Trailer Trash

No work Saturdailes (Read 30 times)

Daydreamer1

I was supposed to work at my part time gig today. I wasn't quite sure what station I was supposed to be at so I called the Supervisor last night to find out. I wasn't on the schedule. Apparently they double scheduled two of us and put the other guy on instead of me. Not a problem I'll enjoy my day off filing taxes and trying to sell DD's old beater car. Waiting for a guy to come and see it now.

Looking at 5-7 miles after the potential car buyer shows up.

QOTD: Do you have anyone in your life that has a irrational fear of change.  The one area that I work in just had a new Dunkin Donuts open up. Some of the people in the area are against it, other seem to be accepting of it. My one co-worker was complaining about it and said that it won't go there. His biggest reason?  The donuts at the local convenience store (the only one in town) makes their donuts "with love" , Dunkin Donuts doesn't.  There are a lot of backward people in that area and I'm not sure that Dunkin will survive because of thought processes like that . Some people in that area would love to see a Panera  Bread but know that very few people would patronize it  just because it's different.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

going to head out for a snowshoe trip in the Elkhorns, weather is iffy- precip and a high wind warning- if it's not too bad I may make it an overnighter- every once in awhile I like to suffer an overnighter w/ just the kit I carry in my daypack.  Forces me to practice skills that I don't practice enough and helps me refine what (and what not) to carry.

qotd: no one personally, but we have lots of them (doesn't every area) and they seem to have uncanny influence in our legislative body- if it was good enough for great granddaddy, don't even try to fix it 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

good afternoon, trailers!  Just got back from 6 miles with the running group.  The group is based from the neighborhood sporting goods store, and a Hoka rep was there today with shoes for us to test run.  Tried the new Constants.  They were nice, but nothing that I'd throw away my brooks for.   It was fun to try them out-- definitely different than what I usually run in.

DD-- good luck on selling the car.

MTwarden-- careful out there!  have fun on that adventure.

qotd:  I like change.  a lot.  And that usually makes people who don't like change very uncomfortable, especially in the long haul (i.e. work or personal relationships).  Learned that lesson the hard way.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Count me in with the no-work group, it's a day off for me, too. I've had a few Saturdays off recently, which I appreciate, as it gives me a chance to sleep in.

No skiing, and no running today, because our middle DS has come down with a sizable cold and needs to be taken care of. Maybe I can sneak in a short run later, if DD decides to stay home instead of going out with her friends (there's a good chance this will happen with a 16-year-old, right?).

D1: Enjoy the day off, hopefully you'll get your miles in!

warden: Sleeping in an igloo again?

traildc: The Hoka experience sounds interesting. Not that I think I have the need for such shoes, but interesting to try them anyway.

QOTD: Sometimes I resist change myself. But once I've decided to accept it, I usually own it and drive the change.
          A colleague at work, however, really resists any change. She's been doing the same thing the last 13 years, in exactly the same ways, and it works, so why would she need to change anything? 

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job runtraildc on the prompting some new responders yesterday.

Ran 22 miles on snowmobile / ATV trails today with a buddy and DW.  It was a double out and back and we hit the car after 12 miles to restock. DW has been getting over a bad cold and did 13 and sat in the car reading while we finished.  My legs were pretty shot after 14-15 miles.  I ran some big hills in the snow on Thursday, and didn't feel like I was fully ready for the run.  Glad I had a friend along to push me or I might have had a hard time making myself go to the next turnaround.  That which does not kill you...

Dd1 - Nice surprise day off.  Good luck playing used car sales guy.

mtwarden - I'm living vicariously through you until healthcare reform pushed me to retire and move to Montana or Wyoming. Enjoy.

dc - How much taller were you in the Hoka's?

Couch - My bet is 16yo goes out.  Too much drama to be missed by staying home at that age.  Enjoy your day off.

QOTD:  Mmmmm donuts!!!  I like to change running and social things up, but can respect people's fear to neighborhood changes.  They want to change out Township zoning from Agricultural to Industrial so our immediate area can be opened up for developed.  Talk about a heated meeting! 25 years ago, DW and I bought our lovely 10 acre farmette to have a place for the kids to roam and to be away from the tourists and developments.  I wouldn't change that for the world.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NorthernHarrier

So another snowshoe race in the books. I am entered in another one next Sunday right near my shack and thinking of doing another one on Saturday also near here as I am being pushed by a friend/acquaintance from up here. I am enjoying these. Today's event was a mix of sugary sand deep snow on the logging roads and some great hard pack on the single track. You'd get flying on the single track and just slow to a crawl in the quagmire. Fun stuff.

Also in a small world sort of way, here we are way up north and I started talking to a woman in the parking area before the event and come to find out she lives less than a mile from me back near Madison and is also doing the Ice Age 50k. And she runs some of the same trails I do.  Cool. Hopefully I'll run into her again.

Think I'll head out skiing by headlamp tonight.

QOTD--I  accept change easily as long as I can see improvement in some way. Change just for changes sake.. not so much. Things evolve, there is normal progression and everything in the end attains it's level. (deep, huh?) Don't get some of us old timers to talk about the way things once were.  You have to evolve, man!  (don't mean you AT, I'd fight that right along side you. There is a reason we EVOLVED with laws and rules.)

hog4life

My 25k is done in 3:05. I'll do a RR later, but heard some say there was around 2600 feet of elevation gain. Lots of up and downs.

LB2

Tried the new Constants.  They were nice, but nothing that I'd throw away my brooks for.   It was fun to try them out-- definitely different than what I usually run in.

qotd:  I like change.  a lot.  And that usually makes people who don't like change very uncomfortable, especially in the long haul (i.e. work or personal relationships).  Learned that lesson the hard way.

I don't think you like change very much at all... Haha. Just kidding. If they don't work for you, don't change.

I ran 5 with the doggy. I need to put a picture of him on here, maybe tomorrow.

QOTD: If change is needed, I am all for it, but I understand how difficult it can be for folks, myself included at times. I don't think anyone would care whether a Dunkin Donuts opened or not. I think Dunkin Donuts would have a rough time beating the donuts in our little town. They are absolutely amazing.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Runtrail - I was going to correct you thinking that you meant to say "Conquests". Then I decided to go to Hokas site just to make sure that they hadn't brought out yet another new shoe and sure enough they had. Some times it pays to do some research before opening ones mouth.  I just got a pair of the Conquests and I'm not sure if I will like them as much as the Bondis.

AT -- As a country boy myself I can see why you wouldn't want a zoning change. Of course I live so far out in the country we have no zoning laws.

LB2 -- I'm actually not a big fan of Dunkin's donuts. They're OK but not great. However, they do beat the ones from the local convenience store. Theirs always seem stale.

Hog - Congrats. Sounds like a pretty good time for that amount of elevation gain.

runtraildc

I don't think you like change very much at all... Haha. Just kidding. If they don't work for you, don't change

Haha, LB.   I did like them, but certainly not enough to cough up the big bucks for them.  I can see how they'd be really nice for injuries or recovery.

Hog & harrier - congrats on your races!

Don't want to make my only appearance in the "new folks Friday" thread, so I'll try to keep on it!

Saturdays are my designated "hiking" days, so no run. 13-14 miles and 4,000' of elevation to today's summit, and my recently ailing Achilles was quiet. Hopefully that rolls into tomorrow morning's run!

qotd: I work with a lot of people that have horrible issues everytime something with the computer system (windows upgrade, new ms office version etc...)