Trailer Trash

earthquake Thursdaily (Read 20 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

woke up last tonight to a rather strong earthquake- shook the house pretty hard for 10-15 seconds and then several after shocks/tremors

got up early at got 4 miles in on the trails

qotd: have you felt an earthquake?  that's the only earthquake I've ever experienced, hopefully remains that way

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

I was going to start the daily and ask if you felt the quake. I just read about it. Largest quake to hit Montana in 20+ years. Says it was 5.8.

Taking it easy today. Day 9 of my captivity.

Where's Queeny been? She still on vacation?

QOTD:  2 quakes, both minor. Our first year in Iowa I heard the glasses rattling and thought a truck was going by. I looked out or picture window, and the building across from us was swaying in the opposite direction we were. Lasted maybe 20 seconds but just has some pictures fall off walls.  A few years ago, central PA had a small one and I was in a store at the time. Things were rattling on the walls, but I was very short and was over before I even thought it might had been a quake.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Seven miles for me and the Lady last night at Coventry Woods. Sort of a slow run, but it had it's moments. I think a day off today, or perhaps a visit to the planet of fitness.

QOTD: Yes, lived in Southern California for a few years. Went through a couple of low 6 point somethings. One was pretty strong. I remember a lot of people in the apartments where I lived headed outside and stood around for a few minutes. I guess we decided the coast was clear and went back indoors. LOL. Another time it was the morning and I was still crashed out in bed. Sort of like a massage, that one.  Felt one here in southern PA once, I can't remember what year, but I knew what it was when I felt it. It was a fairly strong 5 centered down in VA I believe. Odd for this area.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

qotd:  Yes, I've been in two earthquakes.  One in Japan and one in Korea.  Both times I got this queazy feeling in my stomach, like something is really wrong, which I guess is related to what happens when what you once thought was terra-firma is shaking.

My DD and her CT rider friends also encountered a "natural" issue yesterday. (At least I hope it was natural.)  As they were coming down the west side of the continental divide near Breckenridge (past Georgia pass) on Seg 6, off in the distance across the valley they spotted a small pillar of smoke, then later as it got larger they watched planes dropping water, etc.  When my DD called I confirmed that they should camp near civilization in case of an evacuation.  The girls and horses are all fine and camped near a trailhead called Blair Witch.  They put out the word of FB and their friends network and a local "trail angel" is going to trailer them and their horses to Copper Mountain trail head, 16 miles up the road via Frisco.  They have to skip Seg 7 because it's closed due to the fire.  They were thinking about sitting it out for a while to see if they get the fire out and open the trail, but due to the uncertainty of the timing of that option they opted to jump ahead.  Smart kids.

Here's a photo my DD took yesterday a little while after it started, now they say it's over 80 acres and they are predicting that it's going to get worse today. The CT goes right where the fire is and then goes along the top of that ridge in the distance to the left.  Breckenridge is out of sight in the lower left.

I'm planning on running in the heat of lunchtime today.

tbd.

AT-runner

Tim

The girls and horses are all fine and camped near a trailhead called Blair Witch.  

That movie was filmed about 40 minutes away from us (near the AT at Burkittsville, MD). I've run in those woods many times before and after the movie. Never felt creepy before the movie, but had a solo foggy run after the movie came out when I was a bit wigged out.

Glad the riders and beats are safe. Sucks about missing a section, but out of their control.

Mt Warden, that quake is somehow my fault, I'm sure, since I'm from the land of earthquakes (SF Bay Area) and I'm headed to Montana shortly.  Speaking of which, I heard today that Missoula is shortening the marathon cutoff to 6.5 hours due to heat.  7-10 degrees warmer than normal, they said. Delightful. It was 54 and foggy this morning in Half Moon Bay. 

SRD for me today.  Leaving tomorrow for MT/ID.

QOTD: yes, have felt a few.  We did earthquake drills when I was in grade school. Drop and cover!

MTA: scary stuff with the riders and the fire. Sounds like they made the right call. Not sure I'd stop anywhere called Blair Witch, tho. 

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Sandy-2

That movie was filmed about 40 minutes away from us (near the AT at Burkittsville, MD). I've run in those woods many times before and after the movie. Never felt creepy before the movie, but had a solo foggy run after the movie came out when I was a bit wigged out.

Glad the riders and beats are safe. Sucks about missing a section, but out of their control.

LOL, I thought the trailhead name was a bit ominous, but actually they are a half a mile away in Horseshoe Gulch.  My DD was really toying with the idea to wait for a day and see, because she wanted to do the whole trail, but in the end she also said that they can avoid a whole lot of issues if they hightail it early and get around it.  If they have to evacuate Breckenridge and they are still where they are, it would be a complete clusterf*ck!!!

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Gatsby- I think they are a little optimistic, temps for Saturday 98, Sunday 96- that's closer to 15 degrees above normal; but it's a dry heat 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

SRD. Sitting at work trying to sort out some scheduling messes. Need a few Ibuprofen.

Hope everyone fairs out well with the heat, earthquakes and fires.

QOTD:  Had the same small one that AT had but we were to the north of the epicenter.  Shook the house and DW said the car antennas were whipping back and forth like someone was playing with them. Have a crack in my foundation that I'm blaming on that.  I was out on the bike and it caused a flat tire . First one I had in years and the last one so it must have been from that . In reality I never felt it and only found out about it when some old guy stopped me to tell me that we had had one. I thought he was smoking something wacky until I got home and DW told me what happened.

LB2

I'll do 4 to 5 after work again today. I saw a ton of critters yesterday evening when I ran:

1. Four hen turkeys with 11 little ones.

2. Three more turkeys, probably the same gobblers I saw Monday. But they were in the back of a huge field.

3. Three hen turkeys by themselves.

4. One Barred Owl.

5. One bobcat.

QOTD: I have been in quite a few quakes, mostly light but a pretty solid one in Japan that cracked the cinder block wall in our barracks room. I probably went through 3 or 4 in So. Cal. Also, we had this guy who was from Providence, Rhode Island who was terrified of being in an earthquake. We were living in what they call an "open squad bay", which is just a big, long room with bunk beds in it. One weekend, the guy was taking a nap, and we decided it would be fun to get about four of us to shake his bunk while someone else turned the lights on and off real fast for about 20 seconds and the other people yelled and screamed. It was hilarious. He came off that bunk and was out the door in a flash. He was mad for a little while, but he really got a kick out of it once he calmed down.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

This woman has a running group but she shuts down the email so you cannot respond all.  So if they are running long on Sunday and you want to do a Saturday you can't respond to see if someone wants to run Saturday.  So someone created a FB page that is only to post where you are running and than others can join.  So I created a run this morning and we had a nice turn out.  I know most of you are loners but it's fun to run with others sometimes.  7 people showed and 4 dogs...5 miles was run.

QOTD:  Yes...nothing major.  Most happen while I am in bed  haha...but I remember a cool one where you could hear it rolling towards you.

AT:  Back...yep...vacation.  Had our friends come visit where we do stop non stop, boating, camping, kayaking, cliff jumping, drinking, games, quading eating and fireworks.  Lots of fun and very tiring...only ran once when the husband dropped me off on a dirt road in the middle of no where so me and the dogs could run to camp. 

TrailDC:  Saw your QOTD few days ak...I also plan to be in TC late August.....maybe we can hook up for a run.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

muppy

5.4 miles around town.

QOTD  I remember there was a small one a few years ago, I was sitting on a riding mower and I thought I felt it shaking. I said I'm just nuts and imagining things, but it was a small one.

runtraildc

Didn't run yesterday like I said I would. Didn't run this am either as it was raining. The kind of rain it's difficult to start out in, but is not too bad if you're already out running. But not to be the non-running poster, I did just get back from a 6 miler, which included roads, sidewalks, paved trail and dirt (which was packed and slick from all the rain).

Queen- I'll keep you posted. might just be a day or two around Aug. 26th, give or take.

qotd: a little one, while we were in the house here in DC. Didn't know what it was until the news hit. We missed the bigger one 3-4 years ago that cracked the Washington Monument and damaged the National Cathedral.

AT-runner

Tim

This woman has a running group but she shuts down the email so you cannot respond all.  So if they are running long on Sunday and you want to do a Saturday you can't respond to see if someone wants to run Saturday.  So someone created a FB page that is only to post where you are running and than others can join.  So I created a run this morning and we had a nice turn out.  I know most of you are loners but it's fun to run with others sometimes.  7 people showed and 4 dogs...5 miles was run.

I prefer to think f it as enjoying the solitude.  I'm with people all day, so running is my only alone time. Even when Jess and I run together, we are usually a few hundred yard apart. I can take a run with a friend or two, but the chatter of a group run starts to get to me when you hear 2-3 different conversations going on at the same time.

Hey, Trailfest in California in April 2017. Jess and I are thinking of meeting DD#1 there.

Gatsby - good luck with your double, and hope the heat and quakes don't get you.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

The chatter is sometimes good and yes it sometimes gets to me.  Some of these ladies can talk.  It makes me wonder how they have so much to say when they actually run together a couple times a week.

My Todd from my Utah trip brought this to my attention.  My first thought was why would I do this when I can drive there, camp and run on my own...but maybe.  Who knows where I will be in April though.  You once talked about Lake Tahoe...so if you come to this, you need to add a few days and go to Lake Tahoe and stop by our our....we could plan a Desolation Wilderness run.

I prefer to think f it as enjoying the solitude.  I'm with people all day, so running is my only alone time. Even when Jess and I run together, we are usually a few hundred yard apart. I can take a run with a friend or two, but the chatter of a group run starts to get to me when you hear 2-3 different conversations going on at the same time.

Hey, Trailfest in California in April 2017. Jess and I are thinking of meeting DD#1 there.

Gatsby - good luck with your double, and hope the heat and quakes don't get you.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄