Trailer Trash

Where are you (home/primary running area)? (Read 498 times)

Uh oh... now what?

I'm not after your mailing address.  There are quite a few (a lot?) of new folks here and I am curious

about where you are and what you think of as "home trails"?

I am on Whidbey Island in Washington State.  The trails of Fort Ebey State Park and the bluff and prairie

of Ebey's Landing are where most of my running is done.  We do have some mountains nearby.

Shakedown Street

Dallas, TX and all over our state.

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

Birdwell

I currently call Cedar City, Utah home. We're a smaller community (by my standards) of around 30,000 or so, located in the southwestern corner of Utah. Elevation wise we're right at 6000'.  I'm about 20 minutes northeast of the Kolob section of Zion National Park. I get the privilege of training in red rock canyons, and enjoying all the geography associated with the Colorado Plateau. My home trails are all located in the Ashdown Gorge Wilderness area, Dixie National Forest, and Zion National Park.

It's actually a pretty great place to train. I can leave my house and be on trails in any direction in about 10 minutes of running. I also have the benefit of being able to top out over 10,000' by trails, within 7 miles of my front door.   

AT-runner

Tim

Gettysburg, PA.

Appalachian Trail (Carlisle, PA to Harpers Ferry, WV) and Michaux Forest on regular basis.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Parkville Maryland a Baltimore suburb.  We have some surprisingly nice trails for being so close to an eastern metro area.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Sandy-2

Kingwood, TX (a little NE of Houston). 

It's as flat as a tortilla here and elevation of about 100 feet.  I could run all day and gain about 100 more feet in elevation.  Being east Texas, it is normally quite warm, and always humid.

Most of my "trails" are greenbelts behind houses.  It actually isn't bad because I could run for 30 miles on them and not have to cross more than a few streets.  They are paved though and I run along the side of them for the most part.  Huntsville, TX (home of Rocky Raccoon 100) is about an hour's drive and we make the trek every once in a while for some "real trails" up that way.

Oh yeah, I'm also fortunate and travel a lot for my job and I have lots of other "home trails" around the globe.  Most notibly London, Oslo, Busan, Athens, Yokohama (I won't include Shanghai because there are no trails there...).  My DD does a lot of endurance horse rides all over TX and even the US, so I have lots of other "home trails" wherever she rides.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Boalsburg, Central PA, near State College and Penn State University.

My home trails are in the Tussey Mountain and Rothrock State Forest areas, Shingletown trails, and sometimes a few loops on Mount Nittany.

Lots of elevation gain, some creeks, and the trails are very rocky, technical and steep. And in the middle of it all, there's a large swamp.

Alternatively, when I get fed up with all the rocks, I run on the gravel roads, there's hundreds of miles of those around.

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Near Harrisburg, PA.

Appalachain Trail - going north and south for Hbg area.  Many side trails off the AT including Darlington & Tuscarora.  Horse Shoe Trail also with many side trails including a very long rail trail.  Boyds Big Tree preserve, Hbg Green Belt (mostly paved), Pinchot Park.  I do a lot of my running at a local park that had paved paths, grass, and single track trail for a nice mix. 

I can do flat, rolling, steep hills, short and long hills.  The only thing I wish was different was living closer to trails - I end up running a lot of pavement simply because of time.  Driving to the trails eats some precious time.  I wish I could access a trail directly from my home. 

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

KreegSauceRuns

King, NC.  a little NW of Winston Salem.  Home Trails are Pilot Mtn State Park and Hanging Rock State Park.  Pilot Mtn pictured below.

1/8/22 - Frosty 50k - 5:21:19 (strava)

3/26/22 - Blackbeard's Revenge 100 - 27:27:06 (strava)

9/30/22 - Yeti 100 - Abingdon, VA - 25:46:01 (strava)

4/1/23 - Umstead 100 - Raleigh, NC

Southeastern MA here.  I run trails all over southeastern MA and branch out to the Boston area for longer trails.  Thankfully there is a town only a few miles away that has a natural resource trust and has many trusts with well maintained and marked trails.  

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

John, you already have my mailing address.  Should be I worried?  Smile

I'm in beautiful Madison, Wisconsin.  Home to good beer, good cheese, and some spectacular trail running.

Running is dumb.

jonferg67

Endless trails

I'm in Southeastern Mass. Buzzards Bay, Ma. to be exact. This is a temporary stop for

a year, we intend to move closer to Boston. I'm still finding new places to run trails, I

have about 10 different spots I alternate through right now. Hoping to move closer to

the Blue Hills Reservation trails in Milton, Ma.

I did spend the past 7 years running the trails in the East Bay of SF in Ca. Incredibly 

nice trails. I could also hit 20 miles of trails right in my backyard if I didn't want to drive.

Wandering Wally

Northern lower peninsula of Michigan. Surrounded by state and national forest.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

xor

I live in Seattle, sandwiched 3 blocks from Puget sound and 3 blocks from Key Arena.  Kinda down the road from Weegee and Shegee.  Kinda.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Oh, I missed the home trails question.

The Ice Age Trail is my home trail.  My second network of home trails are in Blue Mound State Park.  I run other trails as well, but those are "mine" in my head.

A Midwestern view at Blue Mounds:

Running is dumb.