Trailer Trash

Thursday's Peep (Read 21 times)

XtremeTaper

Peepers were out in force last night, making a racket in the lowlands and fields along French Creek where it meanders through Warwick Park. I hadn't ran there in awhile, and the Lady and I had nice spring conditions. Grey skies, mid 60's, felt mild and slightly humid like spring should. Anyways, we did about 6 miles, out and back popsicle type route along the flat trail, down across the creek (it was thigh high and moving from the earlier rain), plodded through a sloppy meadow, and then out the horseshoe trail into the forest for a mile or so before looping back on the steep climb up the ridge and rolling gently back down. Sound of the peepers kept us company nearly the entire run, except for a few miles in the forest.

QOTD: How about a good spring running memory.

Spring often reminds me of those days when I first started ultra-running. The smell of the air and the woods, the peepers making a racket, the newness of it all. I remember hearing the peepers once during MMT. A big storm had just passed and I had just finished this crazy climb through a world of green and water, sort of topped out on a hill or ridge. The sound kept getting louder and louder as I approached. Not deafening but overpowering sound.. It sort of reminded me of a chip mat at a big road race. Oddly enough I ran into a someone I knew up there from another forum, who was pacing his brother that day. Their headlamps snuck up on me just as I passed the peepers.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

runtraildc

Didn't run yesterday and today's plan is for 5 or 6 during swim practice. Need to get out to see the bluebells along the creek before the bloom ends.

qotd: Not so much a specific memory, but a favorite spring run-- which is along one of our creeks just outside the beltway here. I'm heading there this afternoon. It's mostly a ravine-floodplain just at the edge of the peidmont so there are fields of skunk cabbage and bluebells this time of year. In a month, it will be the mountain laurel.  And despite it being in a place where hordes can gather, I rarely see more than a couple other runners/walkers and their dogs. Unless it's a sunny weekend afternoon. Then, all bets are off.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Playing hooky from work. The DH is gone and I rarely get alone time at home.... going to head out for 5 ish in a few minutes...than plan to do some chores...

qotd:  a specfic run doesn't come to mind so I am going to either create one on todays run or think of one.  I liked your XT... especially how you felt all alone and than run into someone you know.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

a nice 4-ish miles with my wife and Tiny E yesterday evening; our dinner out was only fair

going to hit the trails this evening

qotd: just a couple of weeks ago we got hit with another (among many) snowstorm- I was bellyaching to myself about all the snow.  when I arrived at the top of the ridge into a big meadow, the snow was coming down in giant flakes, it was extremely quiet and peaceful. I quit bellyaching.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

I was supposed to take off yesterday, but we had a rain storm expected early this morning. So, I ran yesterday and slept this morning.

QOTD: Typically, I take a break right at the end of March and focus on hunting the spring turkey season. However, in 2015 I ran a pretty gnarly and very muddy 10 mile loop race in Mississippi on some trails I know well. I know the trail so well that I was running in the front four, and we all took a wrong turn early in the race. The entire field of about 20 or so runners passed us. Two of the four original front runners took off like they knew where they were going, which was back to the start/finish but from the wrong way. I realized our mistake and another guy and I stopped and turned around. The other two were already around the corner from us. So, we turned around, and I remember telling the other guy that this was going to hurt. I figured everyone had come through already. Sure enough, we were last. The other guy, Charles, told me to relax and we would see how many people we could pass. We ended up catching every single runner. Charles won the race, and I passed the guy in second with less than a mile to go. That was a super hard run, but it was one of the most fun races I have ever done. My lungs and legs were on fire. Had we not taken that wrong turn, I would have never had such a great experience there.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Ran 4 along a nice swollen creek. Lots of rain yesterday, so trails were wet and water was flowing.

If you're on FB, there is a picture site to post photo's that John M would have loved.  Check it out.

QOTD:  Every spring at the Sole Challenge 24/48, I would love when, just before dawn, the birds would start to get active and wake up.  Not many people on the course usually at that time, so I was usually by myself. Last year, on the second morning, I ran several miles with Kieth Straw (PA peeps know him as the Pink Tutu guy) at dawn.  We had a nice time talking about the waking day and I don't think I've ever hard more birds chirping. Good time as we seemed to be the only ones out on the course, since everyone had turned off their headlamps to enjoy the dawn light.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Bert-o

I lost my rama

AT - Nice pics.  Looked very different just a few weeks ago.  DW and I watched the first two episodes of Santa Clarita Diet last night.  Pretty hilarious... my kind of humor!  During the first episode, DW said this was going to be a fun show.  Looking forward to catching the rest.

LB2 - Wow, that was quite a race!

4 easy on trail for tonight.

QOTD:  Along with the others, just hearing and seeing signs of life perk up around you.  No specific run comes to mind though.  We'll be heading upstate to open up the cabin this weekend - finally!.  This is the latest we've opened (for various reasons).  The main trail passes through many farms in the valley.  The fresh farm smells, while not the most refreshing, are certainly telling that it's springtime. 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Maybe a wee bit too warm to run at 10 am poor Jack was dragging in the heat..he’s black and fat  unlike his Mom who is white and fat!  It’s spring...there is an oak forest at top of my hill on my route that in the spring is just breath taking...oak leaves are full green but in the spring they are bright green and contrast against the dark trunks...since they are not full bloom yet you can really see into the woods..

At:  beautiful scene

warden:  only u would have snow in your spring story

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

XtremeTaper

Ran 6 at lunch on the local trail. I left the Lady at home (shocked) as for some reason I did not want to dally and she tends to stop and smell the roses a lot on this trail as it gets a lot of dog traffic (smells). So somewhat of a brisk run for me on a mild sunny midday.

QOTD again: This was before I was an ultra runner, but I still ran trails in those days and was out for 12-14 miles or so one day at French Creek Park, and first time I ever was caught out in a spring t-storm. I heard the thunder for awhile, then wind picked up, lightening, and of course heavy rain. Not much to do but run. I was doing a 9 mile loop and then bonus miles. Finished up the loop in heavy rain, ran by the car, saw everyone scurrying away but by then it was just rain so out I went for another loop. It was first time I realized how peaceful and cool the woods is as a spring storm winds down. Branches and brush seemed to sag over the trail and try to grab you. On a warm spring day, it's an excellent coolant.

Queenie - LOL about MT and the spring snow! Poor Jack. The Lady is showing signs of not liking the heat this year. She struggled down in FL this year and the one hot day we had this year I had cut things short.

AT - Nice pics. I did not realize we had that much rain yesterday until we forded French Creek. It was gushing pretty good.

Runtrail - Enjoy the blue bells. They are starting to peek here at the lake.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

the snow and I have this love-hate relationship thing going  

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

moonlightrunner

What great recollections of spring!  I really enjoyed reading them. There is an advantage to checking in late today!

I ran 4 today, one in my new shoes, ok...not really shoes. I am trying out running sandals. They feel good....but being careful makes me even slower than I already am.

QOTD: There is something to love about every season. Spring is all about the distinctive smell and sounds that slowly fill in the empty landscape left behind from winter. The peepers are deafening, at their peak, and birds add their song as well.

Our spring is slow this year...the smell of spring is not quite here, and even the birds seem a bit reserved. I think this year's favorite spring run is yet to come.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k