Trailer Trash

Which Race Would You Choose? (Read 29 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Okay, so yes I already registered for the Mark Twain Endurance 50 back in.... it was either December or January, and had my sights set on it even when I was invited to register for the 2016 Spirit Crusher Survival trail race. They are both on the same day - September 17.

But right now DH and I and the business are trying to budget finances and everything, and the cabin for a week is going to be like $1,200 with payments being split into 4...... I haven't reminded DH of this vacation trip since our deciding to budget everything, I am not really sure if he'll want to go ahead with it (I've already made one payment, and not sure if I would get it back after cancelling).

So just in case, I decided to look more into the other race.

To save time from typing, I'll post the race links.

The Mark Twain Endurance 50 - http://stlouisultrarunnersgroup.net/mark-twain-50100-miles.html or http://stlouisultrarunnersgroup.net/assets/mark-twain-50-100-runner-information.pdf for more in depth detail.

Summary: Basically it is on a 25 mile trail loop, and the cut off time is 16 hours. It is in Barryman, MO and there is a medal for finishing.

Elevation gain: 5,000 feet

The Spirit Crusher Survival  Run - https://runsignup.com/Race/IN/Evansville/SpiritCrusher

This one is in Evansville, IN so only a 15-25 minute drive from my home. Only the cost of the race ($75) with no other costs.

It will be on a 4.25 mile trail loop at Angel Mounds and the trails are pretty damn flat, probably less than 1,200 feet of elevation gain for something like 50 miles.

You'll have an hour for each loop starting at 7 AM, each loop will start on the clock - 7 AM, 8 AM, 9 AM and so on. The last one out there and to finish wins. Last year a guy I know (that also ran Monday's Boston race) won it, running 50 miles in 9 hours.

There is no medal, no buckle, nothing for finishing it.

So, you can also check out the link and let me hear your opinions.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Yeah, as soon as you said Indiana for the Spirit Crusher, you lost me.  Flat = no thank you!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah, as soon as you said Indiana for the Spirit Crusher, you lost me.  Flat = no thank you!

Lol! But what about for a first time Ultra, it being sort of like a timed race and extremely close to me?

Trust me, I hate Indiana too but damn it I live here and I've just got to deal with it lol.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

As I noted elsewhere, this is not your typical fixed time race. With the rules for the race being 4.25 miles each hour, you can not start a lap earlier than on the hour. Just one lap early in the race where you have problems like a side stitch that keep you from completing that lap in under an hour and you're out. It can also be a lot harder than you imagine having a 10-15 minute break in your running each hour, then getting up to speed again. I think this type of race takes a lot more experience and isn't a good one for a first ultra. If you aren't locked into that weekend, you should expand your race search to look for one a little more beginner friendly.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

The Mark Twain has a 100 mile option, too, unless they are two completely separate races. Either way, there is a Mark Twain 100 that is on the same course, 4 loops (obviously). I have mixed feelings about loop courses, but one of the positive things about loops is that I never even consider mileage. I just look at the number of loops, and two to four loops is pretty easy to handle logistically and mentally. I have never heard anything bad about the Mark Twain. You really get a good mountain race that is logistically easy to do. I highly recommend it.

LB2

LB2

I also agree with wcrunner on the Spirit Crusher race. Those rules can be a real issue for you later in the run. I don't care for that; most runners are going to have ups and downs throughout the day, and you can't really do anything to compensate for when you feel good versus when you are feeling bad. At some point, you may have to walk an entire loop, which is fine if you didn't have to stop moving for periods of time when you finished the loop in less than an hour. My motto is to always "move with a sense of urgency", and you can't do that with rules like this. So, as a first time 50 miler, I don't think this is the one to do.

LB2

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Hmmm you guys are definitely making sense.......

Now hopefully DH will still want to go on the week long vacation....

PRs

Sandy-2

I voted for the 50 miler. My spirit was crushed when you said 4.25 mile loop.

tbd.

Gator eye

Ohh 4.25 mile loop, I wonder if they do amateur dentistry in between laps too?

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol, yeah I'm not really interested in small loops like that... especially with a cutoff time like an hour for each loop.

It would be one thing if we're an hour and a half to finish each loop... but a lot can go wrong in 4.25 miles after a few hours.

PRs