Trailer Trash

Zone-out Thursdaily (Read 19 times)

Sandy-2

I got up early and did 5 mi, really slow since it was 78 deg at 5am.  I did meet up with a few of my running buds (who I normally see on the weekends) so that was nice.

I was a total zone-out after that though, I was thinking about all the stuff I had to do at work today, answered an e-mail before I left the house - totally distracted and then left my work badge and my wallet at home.  At least I brought my laptop, phone and lunch so I'm still ok.  Also at lest I got my run out of the way.

qotd: with a nod to LB2 yesterday, are there any parts of your "normal route" that you hate?  There is one section that I run that is straight and under a powerline that goes for about 1/4 mile that everyone seems to hate.  It's usually full sun and warming up late in our run when we hit it and the straightaway just kinda sucks.  But it is a good place to see if anyone is just ahead.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Tiny E and I got a really nice 4-ish miles in yesterday evening- no wind, sun shining and mid 60's, not too shabby 

qotd: not really; blessed with miles and miles of single track with varying terrain- I can do little loops, big loops, steep, not so steep; I can to at least some degree, negate wind or hot by picking routes that are less exposed- I'm spoiled in that regard, weather on the other hand- can do plenty of hating there 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

I got a good night's sleep last night and the night before. I have a loooonnnnnggggg night tonight. I'll call in tomorrow. I have almost 8 months of leave built up, and I am actually totally caught up at work. They seem to hate that anyone is ever "caught up". But things come in such a flurry here that it takes some time for recovery.

QOTD: You know I hate the stop sign turnaround. Something I forgot about regarding the stop sign is that it is where the gravel road intersects with the state highway. I live in a very rural area, and since July, we have had 3 seemingly random drive-by shootings in the area. I knew two of the people, and my father in law worked with the third victim for many years at Exxon. Two victims were killed, and one guy survived. So, that is additional incentive to not run out to the highway.

LB2

Sandy-2

I live in a very rural area, and since July, we have had 3 seemingly random drive-by shootings in the area. I knew two of the people, and my father in law worked with the third victim for many years at Exxon. Two victims were killed, and one guy survived. So, that is additional incentive to not run out to the highway.

WTF !?!    That's crazy!!!

I sometimes run in a sketchy area near work. It's called Greenspoint, some people know it as Gunspoint.  Every once in a while I get a creepy feeling like, what if some gang-banger thinks that I'd make a good target for a little shooting range practice? But it actually is quite peaceful during the day.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

LB2

WTF !?!    That's crazy!!!

I sometimes run in a sketchy area near work. It's called Greenspoint, some people know it as Gunspoint.  Every once in a while I get a creepy feeling like, what if some gang-banger thinks that I'd make a good target for a little shooting range practice? But it actually is quite peaceful during the day.

Yeah. It is pretty crazy. Some people believe it is some sort of retaliation for some racially motivated shootings recently in Baton Rouge. Some former Eagle Scout went on a random, drive-by shooting spree over the summer. I think he shot three or four black people on the side of the road while they were just minding their own business. I think two or three of them died. I forgot how they caught the guy, but they made an arrest. I have no idea if it is retaliation or not, but they have not made any arrests in these shootings. It is sad, but I can understand when someone who is involved in the illicit drug trade or some criminal enterprise gets wasted. It is worse when innocent people who have nothing to do with anything get killed while going about their day to day business.

LB2

Daydreamer1

First day back to work after vacation and guess what? I didn't miss it one little tiny teeny bit. Not. A. Bit.  I really need to figure out how to become a trail running bum and still survive financially.  Like Sandy I walked out of the house without a bunch of my stuff but at least I remembered the most important stuff, until I got to work. Got a call a hour after starting time and I walked out of the station without some nonessential gear but totally forgot my portable radio.  Then there was two of us medics on the scene and when I left with the patient I realized that the other medic left his heart monitor in my truck  and he was already on his way to another call that he was going to need it .  Maybe some caffeine with help.

No running or biking today due to work.  Actually kind of sore after getting back into some strength training and doing 30 miles of hill climbs yesterday so the rest may be good.

QOTD:  Not on my trail runs. On my road runs I hate the first 2 tenths of a mile. It's about a 100 yards of a false flat then it goes up at a 6-8% grade.  Doing this before you're warmed up totally sucks. More and more I find myself walking part of it. Unfortunately the only way to avoid it is to not run or go down the hill which leads to less then the best routes.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Woke up at 5:30 to early to run and started reading my book until umm 7 and then remembered I had to get blood drawn so no run but plan to sneak a long lunch and run with mutts.  Went to the lab and they didn't have the doctors OK so didn't get my blood drawn. 

Last night I ran 4ish with the running group.  3/4 was on roads.  I really hate roads and my heels and ankles were sore and tight this morning.

QOTD:   Yes!!!! definitely.  My first half mile consist of a private road into the woods and back out on a curvy no shoulder road back in the woods to a private very steep road and into the woods.   First when I start the dogs are so excited and in such a hurry to smell the drain pipes that we start off in a sprint.    I hate all the steepness within this 1/2 mile, plus the dogs stopping and sprinting, that I lay in bed dreading the run.  Once past that it's all pretty good.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

A very short run last night.  I will get out tonight for something decent.  Temps and humidity are sooo much better today.  I think we are done with the hot stuff and on to more normal fall temps.  I hope so at least.

Warden - we are all so jealous of your miles and miles of single track.  Although now that I think about it, I (and other PA folks on here) have thousands of miles of single track.  It's called the Appalachian Trail.  Can run near 1000 miles in either direction. 

QOTD: A few little sections in my neighborhood I don't bother with.  Sometimes I agree that just to do a little out n back is useless just to get your mileage.  Cannot say I have never done that but mostly I don't case about my final mileage.  Not sure I have any sections that burn my britches like the stop sign out n back for LB2.  Just sayin...

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

Not much happening here, though a front is moving through with a nice breeze and more seasonal fall-like weather. I will celebrate with a 2-3 mile walk by the lake this evening with the Lady. Feel good enough to run some miles, but I won't. Hoping the rest will do me good.

QOTD: Seems like every regular route of mine has some little section I don't look forward to. Sometimes it's not even a hilly or difficult part. For example a loop I do at Coventry Woods has a 2 mile climb up to the ridge line and you'd think that would be the part that I do not like but it's actually a shorter, 1/3 of a mile steep downhill trail off that ridge a few miles later that I always dread. It's steep, somewhat rocky, and I find myself picking my way down that section very carefully, feeling like an amateur. I've busted down it pretty a fast a few times and I'm not quite sure how.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

6 miles on the trails. Saw a big buck, 10,000 spider webs and almost ran into a black bear. I startled the bear (must be my new slower speed that's much quieter than my former uninjured speed) and he/she started me in return. The bear stood up and was about 10 yards away. Was about 5' tall. I dd my best Bear Grylls impersonation and talked calmly and bear dropped and ran away. Was pretty cool.

LB - WTF.  Drive by shooting and you have 8 months saved up. Go away somewhere.

Jamie - Warden's trails are nicer than ours. We get to see trees p close and personal, he gets to see them in the distance, two to three ridges away.

QOTD:  On the road, I HATE the first 1/2 mile from my house. Cars fly by and there's no shoulder, and Like Sue's section, I tend to run it too fast to get to the turns.

On the trails, I have a connector section that I hit way too often. It's a rock field, so slow going, and if I hit it during a long run, I'm always worried I'll turn an ankle. It connects two very large trail sections where I have dozens of choices where to run, so I put up with it.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Picture or it didn't happen!! Kidding.  The whole standing up thing would likely make me soil my shorts.  Way to stand your ground and Bear Grylls would be proud.

6 miles on the trails. Saw a big buck, 10,000 spider webs and almost ran into a black bear. I startled the bear (must be my new slower speed that's much quieter than my former uninjured speed) and he/she started me in return. The bear stood up and was about 10 yards away. Was about 5' tall. I dd my best Bear Grylls impersonation and talked calmly and bear dropped and ran away. Was pretty cool.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

2 miles in the sun. Just where did the heat go? Don't tell me fall has already started...

AT: nice encounter with the bear. I think the standing up would have scared me. Nowadays the only bears I see are the ones from "We bare bears" on TV. 

QOTD: At my current distances of just a few miles, there is not much that could annoy me. Only on the rail to trail, the first mile is annoying: steep asphalt downhill at the start, of course quite slippery when wet, and then a bikers/walkers/doggies runway until it finally turns off into the woods. Nice from there on.

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

Picture or it didn't happen!! Kidding.  The whole standing up thing would likely make me soil my shorts.  Way to stand your ground and Bear Grylls would be proud.

This area has had a lot of bear sightings (Newman Rd. area in Michaux Forest). Usually they say a 5' bear, so yep, that's the guy.  I had phone with me, but the last thing on my mind was taking off my pack and reaching for something.  It was all over very fast. As far as standing my ground, I was so surprised that all I could think of was "yo bear".

I had a bear "encounter" in same general area 2 years ago, but never saw the bears. That time, I only heard the cubs crying, so I turned around and went back the way it came. That one was more disturbing, since this time I knew which way the bear was heading.

All my other sighting, I've usually just seen the bear from behind as it's running away.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!