Trailer Trash

Where are you (home/primary running area)? (Read 498 times)

Trail Dog

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to check it out. Do you know if you need a map or are the trails well marked/easy to follow? Are they single track or multi-path? any hills? I have a hard time finding hills to run. I have one locally that's about 80ft high, but that's it. Sad

"Hilly" is a very subjective term. Everybody told me to run the orange loop at Palos if I wanted hilly technical trails. I've been out there a few times, and I don't think it is very hilly or very technical. Deer Grove is somewhat hilly in places, but I go here because it is an easier drive from Evanston vs. driving through the city to get to Palos. Deer Grove yellow loop is 5.4 miles (map here) and a mix of dirt and crushed gravel. I park at the West parking lot on Dundee, and run counterclockwise - that puts the hills towards the end of the loop. Then you can add the 1.6 mile orange which appears to be an old service road that has never been resurfaced, so mix of asphalt and dirt. It is mostly uphill, then you turn around and go back downhill. Grade isn't terribly steep, but it is a nice change from the usual stuff around here. The brown loop is also nice, dirt/gravel around the model airplane field that partly runs in parallel with the paved bike/walk path. Trails are marked at Deer Grove (in fact, there are a few short hiking/snowshoe trails crisscrossing the park that do not appear on any map -  I'm going to check those out the next time I am there).

I also like the yellow loop at Sag Valley (map here), just south of Palos on the other side of the channel. The 8.1 mile yellow loop is mostly crushed gravel double track, but the hilliest trail I have run since moving here a few months ago. Very well marked. The area called 'Swallow Cliffs' is an old toboggan area. There are a ton of steps to the side of the big grass hill. Lots of people do stair repeats here. I imagine you could also use the grass hill for repeats.

I haven't been yet because it is so far away, but Veterans Acres park in McHenry County is supposed to be nice. It is the "home" park for the MUDD trail/ultra club. I am running their Frozen Gnome 50k in January, which uses those trails.

Irish Luck

Phoenixville, PA, just 5 miles NW of Valley Forget National Historic Park.  My "home trails" include Mt. Misery in VF Park and the Schuylkill Canal.  My husband/running partner has been injured for the last few months, so I have had to run solo, thereby limiting some of the locations I feel safe running. 

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I'm in Durango, Colorado, and my usual stomping ground (because I go out my kitchen door and down the alley and there it is) is the network of trails around Ft. Lewis Mesa and Horse Gulch:

Rim trail and Silver Mountain

I also run Animas City Mountain and the trails on the west side of town, and occasionally will drive to the big mountains to run (but mostly only for races).

RabbitChaser

I live in Parkville, MO and run on the trails around Wyandotte County Lake. I will run out there at least every Thursday for the Beer Apreciation Run.

mecrowe

Computer Geek

I'm in Greensburg, PA....about 30 miles east of Pittsburgh.  Most of my running tends to be on the road or rail-trail, however, weekends usually warrant the 30 minute driver to the Laurel Highland Hiking Trail and Forbes State Forest.

--Mike

runner1304

"Hilly" is a very subjective term. Everybody told me to run the orange loop at Palos if I wanted hilly technical trails. I've been out there a few times, and I don't think it is very hilly or very technical. Deer Grove is somewhat hilly in places, but I go here because it is an easier drive from Evanston vs. driving through the city to get to Palos. Deer Grove yellow loop is 5.4 miles (map here) and a mix of dirt and crushed gravel. I park at the West parking lot on Dundee, and run counterclockwise - that puts the hills towards the end of the loop. Then you can add the 1.6 mile orange which appears to be an old service road that has never been resurfaced, so mix of asphalt and dirt. It is mostly uphill, then you turn around and go back downhill. Grade isn't terribly steep, but it is a nice change from the usual stuff around here. The brown loop is also nice, dirt/gravel around the model airplane field that partly runs in parallel with the paved bike/walk path. Trails are marked at Deer Grove (in fact, there are a few short hiking/snowshoe trails crisscrossing the park that do not appear on any map -  I'm going to check those out the next time I am there).

I also like the yellow loop at Sag Valley (map here), just south of Palos on the other side of the channel. The 8.1 mile yellow loop is mostly crushed gravel double track, but the hilliest trail I have run since moving here a few months ago. Very well marked. The area called 'Swallow Cliffs' is an old toboggan area. There are a ton of steps to the side of the big grass hill. Lots of people do stair repeats here. I imagine you could also use the grass hill for repeats.

I haven't been yet because it is so far away, but Veterans Acres park in McHenry County is supposed to be nice. It is the "home" park for the MUDD trail/ultra club. I am running their Frozen Gnome 50k in January, which uses those trails.

Thanks RoxieRuns for the maps and all the insider information. I think I'll check out Deer Grove when I want to go somewhere new for a long run. I'll probably check out Sag Valley's yellow loop in the near future too. I typically run the orange loop in Palos, since it seemed to have the technical trail at Palos. So, it would be easy for me just to scoot down south a bit and try that. With where I'm situated in the city, its easier/faster for me to get to Palos than Palatine.

As far as up north, I tried to go running at Chain O' Lakes State Park over Thanksgiving (I don't know if there are any trails there, just going to explore), but it was closed for hunting. If I'm up by there again, I'll look at Veterans Arces Park too. Its a little far to be an every week occurrence, but if my husband wants to visit family up there, I may get a chance to run it. I was looking at the Frozen Gnome 50k too. NLUR (New Leaf Ultra Runs) posted about it. I'm not sure I'd be ready for a 50k by then. Maybe if this week's long run goes well, I'll sign up.

Thanks again for all the info!

03/23/13: Clinton Lake 10 miler

04/07/13: Chicago's Shamrock Shuffle 8k

05/11/13: DWD Gnaw Bone 50k

Another Madisonian (of the cheesehead variety) here. I enjoy exploring various sections of the Ice Age Trail...also spend a lot of time in northern Wisconsin/Door County during the warmer months--Peninsula and Rock Island State Parks are some favorites up that way!

Uh oh... now what?

Summary (interesting cross-section of states):

Palmer (Southcentral) Alaska

Northern California
                  Petaluma, California
                  Thousand Oaks, California

Boulder, Colorado
                  Durango, Colorado

Athens, Georgia

Chicago, Illinois
                  Chicago, Illinois

Indianapolis, Indiana

Bloomington, Indiana

Greensberg, Louisiana

Parkville, Maryland
                  Silver Springs, Maryland

Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts
                  Southeastern Massachusetts

Northern Michigan

Parkville, Missouri

Missoula, Montana
                  Southeast Montana

Reno (near), Nevada
                  Carson City, Nevada

Northern New Jersey

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Saratoga Springs, New York

King, North Carolina
                  Northwest North Carolina

Eugene, Oregon

Greensburg, Pennsylvania
                  Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
                  Boalsburg, Pennsylvania
                  Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
                  South Central Pennsylvania
                  Douglass Township, Pennsylvania
                  Phoenixville, Pennsylvania

Kingwood, Texas
                  Kingwood, Texas
                  Dallas, Texas

Cedar City, Utah
                  Ogden, Utah

Richmond, Virginia
                  Arlington, Virginia

Seattle, Washington
                  Seattle, Washington
                  Seattle, Washington

Madison, Wisconsin
                  Madison, Wisconsin
                  Madison, Wisconsin

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

nice summary-thanks! Smile   we have nearly every geographic area covered

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

But the Pennsylvanians are clearly plotting to take over.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

But the Pennsylvanians are clearly plotting to take over.

your right- I didn't notice that at first; we'll have to make some cross state allegiances to prevent a takeover Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Dubuquer

My name says it all... Dubuque, Iowa, where Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin meet.  I can do a 10 mile run and run through three states.

My "home" trails are in the Mines of Spain state park.  A 10 minute run gets me there and I can easily squeeze 1000 feet of climbing into a 7 miler from my front steps.  We've got a couple other solid trail running areas within a 10 minute drive.  And this year the trail running community here is growing strong and we may have 10 other locals signing up for 50k+ trail races this spring.

I used to live in Madison and never found it to be a great trail running town because I wanted hills/rocks/roots and if I wanted any extended trail running I had to drive there (and I hate driving someplace to run.)  I rarely felt like driving out to Blue Mound or the Kettles or Devil's Lake or anywhere else just to run.

The best trail running town in the Midwest outside of the coastal Lake Superior towns?  Decorah, Iowa.  Check it out.

Uh oh... now what?

I know some here have done a lot of traveling and could probably cover almost every state with their running adventures.  On our trips we have paused, even if only for three or four miles, so we could check off another state--no regard for official pay-a-fee runs, just out and about on dirt somewhere.

Irish Luck

I know some here have done a lot of traveling and could probably cover almost every state with their running adventures.  On our trips we have paused, even if only for three or four miles, so we could check off another state--no regard for official pay-a-fee runs, just out and about on dirt somewhere.

JohnM> is this a comprehensive list of every place you've lived?  And how did you come to visit/hang out/run through/live in Phoenixville?

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

Uh oh... now what?

JohnM> is this a comprehensive list of every place you've lived?  And how did you come to visit/hang out/run through/live in Phoenixville?

Stumped me for a minute... creaking windmills of the mind... hmm, what?  Aha!  It is a summary of the responses from others, not a summary of where I have lived.  Even with my hyperinflated ego I sort of doubt there is any interest in my wandering.