Trailer Trash

Blue Mtn 30k RR (Read 22 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

i ran the Blue Mtn on Sunday.  It's a 19 mile course with about 4000' of gain (and loss). It's located just south of Missoula. Some of the trail is pretty technical, read rocky.  It flows pretty well and ~ 90% runnable. I ran this race in 2013 and it was the first race I ever finished mid-pack (I'm a card carrying back of the packer Wink.

I tried signing up for this race the previous two years but missed getting in, limited to a 100 entrants and goes fast. This year a buddy from Missoula texted me to get on line right away as it was open and I got in, as did he.

A week out the weather looked atrocious- wet snow/rain temps in the 30's, fortunately by race day the forecast improved significantly, still chilly, but no moisture. Start of the race was 35 degrees with the sun coming up- perfect!  I had a light shell, but decided to ditch it at the last minute- other than the first ten minutes or so I would have not needed it. Attire was a long sleeve mid-weight shirt, with my man-pri tights- just the right choice for the weather. I carried a single handheld with a zipped pocket (Nathan) that I carried 8 energy cubes and electrolytes. Four aid stations so plenty of opportunities to fill the bottle on route.

Randy and I ran together and started towards the back of the pack. I wanted to start a little easy knowing there was a very long sustained climb coming soon. When we got to that climb we eventually passed 15-20 folks who had settled on walking while we slowly jogged. After the long climb, a short downhill to the first aid station about 5 miles in) , made a quick stop to top off water, where we got passed by about 5 folks who didn't stop.

A pretty long and fast fast downhill stretch followed, I think there were a few folks who were contemplating passing, but never did and before we knew it we were climbing again. I think we might have passed the same five folks who got us at the aid station. At the second aid station we just went by and probably passed a couple of folks who had stopped. The climb continued heading for the high spot of the race and aid station 3.

We were able to run most this, save a few very steep stretches. I think we may have passed one runner on this stretch. Quick top off of water and we were away. The next stretch has a little bit of down, a little level and some climbing- after the climbing there is long downhill stretch headed for the last aid station. This long downhill is where Randy started to enter into the pain cave- hams and IT band issues. We stuck together to the last aid station where he told me to forge ahead (about 3 miles to go). After the last aid station there is a steep climb; I could see a few folks ahead of me so I climbed hard and managed to pass a couple. Now it was a long series of steep switchbacks down and I could see a few more folks, so I tried to pick it up. Unfortunately I saw two people go down in this stretch, they were OK, but bleeding. Eventually I hit the flat headed for the finish and spied a gal in front of me, she was running too strong to overtake. I hit the finish line in 3:33, was hoping for about a 10 minute faster finish, but all in all happy with that. Put me right in the middle of the pack again, which I'm always happy about.

Randy was only about 7 minutes back and he was pleased with his effort- it's the longest he's ever run.

After a little rest we partook in their BBQ, cheese burgers and beer!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

Is that faster than your last race there? Good running in either case. I am surprised in the lack of photos but the one from the daily looks nice!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

Uh, who are you and what did you do with Warden   We can tell that you are not the real warden because you didn't post a single picture .

Nice write up. 19 miles is a nice distance. Enough to make you work and feel like it was worth your while being out there, but not so much that it can't be done on limited training.

LB2

Uh, who are you and what did you do with Warden   We can tell that you are not the real warden because you didn't post a single picture .

Hahaha. I was thinking the same thing.

Good running, Mike.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Agree, no pictures, I feel very let down.

Wait I found your post race selfie with one of your big smiles.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

my 2013 race was 10 minutes faster; I'm not positive, but I think they either added some distance to the course or some elevation (or both)- I don't have the course memorized, but seems like a few new stretches????

yeah no phone with , when I use one of my packs I take it- with my handheld haven't found a good way to carry it; I think my buddy's wife might have snapped a few photos at the finish- I'll check.  there was a professional photographer (or at least looked like one), I'm guessing at some point a few photos will show up on the web

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

me too...what's up!!  Was this a treadmill race....I can't seem to picture the course???  Sounds like you just ran straight then on an incline???  I/m so confused.    but nice job moving back into the MIDDLE of the mid pack from the back of the mid pack..100 races so that was like moving 5 folks up??? 

Nice write up. 19 miles is a nice distance. Enough to make you work and feel like it was worth your while being out there, but not so much that it can't be done on limited training.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

good stuff! 

Randy and I at the finish line; looks like Randy is picking up a GI Joe in his hand 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Congrats on the nice finish. You just say you were going to fast to take photos 😆 !!!!

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Congrats! I have been wanting to ask you, these races you do.  What is your normal drive to them?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

a couple (Don't Fence Me In, Elkhorn), are very local, 5-15 minute drive. This last one was in Missoula, two hour drive; the Rut Run is in Big Sky, about two hours; Bridger Ridge Run and Devils Backbone just out of Bozeman, about two hours too. I'll usually spend the night prior on the ones out of town.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

muppy

Very nice Warden, congratulations!

Add me to the disappointed in no pictures list!