Trailer Trash

Wild Wednesday (Read 31 times)

LB2

I did 2 this morning at the gym on the TM. I just did one mile up at 15% grade at 3.5 mph and 1 mile down at -3% grade at 7 mph. It was easy. Then, I did about 30 minutes of weights. I have 13 scheduled for after work, and I am thinking of doing it on the TM, all down hill at -3% grade. I have to do some sustained downhill, and that is the best way to do it around here.

QOTD: I have nothing.

LB2

The pooch and I had a sweaty 5 mile run.  My new shoes finally arrived and it was a way bigger change than I remember new shoes being in the past.  I guess that is because I had so many miles on all the shoes in the active category.  The knee felt great!  I had a little achilles tightness in the first mile and all was well from there on.

QOTD:  New shoes...  Do they feel great from the start?  Need break in?  Take a while until they are old friends?

I usually feel good in new shoes right off and find it a pleasant change.  I had a very short adjustment period for this latest pair, but probably only because I let the last pair go too long.  The mid soles were shot under forefoot (I am a natural forefoot striker).

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

DigDug2

5 crappy miles on the road today.  Humid, ankles/achilles felt really stiff, just one of those not-so-great runs.  May try to run again later today, probably on the TM.

LB2 - your gym has a TM that goes downhill?  Cool - I'd like to get me some of that.  Air conditioned gym sounds better than 95 degrees and humid...

QOTD:  I usually stick with the same models or updates and don't notice a lot of breaking in time.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning Trailers!  Nice 6 mile run this morning- 50 degrees at the trailhead, but the forecast high is 91!  Found out that the smoke that is hanging around is from a fire in the Northwest Territories- over 1000 miles away!

qotd: I usually break my shoes in w/ shorter runs and after a 50-60 miles then I'll start using them for long runs.  I've been using the same model of shoes, but seems like they stretch just a little (to accommodate my looong toes) which makes them more comfy

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

DigDug: Yeah. I was happy when I saw it. And for 10 bucks a month, I'll take that for sure. I really need a break from the horseflies. They are sucking me dry.

QOTD: I don't generally believe a break in period is necessary, but in some cases, it seems to be. For example, the first pair of NB 110's I had really were not working, but I wanted them to. So, I kept running in them for awhile. Finally, I got to about 95 miles on them, and I decided that if they did not work after that run I would trash them. It must have taken those 95 or so miles to "break" them in because I didn't have the same problem on that run and ran in them for way more miles than I should have. The next pairs worked fine from the beginning.

LB2

Occasional Runner

A speedy 6 miler on the trails. The Department of Wildlife issued a public warning about the mountain lion that's hanging out on my trail, so I'm mixing in some speedwork, too.

QOTD: If it's a new type of shoe, I'll wear it around for a few days before I run in them. Otherwise, they go from the box right to the trail.

The next pairs worked fine from the beginning.

That would seem to suggest that maybe you broke in to them rather that the other way around.  I suspect the same for the changes I saw this morning during my run.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Daydreamer1

Heading out the door soon for 6-7 miles on the road. After that it's off to work.  It's supposed to get into the 90's here today and be humid.

QOTD: I used to break shoes in but I never do anymore. I'll walk around the house in them for a couple of hours just to make sure they feel OK, then use them for a long run. I've never had any problems yet.

LB2

That would seem to suggest that maybe you broke in to them rather that the other way around.

I was thinking the same thing.

LB2

moonlightrunner

Planning 7 a little later. The weather is perfect. Took the day off from work....I have too much vacation time accumulated. I've been on storm clean up....framing and such.

Qotd: I've always been of the opinion that running shoes should feel great from the start. If I have the right shoes...they feel great. The few times they didn't I took them back for different shoes.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

XtremeTaper

Had a good run last night over at Monocacy Hill. I guess 6.5 miles. I think this was the first run of the summer where my shorts looked like I had just gotten out of the pool. All soaked with sweat, wet, and disgusting. Despite that I felt pretty good and even put the whooping on LadyB. I think she was affected more by the heat then me. She kept her woods wandering to a minimum for most of the run and stayed by my side.

Best run since my ultra and we finished it up with the up and over the namesake hill with a rest stop at the top to take in the view of Berks county all the way to Reading. Pretty much a rock scramble up there until the trail descends back down and then you can fly if you are brave enough.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/19528547.jpg

QOTD: Same model shoes usually feel just fine out of the box but I like to get a few shorter runs in a new pair before taking them out for a long run or race.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

97 degrees and the heat index said 103 degrees, so I changed into my running clothes, stepped outside and then went back in my office and got the keys to my car and drove to get a haircut.  Too hot for me today, so looks like an URD. 

QOTD:  I can wear new shoes right out of the box.  I honestly don't really see much difference if I break them in or not.  If the shoe had too many miles on them, then I can tell.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I did 14 miles with 3000+ vert ft yesterday at 90 degrees and a dewpoint of 72 degrees. Took me almost 3.5 hours, and it was a bit on the sweaty side - when I got to the car, I was dripping (including from the pack, but not because of a leak!) as if I had stepped right out of a pool. On the last few miles, it was thundering a lot all around me, but no rain just where I was running.

The deer flies were bad, I am thinking of getting deer fly patches for my hat. I hate those bugs.

Later, at the pool with the kids, I realized it's time to get that dark purple nail polish out again...

Maybe a few cooloff miles later today, right now it's 88 degrees, and not a bit less humid than yesterday, so an evening run seems more tempting.

QOTD: New shoes feel good right out of the box. Otherwise, I'll return them, or do not buy them to begin with at my LRS. Still I usually take them on a 5- to 10-mile spin before taking them out on the long run.

Run for fun.

moonlightrunner

Hey AT, how did the hammocks work out for you? I seem to recall you were going to try them out recently. I was just looking at The Clymb and they had one for $29.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

LB2

I am glad to see some of you experiencing what Sandy and I deal with on a daily basis for most of the year: Hot and humid air. It generally pays off in the fall if you get out there and get it, though. After many years of running in this hot and muggy environment, I think I have finally gotten acclimated to running in it. In years past, I have sort of slacked off during the summer because of the heat, but the only race I care about is in November. So, I need to just bite the bullet and suffer now so I can enjoy that one day in the fall.

LB2