Trailer Trash

Monday...again. (Read 20 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Back to Monday. At least the next weeks are short ones since I'm taking off next Friday for a race and Memorial Day is the Monday. the 29th.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.  Nice job NHLA, Jon and George on your races anyone else).

Nothing at all today.  Not even walking.  Right hip is a bit sore, but it's probably just normal taper soreness. Easy 5-6 miles tomorrow on the road.  I'm staying off the trails until after the race so I can't fall and screw things up.

QOTD:  What's are you reading?  Does anyone use books on tape?  I just started The Atlantis Gene on my Kindle. It's from 2014, but was highly reviewed. So far so good.  Might have to read the next 2 in the series after I'm done.  I've never tried Books on Tape, not sure if I'd lie it, or if it would feel like I'm back i a college lecture.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Hey all. A pretty good but slow soaking run for me on Saturday. About 15 miles around the lake on the water covered trails. Pretty good soaker. The creeks and rivulets were flowing pretty strong down the hills on the south side of the lake. Gushing white water and a few small waterfalls. it the summer these can be totally dry. Followed that up with 8.5 on Sunday at French Creek. The woods was all green and freshly scrubbed from the rain.

Windy today. Plan is for 6-8 miles at a trail TBD after work. Planet of fitness at lunch.

QOTD: Shamed to admit just reading National Geographic at the moment while taking care of business in the morning. Summer I do more reading out on the deck. Need to find some good sci-fi or something for this year. I sadly have no recommendations. I am old school and still do printed books, no eReader.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Good morning!  I went for a little overnight bike adventure over the weekend.  Rode to my favorite local state park, spent the night at the hiker/biker campground, and then rode home.  It was a nice mix of roads and rail to trail and the weather was picture-perfect.  Now if only I could control the wind...  Here's some pics:

QOTD:  I haven't been on top of my reading game lately.  Really need to pick up something good, so I'll be looking forward to seeing some of your suggestions!  I've never done audio books before, but I like podcasts, so maybe that's something to try in the future.

Running is dumb.

LB2

Monday is supposed to be an SRD, but I was going to run this morning anyway. But, I was up a little later than normal doing my brother's state taxes. That sucker got a $314 dollar refund and a couple of grand from the feds. I told him he owed me a box of shotgun shells and an expensive decoy. I called a turkey up for him this year and netted him 2300+ in tax returns, so that is the least he could do. Anyway, I'll run 6.5 after work today. I cleaned up the trails yesterday with the weed eater. I love running on them when they are cleaned up, makes me feel fast.

QOTD: I am currently reading "Junkyard Dogs" (Longmire Mystery) by Craig Johnson. I have always loved stories set in the West. And Craig Johnson's ability to build characters is really top notch. For the most part, the stories and relationships don't feel contrived. They feel real. I have read some other critically acclaimed writers whose stories just seemed forced; they don't flow naturally. I guess I have read about 10 of his novels that are part of the Longmire series. I've been stuck on them for quite awhile. I finished "Serpent's Tooth" last week, and I finished "Another Man's Moccasins" on Saturday, both Longmire mysteries. I should finish "Junkyard Dogs" tonight or tomorrow. My favorite Longmire mystery is "Hell is Empty", which takes place in the Big Horn backcountry in Wyoming. It gets into some Native American mysticism and all sorts of stuff that I like to read and think about. It is a great series.

I have not used audio books, and I tend to like the book to be in my hand rather than use an electronic device. However, I do use a Kindle fairly often.

LB2

jonferg67

Endless trails

Hi folks,

SRD today. Woke up with a painful heel, might have something to do with

the nasty trails on Sunday. I iced, massaged and took naproxen, better now.

Glad I got a good race in yesterday, first race in almost 3 years. Now I can

focus on just running long again.

QOTD: I've been reading Bill Bryson. A walk in the woods might be of interest

to some of you, about hiking the AT. Now I'm reading A Brief History of Everything

by him.

Daydreamer1

SRD. Spending the day goofing off at work trying not to earn my paycheck .

AT - Staying off the trails to prevent injuries, eh. Now why didn't think about that?  Actually was going to stick to the dirt road on the mountain yesterday, but the siren song of the trail pulled me in.

Xtreme - The leaves have been looking really nice lately. The one thing I like about the spring.

Mandy - Looks like a good bit of weight on there. Good to get the legs strong.  If you ever find that elusive creature called a tailwind enjoy it.  Seems like it disappeared from this area because that nasty guy, headwind, moved in .

LB2 - Isn't is a little late for taxes or is LA just behind everyone else.  If he made you do an extension I say that's worth an extra box of shells.

QOTD: Too much medical and investment stuff.  I did get caught up on my Alaska Magazines over the past several weeks. Years abo when I was driving truck I would listen to some books on tape. It's was better than nothing but I'd rather read.  Can't get into using a tablet for books either for some reason which is kind of weird considering how much I use the internet.

LB2

LB2 - Isn't is a little late for taxes or is LA just behind everyone else.  If he made you do an extension I say that's worth an extra box of shells.

Louisiana state income taxes are due May 15th. I did his federal taxes in April.

LB2

Gator eye

Hi all, spent the weekend north of here looking for morels and squeezed in some nice trail runs along the way. I got a pair of speedgoats on clearance sale and finally got a chance to run them through the ringer. After 22 miles on the trails I feel they are going to make a great race day shoe, I think they'll wear out to quickly for a everyday shoe. They have a heavy lug on the sole and will probably wear down quickly.

QOTD: nothing lately, not enough hours in the day

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I didn't run all weekend.  Went to a co-workers husbands funeral Saturday...62 healthy farmer.  He had a heart attack, he was alone at the farm so surveillance cameras caught it.  He fell backwards into a bush of daisies.   It did put me into a weird mood for the rest of the weekend.   but got some chores done and now it is Monday...missed the run this morning but will go after work and gym at lunch.

QOTD:  I just finished "Just Mercy" an actually lawyer who spent his life trying to get wrong accused (mostly black) people off death row.  It just reinforces that we live in a world full of shitty people.   Before that I read "Brain on Fire: My Month of Maddness" a true story about a girl who had encephalitis in the brain and went crazy for about a month before doctors figured it out.  Sometimes we listen to books on tape during long drives.  I wanted to download on ipod and listen while running long.  Need to go to the library and ask them how.

XT:   what page are you on?

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

Congrats to all those racers out there this past weekend.

I ended up doing 10 yesterday afternoon, it was really hot, but my legs felt a little better.

I might be joining my DD for another race next weekend. It's a 12-hour scavenger hunt type of thing run on some loop trails.  Same trails that my DD rides on sometimes, I've done a lot of the loops while crewing for her, plus we ran one of the loops at that memorial for her friend a month or so ago.  We'll revisit the tree we planted for him.  Anyway we know the trails pretty well so it should give us an advantage on the treasure hunt part, the run should be fun, but again, hot (and very slow).

qotd: I've been reading "Heat & Light", Jennifer Haigh (recommended by my DW).  It took me a long time to get into it, now it's a bit better, I'm just trying to get through it.  I'm reading it on my phone on the Kindle app.  Have never done a audio book. I do prefer old school paperbacks.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

runtraildc

Was going to be a rest day, but might get in 5 or 6 tonight during swimming since it is so nice out.

qotd: Just finished 'Strangers Tend to Tell me things' a memoir by Amy Dickinson ('Ask Amy' and Wait, Wait don't tell me) and "Pilgrim's Wilderness' about  a cult leader/father 'Papa Pilgrim and his cult/family in Alaska, mainly centered around their battle with the NPS  and their land by the Kennecott Mine in SE Alaska. I would highly recommend both.  And two extraordinarily different life stories.

AT-runner

Tim

XT - naked villager pictures in Nat Geo while in the bathroom.

Mandy - nice trip. BTW, that first picture reminds me of a "first day of school" photo.

Gator - did you find any morels, or just a nice walk in the woods looking?

Queen - I get the same feeling after funerals.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I'm a wee bit sore from Saturday's 20 mile race (they call it a 30k, I call it what it is  Wink. Probably strength train this evening.

qotd: just finished re-reading Edward Abbey's Desert Solitaire- I read it 30+ years ago, well worth the re-read

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

adkkev

"Pilgrim's Wilderness' about  a cult leader/father 'Papa Pilgrim and his cult/family in Alaska, mainly centered around their battle with the NPS  and their land by the Kennecott Mine in SE Alaska. 

I read this last year ... it was a Christmas gift from my DIL in Alaska.