Trailer Trash

Ironmasters 50k RR now with photos (Read 28 times)

GC100k

(photos down in reply)

Ran the Ironmasters 50k today. Ran it last year with the goal of making the cutoff and gave a hard effort to finish in 9:47, which I was real happy about. Winner last year was a 2:19 marathoner who finished the 50k in over 5 hours. He got lost, but still, he won and it is a tough course.

Today I crossed the starting line dead last, which I always do, then pushed hard (for me) from the start, kinda like a 260 lb Jim Walmsley. I figured if I blow up, I blow up, but I'm going to take a shot at the elite 9 hour barrier.

And...

Finished in 8:21. Boom. Almost 1.5 hours faster than last year. I felt awesome the whole time. It got hard, of course, but I kept the pedal down and never blew up. Don't know my placing, it'll still be back of the pack, but I passed a lot of people before spending the last few hours completely alone with no one in sight.

Everything went perfect. Didn't get lost, although a couple times I stopped and waited until someone behind knew which way to go. I fell once, but it was on the only six feet of the course that wasn't sharp rocks.

What a fun day!

Sounds like a great day, GC!  Way to crush that 9 hour goal and blow last year's time out of the water.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Sandy-2

1.5 hr PR. Not to shabby.  Congratulations on what sounds like a tough trail.

tbd.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job!  I was thinking about you with the beautiful weather for the race. Much cooler than it usually is.

I didn't volunteer this year. I usually mark most of the first 20 miles (from Woodrow Road to Mt Creek area up to group camping area), but they way I've been feeling, I told them I just couldn't do it.

That's a nice time on that beast of a course. People are usually very surprised at their time there, but with all the long climbs, it's just a slow relentless course.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

GC100k

I didn't volunteer this year. I usually mark most of the first 20 miles (from Woodrow Road to Mt Creek area up to group camping area), but they way I've been feeling, I told them I just couldn't do it.

Thanks. And thanks for volunteering in the past.

One of the points where we stopped and waited, we couldn't see any orange and there wasn't any clear path any direction and we didn't know whether to go up or down. A guy came behind us and said he knew we should go down by the creek. When we got down there, we saw that the flags had been trampled down into the muck.

The other spot, we had a group and we came out to a road with a little parking area next to a park-like area and didn't know which way to go. A guy came from behind and said we should go left. The speculation there was that non-race people had removed the flags.

There were a few times when it was uncomfortably long between orange flags, but mostly it was places that had a pretty clear path that you could assume you should stay on. Up the hill on mile 26 orange was real sparse and I was all alone, but an advantage in being back of the pack is that you could just follow the trampled areas, and also I knew from last year it went up along that stream and then over the top.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Wow, great job!  Nice when everything goes well, especially on a tough course.  Congrats!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

AT-runner

Tim

Thanks. And thanks for volunteering in the past.

One of the points where we stopped and waited, we couldn't see any orange and there wasn't any clear path any direction and we didn't know whether to go up or down. A guy came behind us and said he knew we should go down by the creek. When we got down there, we saw that the flags had been trampled down into the muck.

The other spot, we had a group and we came out to a road with a little parking area next to a park-like area and didn't know which way to go. A guy came from behind and said we should go left. The speculation there was that non-race people had removed the flags.

There were a few times when it was uncomfortably long between orange flags, but mostly it was places that had a pretty clear path that you could assume you should stay on. Up the hill on mile 26 orange was real sparse and I was all alone, but an advantage in being back of the pack is that you could just follow the trampled areas, and also I knew from last year it went up along that stream and then over the top.

Karen B., the RD is a hiker, and I always fussed with her about the difference between hiking markings and running markings. I used to put those orange ribbons everywhere I could so you could always see the next one.  I know who marked where I usually did, and he's also a hiker.  I run there a lot, so know exactly where you were missing markings.

On mile 26, there's only one trail and it goes up and up and then up again. 

Every year, it seems. they have issues with ribbons being pulled down. The last year I ran it, a section that I had marked the day before was missing markings, so I knew for a fact there was foul play.  MTB'ers messed with things 2-3 years ago and switched arrows for the 15k and 50k turn. We had a lot of 50k runners go the short way (the 15k way) and miss Hammond Rocks. Luckily it was late in the race, and din't effect results, but some were upset that they missed the whole 31+ miles (It's always closer to 32). also the 15k runners had all passed that turn or they really would have been upset.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

GC- nicely done!  shaving that much time is definitely something to savor; I’m guessing it’s mostly to do with hanging out here more 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nice job GC100K...I actually thought the same thing as Warden...your improving from hanging out here.    Himmm a 260 pound Jim Walmsley...does that mean you were wearing little shorts and a ripped up mid drift t-shirt?  We need pictures of that. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

GC100k

Nice job GC100K...I actually thought the same thing as Warden...your improving from hanging out here.    Himmm a 260 pound Jim Walmsley...does that mean you were wearing little shorts and a ripped up mid drift t-shirt?  We need pictures of that. 

gag. although I did wear sorta little shorts.

Results are in. I was 90th of the 126 who made the cutoff. Within the 3rd quartile. Does that make me a mid-packer rather than a back-of-the-packer? 6/10 in the M50-59.

And yes, improvement is all due to hanging out here.

LB2

Awesome. Congratulations. Starting dead last rarely puts you finishing dead last.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Good job!

If we ever run a race together I guess we'll have to fight over who's actually last or cross the start line hand in hand .  The last few races I've done,  I always try to make it a point to start last.

XtremeTaper

Late reply but that is a great improvement. You don't have to sell me on the difficulty of the course. I felt I ran pretty good there last year (especially the second half) but still my slowest 50k in terms of time. Hang around here another year and the sub8 will be yours!!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

GC100k

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Great job.

What  was your training like for the race?

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes