Trailer Trash

Shadowless Saturdaily (Read 36 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Happy Groundhog Day, Everyone!

Good morning, Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow, which means - an early spring! And, he's right about 70%, so this is great news.

But, still winter here for now, 10 deg with a wind chill of -3. I am planning on a few miles after breakfast. My DS woke me up to watch the groundhog day festivities live on TV with him (the first time I saw it!), and now we're in for a great breakfast.

QOTD: pass.

Enjoy the weekend, and good luck to all the racers!

Run for fun.

Trail Monster

SRD today. Happy about it too. It was feels like -1 degrees when DH left for his run this morning! Hopefully it will at least be positive temperature when I do my LR tomorrow!

QOTD: What do you wear for temps in the single or negative digits? I froze my can off last night and I'm dreading tomorrows 20 miler.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Birdwell

Morning Folks! Got in 5.5 this morning.

I've decided I need to focus on one aspect of good running technique each time I go out. Today I focused on my cadence. I loaded up the ipod with a few songs that were around 170 BPM (thanks David Bowie, Michael Jackson and Tom Petty) and stuck with it as close as I could. It took a little while to get into a rhythm, but the results turned out o.k. I was a bit quicker overall (about 25 second per mile) and I actually feel pretty good after words.

This afternoon, I'm going to head out to my big hill, and see how bad the snow is. Hopefully I'll be able to get another 10 miles or so, this time working on my run/walk technique.

QOTD: I layer up when it gets cold. Single digits will call for two pairs of shorts, and two to three technical shirts (usually short sleeve and long).

Sub zero calls for wind pants over the shorts, and maybe a fleece sweater. I've got a fleece headband/ear warmer thingie, that I wear any time it's below freezing. For hand protection, I'll put a good layer of bag balm on my hands, followed by $1.00 black cotton gloves.

NorthernHarrier

Yesterday I did 6 miles on the roads and bike path. It was cold and breezy. Temp was 3F with a nasty chill factor when I turned into the wind. Today will just be weights and elliptical. Longish run tomorrow.

QOTD-- Yesterdays run- light tech short sleeve tee with a fleece pullover and then a light running/x-country ski jacket. Compression type shorts with hind tights over. Basic tech socks, cheapo gloves, and a light tech stocking type hat. Only my face got cold into the wind. Normally I dress fairly light as after the first mile or so I am usually toasty.  I try to wear my most cushiony shoes when it's that cold as the midsoles can become pretty stiff.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Going Mt Biking with the old man later.  Suppose to be 60 and sunny...take that my midwestern friends.  So will probably barbeque after our ride.

QOTD: Probably shorts and a tank top becuase I would be inside running the treadmill.  We don't get that cold her so I do not know what I would wear.

Watoni:  Stintson Trail Marathon, is that your race?

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

sugnim

Happy Groundhog's Day folks.  I feel like I've been under a rock this past week.  My stomach was doing awful things to me, and I only got to go for 2 highly unsuccessful runs.  But, today's another day, right?  And I'm not going to catch any of the other crud that's going around the office, right?  Ugh.

It's in the high 20's here & sunny.  Despite not having gone for a real run for the past week, I want to get out & hit the trails for about 10 miles today with our dog.  I think the fresh air and sunlight will do me good.

QOTD:  In those conditions, I generally wear tights with a light weight fleece pant over them, a long sleeve tech shirt with a short sleeve tech shirt underneath & tucked in, gloves, and a buff.  I might also add a zipper vest, and if it's wet and icy, I wear gore tex ASICS and ice cleats.

Daydreamer1

Another work induced rest day here. Yesterday I wimped out, stayed inside and spent a hour on the eliptical. Actually got in a good work out as this one changes the elevation so you can get the same effect as climbing stairs.

Punxsutawney Phil had better be right or I might have to pay him a visit with my trusty shotgun Big grin. For some reason I'm tired of winter and it's not even been a bad one.

FTYC: A great Breakfast? Thinking about that it making me hungery. All I had was a small slice of pineapple upside down cake.

Banshee: It's supposed to be a little bit warmer tomorrow so you may be in luck.

Bird: That sounds like what I need to do. The older I get the harder it is to keep up my candence and I have trouble working on it on the road.

NH: Was the wind strong enough that the tailwind pushed you along?

QoN: 60 and sunny? Why must you rub it in??? Cry

QOTD: I haven't run yet in negative temps, but here is what I wear for anything below 25. Upper body:  Short sleeve tech base layer, Long sleeve base layer, hooded long sleeve bike jersey, topped with a windbreaker and my normal running hat. Lower Body: Windblocking underwear and lined wind pants with smartwool socks. For gloves I either use a windproof, waterproof glove or if it's in the teens, lobster gloves. This allows me to roll up sleeves, unzip, etc. as needed and I have yet to get truely cold.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Up and out early for what I thought was 15 miles but turns out it was about 14.5.  Nonetheless it felt ok and I am building my LRs again.  It was about 12 deg F at sunrise but felt good to me.  I know I have a limit of what I will run in but this was not it.  The wind was considerably less than it has been so that helped a lot.  But I did see a ground hog - how appropriate.  I asked him if he saw his shadow and he said yes.  It was sunny at the time I saw my shadow.  But whatever that means!

QOTD: I don't vary my clothing too much: a ski hat, anywhere betwen 2-4 layers on top, one or two pair of gloves, shorts (always shorts).  I only saw one person on the trails this morning and she was walking her dog.  She made a comment about why I was in shorts, I simply said yes and kept moving.  It's my hands that I worry about. Even with two pair of gloves, my fingers get too cold.  I need to find a good pair of mittens.  I think that would help.

Have a great day everyone and hope the Rocky Racooners are doing well!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

It was a chilly 8 mile morning trail run for the pooch and me.  We got out late because we hit the used gear sale at REI (didn't buy anything).

CNN said Phil was right 30% of the time, so don't count on an early spring!

QOTD: Windproof bike tights, a thin pile shirt under a windbreaker, a cap, and gloves.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Scrapster

Hey, Trail People.

3.5M road run this morning with my guy, followed shortly thereafter with 5.3M snowshoe hike with Mandyroo.  I have an apartment to clean, laundry and ironing to do, and errands to run.  Pretty sure the couch is calling my name for a little nappy nap though...right after I eat another Mandy-cookie.  Yummmmmmm....

QOTD:  I ran this morning (7*F and a nasty ripping wind) in smartwool socks, Brooks fleece-lined tights, fleece-lined mock neck shirt (from Kohls a couple of years ago), and a Sugoi shell.  Hat, Saucony insulated gloves.  I wish I had taken my scarf when we were running into the wind, but didn't miss it otherwise.

Have a great day, everyone!

Trail Monster

It was a chilly 8 mile morning trail run for the pooch and me.  We got out late because we hit the used gear sale at REI (didn't buy anything).

CNN said Phil was right 30% of the time, so don't count on an early spring!

QOTD: Windproof bike tights, a thin pile shirt under a windbreaker, a cap, and gloves.

I saw that he was wrong 30% of the time? Wonder what the truths and how it's measured?

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

runtraildc

afternoon!  6.2 miles with DS on the paved bike-hike trail.  not exciting, but near to home so boy can have an easy exit, if needed.

qotd.  in single digits, I layer with tights, fleece tights and wind pants.  merino zip top, another long sleeved shirt and a running shell.  maybe a lightweight fleece, too.  Hat, mittens and, if windy, a scarf.  As you can see, I run cold.  I become the michelin (wo)man in those layers and so I'm glad it rarely dips beyond the teens (and that doesn't happen that often, either).

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

So, this turned into an unexpected rest day. My youngest has a cold, and with it croup again. I am just hoping for a good night and no bouts of choking and constant coughing/barking.

QOTD: Usually one pair of tights and fabric windbreaker pants over them, a mid-weight or heavy-weight long-sleeve shirt, a fleece jacket (just the thin one if I wear my rain jacket, otherwise a thicker one), and if there's a lot of wind, my rain jacket on top. Double-layer fleece hat, winter socks (drymax), and running mittens. That works well even in strong winds and temps around zero.

I also have to apply Aquaphore (or similar) cream to my face, and Chapstick on my lips and nose.

Run for fun.

Wandering Wally

Good evening trail friends.  Got in 6.7 miles today.  Day 3 of training by heart rate and I'm starting to get a feel for the effort level.

QOTD:  Layers.  All wool and synthetics.  No cotton.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Queen of Nothing

Sue

QoN: 60 and sunny? Why must you rub it in??? Cry

People in the midwest were running in shorts and short sleeves while I was stuck in the 30s....ok not the same.  Anyways you will be happy to know it was 60 and hazy.  Not what the weatherman ordered.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄