Trailer Trash

If you wear Cascadia trail shoes (Read 49 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

and like them, which road shoe works for you?

I've been wearing Brooks Ghost 4's, and for the most part, I love them. I've run more than 1,000 miles in my last pair. Only problem  is that the right shoe is just a tad too short for my second toe. So on runs with long downhills (3+ miles), this toe hits against the toebox in the front, and every now and then, this results in a blister right at the front, extending under the nail, causing pain, a black toenail, end eventually, the nail comes off.

I think this problem started about a year ago, when my feet grew just slightly again. The Cascadias still fit fine, they seem to have a longer toebox.

Otherwise, I like everything about the Ghost 4's, and I've never had a blister anywhere else, even after 50 miles on rough gravel roads.

So which shoe could perhaps work for me for roads?

Run for fun.

Birdwell

Funny you mention this.

I have the exact same problem with blisters, in the same spot, with the Ghost 5's.

I have no solution. I just wanted to say "You are not alone"

Well, since I don't do a ton of road running any more, I buy whatever the Brooks outlet store has in my size in a neutral shoe.  (Right now that's the Defyance, but I've also worn the Glycerin, which I like a bit better).  That said, I just bought a pair of the Brooks Transcends; they are quite pricey, but I do like them.  I believe they're kinda sorta Brooks' version of the Hoka.

I also wear Ghosts (5) and have a similar issue because I have long 2nd toes. I usually just get calluses but no black toenails from the Ghosts. I have been wearing the 5's since they came out a couple years ago, and will probably try to switch to the 6's soon. Having trouble finding the 5's in my size.

I wore Asics Cumulus for about 3 years before switching to Ghosts a couple years back. Asics changed the model and made their toe boxes WAY too small, so I do not recommend those.

I'm also interested in trying the Brooks Transcends but maybe after some go on sale....

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I might try the Brooks Glycerin, I've been looking at this shoe for a while (just waiting to find a good deal somewhere).

I have tried the Asics Cumulus, but also found that the forefoot is way too tight for my medium high arch (the top of the foot gets squeezed). Before they changed the general shape of their shoes, I really liked Asics, and they would always fit.

Size is sometimes an issue with me, too, often my size is not available on good deals and clearances.

Time to visit my LRS again, they usually have my size and are great in finding a shoe that fits and meets the requirements (and with my running club membership, I get an additional 10% off

Run for fun.