buckets on their heads. Nothing beats the "real thing"!

Run for fun.

moonlightrunner

What a cute little Baby Bird! It is amazing what they can do to fix things. It must have been so scary for everyone. Hugs to all!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

dpc3

All the best to you, your family, and the little guy on a speedy recovery. Good to hear things are moving in the right direction and all went well. Take care of everyone including yourself!

LB2

I am glad he is getting better.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Continued prayers for him and the family.  As a parent, there are moments when we feel helpless.  Much of parenting is ensuring our kids safety, well being, making sure they don't make dumb choices, etc.  So when those helpless moments come, it's an awful feeling of powerlessness.  And from a father's perspective, that is a shot to your pride.  We always want to do, to protect, to be the one to lean on.  I cannot imagine.  My heart breaks for any family that loses a little one.

Glad to see he is doing well.  Take lots of pictures and you guys will all laugh about the "helmet" later.  He is a cute kid.

Thanks for sharing.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I think he'll think this is pretty damn cool when he's older.  So glad to hear little Bird is doing well!  The helmet photo is adorable Smile

Running is dumb.

Sandy-2

Cute kid.  Really like the helmet.  Pulling for continued good news and a great recovery.

Also some semblance of "normalcy" to you and rest of the Birdwell family.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Daydreamer1

Cute little guy. Good thing the Doctor did a good assessment. My Kids had three different minor surgeries, certainly nothing like this, and it was rather nerve wracking.

What is his long term prognosis? Will the bones completely fuse together again?