Trailer Trash

Reading a Map Thursdailies (Read 22 times)

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Rest day for me.  Packing up tonight.  Setting up base camp tomorrow.  Eat and do some running afterwards.

warden - There is definitely a primordial feeling to being alone in the ocean, even if a couple hundred yards off shore.  You don't know what lurks beneath, and if you're the only one around it's a peaceful yet edgy feeling.  Once a fall storm came by, so I took to opportunity to catch some waves with swells up to 12 feet.  The swells didn't break, so I sat there rolling up and down on the board with only a couple others in sight, but pretty far away.  If anything happened, nobody would find me until after the storm and probably washed up several miles away.  But knowing myself and reading the waves, I never felt in danger.  I'd imagine days alone in the back country wilderness may feel similar.

Sandy - I can't bring myself to calling that city Busan.  It's always Pusan to me.  My family lived there almost 50 years ago.  Glad you're feeling better and getting some runs in!  Whatcha eating, BTW?

QOTD:  Paper maps, yeah, those relics.  How do you read them?  North pointed up / away from you?  Or do you orient the map to the direction you are facing?

I HAVE to keep north in the up / away direction.  If I ever tried the other way, I'd be all sorts of confused.  But I've known others that can only do it the other way.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Sandy-2

Jet lagged and can’t sleep tonight.  A friend and I went on a midnight excursion to Samgwangsa temple about 3 miles from the hotel. They are all set for Buddha’s birthday later this month.

Burt-o, yeah when I lived here 30 years ago this place was called Pusan and they were just starting to think about switching it to Busan.  Years later they made the switch. I figure that if I keep insisting on calling it Pusan, folks would just think I’m some old fart. (While it may in fact be true, I don't want to advertise it.)

Qotd: North is always up (away).

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Daydreamer1

I was thinking about going for a nice little stroll around the neighborhood this evening but will probably pack instead.  Making my list and checking it twice.

Did 5.1 miles last evening at a easy pace. Felt good but I see a lot of walking in my future this weekend.

Bert-o - Looking forward to meeting you. I figure I'll easily be able to pick you out  in your green shirt and leopard print kilt .   I'll probably get there around 3 pm.

QOTD:  I prefer to have north pointed away from me. I can manage in any orientation but if west ain't to the left and east to the right I'll get messed up.  Most of the kids I work with these days can't even read a map on the computer .

XtremeTaper

A pair of sixes for me. 6 miles last night on the trails of Warwick Park with the Lady. A bit slow, especially on the hilly charcoal trail, but managed a nice speedy finish to wrap it up. Ran solo today at lunch on the local trail. 6 miles with some effort, relatively speedy for me these days, with a nice light shower to cool me off during the final half mile. Smell of honeysuckle or something sweet during both runs.

QOTD: Never thought about it too much. I guess typically the map makers orient close to north? I love printed maps though. Atlas, trail maps, it doesn't matter. The gps map in my car drives me crazy at time when I try to navigate with it to avoid detours or traffic jams. It automatically shifts your point of view so it's hard to tell if you are heading the way you want, unless you shift the view way out.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

Ran 4 on the road. We had heavy thunderstorms roll through this morning dumping tons of rain, so stayed off the flooded trails.  Since I'm not running, we'r heading to Chincoteague for a few days. Weather looks good.

Craig and Bert - good luck this weekend. Moving forward, even if  it's a slow walk, records more miles than sleeping in a tent.  Stay cool if it gets hot out there.

Sue - good luck with your 50K

QOTD:  I was taught to always point North toward North.  That makes fining landmarks easier and spotting with a compass. I do the same thing with my phone when I use maps, I don't lock North to point up.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

bert-o  sounds neat

Sandy- neat pics!

5.5 miles for Tiny Elvis and I yesterday evening; 4-5 planned for this evening

qotd: If I’m looking at something- ridge line for example, I want the map oriented exactly as I’m seeing it; if I’m looking south, the map is oriented with north pointed behind me.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Sandy - Nice pics!

Dreamer - Likewise!  And yep, you'll find me pretty easily.  We'll set up camp early, then go run some errands, then come back at least a few hours before start time.

XT - I always loved printed maps and atlases ever since I was a kid.  It was the GPS car map that got me thinking of this question because it drove me nuts at first.  I guess I'm getting used to it now.

AT - Thanks and enjoy Chincoteague!  Hope you catch some ponies (not literally.... unless you want to).

Sue - Good luck!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Still no run, just a bad cough. Hoping for better days soon!

Sandy: magical pictures! Probably the midnight schedule was what threw you off?

Berto: sounds like a plan. Good luck, and find DD1!

DD1: good luck! Hope you have a good time.

XT: double 6 sounds nice!

AT: must feel good to be running again!

Warden: TinyE seems to keep you on track! Just an amazing dog!

QOTD: I have always loved paper maps. When I was a child, my sister and I would always look at an atlas or map when we were traveling as a family, and imagine all kinds of places we found.

I usually have North pointing up, but when I’m thrown right into it without even knowing where I am, and have no compass, I try to align the map with landmarks until I find my position, then turn the map North up and decide where to go next.

Run for fun.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

3.2 miles at various paces but not really  fartlek

qotd: I've always loved maps and studied our globe and atlas as a kid. Of course it's way out of date now, but historically interesting to see the Belgian Congo and other countries that no longer exist. I still use paper road maps rather than an app, and I always have a detailed topo map when hiking anything other than a well marked, well traveled trail. I don't need one to hike in Valley Forge, but I'd definitely have one in Glacier.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

No run on Thursday or any other day this week up to Thursday.

QOTD: I like paper maps. As far as orientation, I always use a compass in conjunction with a topo map. I generally use satellite imagery now, but sometimes utilize topo. I always do this for out of state hunting trips. There are certain terrain features that clue me in on where a turkey might be roosted or where a deer might travel, etc. I did this in April for a trip we took to Oklahoma. We were on the birds as soon as we got there. I had no idea it would be so crowded with people, but we still had a great trip, even though we came home empty handed. We had a couple of screw ups that cost us some birds that should have come home with us, but it wasn't because we didn't know where we were, except for one time. We plan to go back there next year with a lot more knowledge, and I predict a more productive hunt. Anyway, the important part of the whole mapping/planning thing for me is that I find it fascinating how much different it is when you actually step foot on the ground as opposed to looking at a map or imagery. For example, out West, I can't always tell if I am looking at big trees or some sort of scrubby stuff. The same thing happened in Oklahoma (I guess that is sort of out West), but after stepping foot on it, I can better assess new ground because I know what I am looking at on imagery.

I had to learn map reading when I was in the Marines. When you know you have to call for fire (artillery or by air) and you are looking at the impact area, it is very strong motivation to understand how to read a map and understand exactly where you are on the map.

LB2