Trailer Trash

Where are you (home/primary running area)? (Read 498 times)

Green Lake neighborhood of Seattle, just north of the city. We have a couple of parks nearby with decent trails (Discovery, Carkeek), but the really fun stuff is at least 1/2 hour away. (Love Cougar, which is part of the Issaquah Alps. Just ran 16 there today!)

Weegee

^^^ Currently, one story below this gal. ^^^

runtraildc

Silver Spring, MD,  just on the DC border.  No mountains, but lots of trails- setting aside public, natural areas was (surprisingly) a priority for this area.  Rachel Carson Greenway is my current favorite-- usually get it all to myself. 

Wandering Wally

Apparently I missed the home trails question as well. I mostly run on a network of trails in the state forest. It's a 5 minute drive from my house. Also I would consider the North Country Trail part of my home trails, or at least the segment that runs close to me. The backpackers give me funny looks. I don't think they see too many trail runners out there.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

MorganaRuns

Slower than you

I've been in Athens, GA for just over a year now, so I'm still exploring different trails here. My favorites thus far are Cook's Trail, the State Botanical Gardens, Ft. Yargo State Park and Lake Herrick. Lake Herrick has a really nice dog park with trails where my dog and I can run off leash.

But I still consider the Riverfront Loop and the Clinton Lake trails in Lawrence, KS to be my "hometown" trails. My husband still lives in Lawrence, because he has to find a job and sell our house before he can join me here in Athens, so when I go back there I love to run on those "hometown" trails.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man" - The Dude

Upcoming races: AthHalf: 10/20

toyger

John, great question. It's neat to see where folks are running. I live in Richmond, VA, and even though it's a small city, there are a few trails near the James River that runs through the city. I run the Buttermilk and Belle Isle trails (below). I've also run trails at several nearby parks: Forest Hill and Deep Run. These are mostly single track but not too technical. I'm hoping to explore some of the trails near Harrisonburg, VA--a lot more elevation in this area of VA.

Belle Isle:

Belle Isle

Buttermilk Trail:

Buttermilk Trail

Jen

sugnim

Montucky.

My "home" trails are the Rattlesnake Recreation Area, Blue Mountain, Crazy Canyon, the Kim Williams Trail, Waterworks Hill, and Kelly Island.  There are also a lot of nice parks to run through & get a little bit of a trail feel on a road run, and plenty of hilly country roads to take advantage of.

NorthernHarrier

Another Madisonian. As Mandy said we do have a lot of good systems right around us. I seldom run at the same place more than once a week.

I also have a place in northern Wi.(Presque Isle) which sits on the border with Upper Michigan and spend an awful lot of time there. Beautiful  trails all around me up there including the Porcupine Mts. Millions of acres of public lands around the area,both Mi. & Wi.

toyger-- No mention of Pocahontas state park??? I've run in there several times as I have a sister that lives in Richmond. Seems nice enough for me at least when visiting.

runner1304

I'm in Chicago. So, I guess my home trail is the dirt next to the Lake Front path? I run it 4-5 times a week. I try to get out to Palos Hills area and the Des Plaines Trail a couple times a month.

03/23/13: Clinton Lake 10 miler

04/07/13: Chicago's Shamrock Shuffle 8k

05/11/13: DWD Gnaw Bone 50k

toyger

Another Madisonian. As Mandy said we do have a lot of good systems right around us. I seldom run at the same place more than once a week.

I also have a place in northern Wi.(Presque Isle) which sits on the border with Upper Michigan and spend an awful lot of time there. Beautiful  trails all around me up there including the Porcupine Mts. Millions of acres of public lands around the area,both Mi. & Wi.

toyger-- No mention of Pocahontas state park??? I've run in there several times as I have a sister that lives in Richmond. Seems nice enough for me at least when visiting.

NorthernHarrier, thanks for the recommendation! I'm still new to the area (recently moved here last year), so I'm still exploring. Smile I will definitely check this out.

I am taking note of all the places to visit/ run in the west and northwest!

Jen

I'm in Southeastern Mass. Buzzards Bay, Ma. to be exact. This is a temporary stop for

a year, we intend to move closer to Boston. I'm still finding new places to run trails, I

have about 10 different spots I alternate through right now. Hoping to move closer to

the Blue Hills Reservation trails in Milton, Ma.

I did spend the past 7 years running the trails in the East Bay of SF in Ca. Incredibly 

nice trails. I could also hit 20 miles of trails right in my backyard if I didn't want to drive.

Buzzards Bay is fairly close to where I live.  Have you ever gone trail running in Dartmouth, MA or Rhode Island?  In RI there is Lincoln Woods and Weetamoo Woods. 

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

Queen of Nothing

Sue

NorCal in the Sieera foothills.  No name trail with many no treespassing signs outside my house until I hit the state park, Empire Mine.  Also do a lot of runs on the Pioneeer Trail and Casade/Gracie Canal.  Hit the Rim trail in Tahoe couple times this summer and plan on finishing running all of them next summer. 

This is the Yuba Tral...another place I like to run....guess I don't know how to post pictures here.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Boulder, Colorado

No good trails out here... 

I usually live in Indianapolis, where my home trails are at Fort Benjamin Harrison State Park and Eagle Creek (both within half an hour's drive). Fort Ben more often because I get the yearly state park pass, which is good for all the parks in Indiana and is cheaper than the EC pass, which is only good there. Occasionally Holliday Park, which is close to me but small--they have a fun trail race there every March, though. There's also a great single-track bike trail on 96th Street (Town Run)--I've done a couple of trail 5Ks there, and keep meaning to get back and run it on my own but haven't yet. There are more state parks I mean to explore that are an hour or two away. 

Since August, I've been in Oulu, Finland, without much in the way of trails apart from a few miles of well-groomed dirt through the woods. Otherwise, it's paved (or sometimes dirt) bike/pedestrian paths. I do appreciate those, because they go on forever and don't cross roads very often--quite different from the rail trail in Indy, which has a crossing or two (at least) every mile.

We go home in just over a month. It'll be great to hit the state park trails again, but on those days when I have to hit the rail trail instead I'll really miss the network of car-free paths here. Seriously, it's fricking paradise for road running and biking--over 550 km of paths.

toyger

NorCal in the Sieera foothills.  No name trail with many no treespassing signs outside my house until I hit the state park, Empire Mine.  Also do a lot of runs on the Pioneeer Trail and Casade/Gracie Canal.  Hit the Rim trail in Tahoe couple times this summer and plan on finishing running all of them next summer. 

This is the Yuba Tral...another place I like to run....guess I don't know how to post pictures here.

Queen of Nothing, I wasn't sure either but ran across other posts that explained how. You have to post the actual URL when you click on the picture icon in the toolbar. You can use photobucket to upload and then copy the url.

Jen