Trailer Trash

Sloppy Sunday (Read 18 times)

XtremeTaper

About to take the Lady out for 6-8 sloppy miles at French Creek. The rocks out there at least help keep the muck down. Probably be mostly puddles.

Mini-race report: Delaware trail marathon... I didn't quite hit the time goal (4:15-4:30), wasn't even close really, but the day was a success. RD and others commented that 1/2 course may have been long and I do know it had a different and seemingly longer stretch for the finish then in years past. So I will call it 27 miles in a time of 4:44, positive split run 2:19,2:25, but the first half I had half marathon runners to chase and the second half I was solo until the last few miles where I caught a few other marathon runners. Small low patch at the end of the first loop, beginning of the second, but I crushed the last 10k or so feeling fresh and on top of the world. I also used the term "this hill is real gut buster" as I passed some young pony tailed gal during the climb up possum hill in the first loop. It cracked her up. My last run here in 2009 was 4:38 so pretty close to that race... that was a train through race as well. For a traildawg race, excellent course marking, and ample aid. I pretty much just fueled on tailwind and gels, and learned it's pretty easy to carry enough tailwind crack in my running short pockets to get me through 4-5 hours of running. My wife commented that it looked like I was packing bags of cocaine the night before. Other race thoughts.. once I saw my time goal was out the door, I decided to shoot for even splits, but then went out the door too, but honestly I did not even look at my watch until there was about 10k to go. I saw I was 7 minutes off my loop time for the first lap, and kicked myself in the pants, and starting running very well. I stopped the bleeding and felt great during the last portion of the race and relatively fresh at the finish.

QOTD: Worst thing about rainy/sloppy runs? For me it's my glasses. I often times will have take them off if the rain gets too hard, and have trouble distinguishing much on the trail that's further then 10 feet away!

Dreamer - Nice to meet you yesterday.. great work on not letting me catch you, and also making it in time for the 10k start. That was a fairly tight window you had.

Runtrail - Thanks for the good wishes yesterday.

AT - Tough news on your mom. Scary stuff. She is doing better today?

In dog beers, I've only had one.

moonlightrunner

Good afternoon! Had a misty-rainy 9 miler today on my favorite technical and hilly trail. It is an hour drive from my home, so I don't get there often. Ran with a young trail buddy of mine that doesn't mind running "Old Lady Slow" with me. It was perfect running weather.

I have decided to make a major running life style change...I am going to stop running in five fingers. The fear of breaki,g toes plus the normal trip and falls that can happen is slowing this slow old lady even more. I am running in my Vivobarefoots right now...but I am considering the Topo Runventures. They felt really good. I hate real shoes, but if I am going to run longer races I have to be able to make the cut offs.

AT: sorry to hear about your mom. So glad she was symptomatic. Hopefully they can get her in a good rhthym and keep her there. This year, 6 weeks after my 86 year old dad's major back surgery he had a stroke due to intermttent a fib we did not know he had. The clot buster and a great stroke call down team literally saved his brain. So glad your mom is where she needs to be to get it taken care of.

XT: sounds like you had a good time despite being off your desired pace.

Qotd: I can't think of anything that bothers me except that when it rains my bandana I use for my chronically runny nose get wet and does not function well.

I hope you all have a great day!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Queen of Nothing

Sue

15 miles it's been awhile and I was afraid 15 miles would kill me but I felt fine..  It was nuce to log a long run.

qotd: I don't like the mud that attaches itself to your shoes making them weigh 5 pounds...it's usually slippery mud to.

AT: nice race...my running friend got contact lenses....she can finally see the woods.

Moonlight:  Nice to see u...shies aren't bad.  I am sure u will like the topos.  I have a pair and they are comfy.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

I wanted to go for a run, just a short shake out run to loosen the legs but I'm so stiff, sore and tired that I'll probably just do some easy spinning on the trainer, maybe walk some on the treadmill.

XT - I made a big mistake by not taking along enough Cocaine, errr... I mean Tailwind. I skimped just a little too much on calories during the 10k version. Left my stomach feeling upset at the end.

QOTD:  Put me in the glasses category as well. Without them I wouldn't try to run on a nice flat surface much less a trail. If it's warm I actually enjoy running/biking in the rain.  For some reason, though, I will find myself not drinking enough. I think it's because the rain moistens my mouth reducing the feeling of the need to drink.

runtraildc

Took a nap instead of running this afternoon.  Nice rainy day here so I ended up cooking instead of getting outside.  Once the empanadas come out of the oven, I'll head to the gym for a short jaunt on the treadmill or a row.  Some strength work, too.

XT- thanks for the mini-report.  And congratulations on a good, last minute race.  You too, DayDreamer!

qotd:  I don't like mud straight up so everything about it annoys me. So I'll avoid the trails when it's really bad, with the excuse that I'm concerned that I'll do more damage to the trails than do good for me (ok, that usually is true, AND it's a handy excuse).