Trailer Trash

Monday!! (Read 18 times)

LB2

i ran 5 muggy but fast miles this morning.

QOTD: I have absolutely nothing.

LB2

runtraildc

Morning folks! I got in a couple of short crappy runs this weekend. I'm so over this extended summer. The AC has been acting up again and I have to call a service appt. We should be turning on our heat about now!

Oh, and I bailed last minute on my 10 mile race yesterday. I just couldn't face another hot and humid run, and it turns out they downgraded the 'race' to a 'recreational run' halfway thru due to conditions. I would have been about finishing or in my last mile, and my finish time would have been unofficial. those further back were routed onto a shortened course.

qotd: How often do you DNS for a registered race? Me, this was the first in over 5 years so I don't feel so bad. My list of reasons to not run were not significant, albeit lengthy-- too hot, humid, going to thunderstorm, poor sleep and nutrition, my back is bothering me.... But what it really came down to is I knew it was going to be a sufferfest and I just wasn't up for it. After seeing the official memo from the Army abotu downgrading, I don't regret my decision one bit.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

I had planned a run this morning, but guess what, it's raining, so I can't go outside.

Just kidding.

It's nice and warm, and a light drizzle (or heavy rain) won't hurt me. 

trailDC: I guess you've had your fill of hot and humid runs this year. No shame in just not feeling it. I guess it would have been a real disappointment to have started just to realize at the finish it was not what you were working hard for in the race.

LB2: Sounds like you are in great shape!

I helped out at the Aid Station 11, the last one before the finish, at the Tussey Mountainback 50-mile ultra and relay.

It was a lot of fun. I had the boys with me, and they proved that they are big helpers and almost could run an aid station all by themselves.

After two other volunteers had left early, my little guys continued to direct runners the right way, kept track of the ultra runners on the course, offered food and supplies, and occasionally communicated with the "base" (race coordinators).

We all had a lot of fun. Pictures to be posted.

So here are some pictures:

My youngest son ready to help

The vultures circling above, waiting for their share of the feast... 

Teams waiting for their runners

Some exotic team from far, far away. They actually had a bagpipe with their team vehicle and played music

Anthony Kunkel won the race in 5:43, and Elizabeth Howard was the fastest female with 7:07, which is very impressive, but there were some other stories going on with the mid- and back-of-the-pack runners that were just as intriguing and exciting.

One of my friends from the running club ran the race, and she was fine when she came through the aid station, just to throw up and almost pass out a quarter mile later. One of the other runners stayed with her, and they made it to the finish line eventually.

There was a lady on the course, who was the last ultra runner (still at least 1/2 hour ahead of the cutoffs) for a long time, but after running right through our aid station without stopping, she passed three other runners ahead of her and finished strong.

Another runner was in really, really bad shape at our aid station, but he did carry on and recovered somewhat and finished.

Every relay team that I saw cheered on their runners, and they also cheered on other runners, team or ultra, which kept the spirit up and everyone happy and excited.

The time passed very quickly, we did not run out of supplies or food or drinks, and packing up was done quickly, too.

I was surprised that despite the hot and humid conditions (temps in the mid- to upper 70's, and a dewpoint of 68+ degrees throughout the duration of the race), most runners who came through our aid station were in good condition, considering they had already 46 miles and 3500 ft of elevation gain in their legs. There was a light breeze going on at all times, so that probably helped with the humidity and made it more tolerable. The dropout rate was probably on the high side, but not unusual. We did not have any dropouts at our aid station, and I guess whoever made it to that mile 46 was determined to finish.

When I was driving up to our aid station, I had tears in my eyes because I had not been in that part of the forest for more than one and a half years, and it was so beautiful in its fall colors and occasional sunlight shining through the leaves. And I was sad that I could not run, but at the same time I was happy to be out in that remote part of the forest again. I felt how much I need this "sanctuary" for my own sanity and well-being.

Our aid station was in the middle of the swamp (it's a swamp area in the forest), and we were literally eaten alive by all the flies, gnats and mosquitoes, even though we had put on insect repellent. Still it was a great and fun day, and I am sure unless I'm running the race again, I'll be back to volunteer.

QOTD: I had one DNS at my first attempt at the Hyner 50k because I broke my elbow about 6 weeks before that and knew I was not going to be running for several weeks to get in shape again. No other DNS's as far as I remember.

Run for fun.

LB2

QOTD: I have one DNS. It was the Equinox Ultras & Camp Fest, March, 2016. I had run Cottonmouth in November, 2015, but after that, I just didn't do much. I paced Kelly Agnew for 40 miles three weeks after Cottonmouth. I was just tired of running because I had to cram for Cottonmouth. I would say I was fairly undertrained for that race, and I was definitely under trained for that race in March. I think between December and March I had one run over 20 miles. I probably could have gutted it out, but I just couldn't bear running loops. Also, I got in that race for free. If I pay, I am probably running if it is an ultra distance or an expensive shorter race.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Tiny E was glad to have me home and got a nice 5 mile hike up to Mt Helena yesterday; have today off so will get out for some miles today, maybe lift too.

qotd: I think I have one, but can't recall the exact details- the races I do have to be registered well in advance (months), so it's always a possibility that something comes up- no refunds, but figure most are for a good cause.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Tropical storm weather right now. I was thinking of running at lunch, but might change my mind.

Finally saw some colors yesterday in the woods. Nice run and saw a few hikers out and about. Hopefully they were hunkered down by the time the storm started. We had 1.25" of rain overnight.

Sandy - congratulations on your 100.  Can't wait to read the RR, probably be done around Christmas time, right? 

DC - Can't believe they did that to the Army 10 miler. What a joke. Steamtown and Chicago marathons were both run in same weather yesterday, and they didn't call them "fun runs".  We used to run that trace every year. I love the course, and it was always a great pre-marathon race before Marine Corps or another fall marathon.  We had 2 friends running, and one came in as they were blowing a horn. Looks like they cut the race at 9 miles for some.

Couch -  Glad you are reconnecting with what will help with your "sanity". Volunteering is a great way back into things. You can set your goal to run Tussey next year.

QOTD:  If I pay for it, I will run. It's been a long time since a DNS.  Probably in my road running days and would have been a 10k or something. I used to race a lot more often in those days.  Most of my races, I don't have to sign up too early, so if I'm not ready, I don't sign up.  I did that this year for Labor Pains 12 hr.  Knee was not good, so we didn't go.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

We are certainly going to find out in about 25 days. I think having that last really long run go well was very important, at least to me. And it went very well.

LB2: Sounds like you are in great shape!

LB2

muppy

5 miles on some trails yesterday. For some reason my watch said 4.5 miles,  but where I ran it is usually 5.6 miles so I split the difference.  I feel for anybody racing yesterday, the dewpoint was a miserable 73° and my ass was dragging!

Thank you for the aide station report Couch!

QOTD I dropped out of a fat ass 50 K a few days before because I pulled my groin muscle. If I had paid for the race I probably would’ve tried to  run it.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

3 warm miles for the records, at 100% humidity. Muggy is an understatement. But a nice breeze every now and then made it ok.

Run for fun.

runtraildc

It seems crazy, doesn't it? Then I remember this is a race run by a lot of newbie runners. Delicate snowflakes, I guess .  Or the ability/tolerance threshold is much lower. But who am I to talk (as I stayed in bed instead)?!?

DC - Can't believe they did that to the Army 10 miler. What a joke. Steamtown and Chicago marathons were both run in same weather yesterday, and they didn't call them "fun runs".  We used to run that trace every year. I love the course, and it was always a great pre-marathon race before Marine Corps or another fall marathon.  We had 2 friends running, and one came in as they were blowing a horn. Looks like they cut the race at 9 miles for some.

AT-runner

Tim

It seems crazy, doesn't it? Then I remember this is a race run by a lot of newbie runners. Delicate snowflakes, I guess .  Or the ability/tolerance threshold is much lower. But who am I to talk (as I stayed in bed instead)?!?

Imagine if Galen Rupp, after winning the Chicago marathon yesterday, was told it was only a "Fun Run" due to the heat.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

We were going to work at freezing some applesauce tomorrow but since the weather is bad today and nicer tomorrow we decided to do it today.  Now DD decided she wants to can some so that will take a little longer. Never canned the stuff since it's just a extra step that really doesn't save any time on the back end when you open it like it does with canning meat.

Looking at 5-6 miles after all this is done.  The weather blew through without giving as much rain as I had hoped for but at least the humidity has dropped some.

FTYC - Those buzzards probably thought I was going to be running and were hanging out waiting for me .   I took a quick glance at the results and it seems like the number of registered runners was lower this year and about 30 either didn't start or dropped out.

QOTD: I have two. At first I couldn't think of any then I looked on ultrasignup and they showed the one and I just remembered the second one while typing.  The first was the Frozen Heart down in Callaway MD.  Wanted to do that because that's the area that I partially grew up in. The first year I signed up for the 50k and it dropped something like 8-12 inches of snow on the area. A lot for them and we had more up this way. Several of the northern PA runners that are really strong bailed on that as well. I just didn't feel like traveling into that area with that much snow since they are in no way used to that much, then trying to slop through it for 17-30 miles.

The second was this spring at the Sole Challenge. I was going to do the 6 hours. My BIL that has the pancreatic cancer had just returned to MI from FL and was not in good shape. Reports were that he may not last too long so we went out there instead.  He's still alive but I don't really regret the DNS either.

I should have taken one several years ago. Had a 1/2 scheduled and could have met Jamie and run in his area for about 20 miles. I was training for the Hyner 50K so should have went for the higher mileage. Instead I ran the 1/2, busted up a ankle quite bad and had to downgrade to the 25k for Hyner.

runtraildc

Oh, they made sure to make the call AFTER all the elite runners had finished (and kept official finishes). They called it at a time when it would affect the mid to late wave starts and back of the packers. The first male finished in 49 min.

Imagine if Galen Rupp, after winning the Chicago marathon yesterday, was told it was only a "Fun Run" due to the heat.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Sounds like they rather wanted to pack up and go home instead of wait for those pesky slow pokes to finish way late.   What a fun run.

Oh, they made sure to make the call AFTER all the elite runners had finished (and kept official finishes). They called it at a time when it would affect the mid to late wave starts and back of the packers. The first male finished in 49 min.

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

No run yet.  Probably gym.

Sandy - congrats!

Couch - That seems awfully early for Tussey, no?

QOTD: I may have DNS a FA at some point but I cannot remember right now.  Like others, if I pay for it, I run it.

Have a great day night!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday