Trailer Trash

Muddling Mondaily (Read 36 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Afternoon, sports fans.

XT: you are one cool cucumber, just casually mentioning a 70.5 mile run. No big deal, eh, just

a typical weekend run.

SRD for me today. I need a race in my future to help me feel motivated toward a goal, the

past month has been a kind of willy-nilly training program, I think I operate better with a

goal in front of me. Unfortunately, the 'running budget' is non-existent right now so any

race reg, travel, etc is out of the question. I'm even getting as much use as possible from

my 3 pairs of running shoes b/c I can't afford an upgrade. I know; we all have a sob story!

QOTD: I'm 45 and have never really read or watched the news, somehow I still consider

myself an informed citizen.

Not sure where you're at, but I know the NJ Trail Series will "comp" a race if you put in sufficient volounteer hours (a good chance this will be my answer to a small running budget).  If you're not nearby, others may do the same/similar.

**Ask me about streaking**

SRD for the pooch and me.

QOTD: I haven't subscribed to a paper in quite a few years.  I am kind of amazed any manage to stay in business.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

jonferg67

Endless trails

Not sure where you're at, but I know the NJ Trail Series will "comp" a race if you put in sufficient volounteer hours (a good chance this will be my answer to a small running budget).  If you're not nearby, others may do the same/similar.

I'm in an area where there are road 5k's just about every weekend, but the trail races are few and far between.

When I lived in the bay area I volunteered for races and earned free registration, it was a great way for me to pay for registration

and give back to the community, thanks for reminding me about that. To be honest I guess I'm feeling a

little self-pity about my situation, and that tends to cloud my thoughts and I forget that I have options. This week will

be a full year out of work and it's just killing me, if I didn't have a family and friends for support I swear I would drive

out to the desert and go out for a final long run. Thanks again.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I'm in an area where there are road 5k's just about every weekend, but the trail races are few and far between.

When I lived in the bay area I volunteered for races and earned free registration, it was a great way for me to pay for registration

and give back to the community, thanks for reminding me about that. To be honest I guess I'm feeling a

little self-pity about my situation, and that tends to cloud my thoughts and I forget that I have options. This week will

be a full year out of work and it's just killing me, if I didn't have a family and friends for support I swear I would drive

out to the desert and go out for a final long run. Thanks again.

I did a full year unemployed in 2011.  Right at the 1 year point (almost to the day) a recruiter called me up on a Monday, i interviewed on Wednesday, they told me I had the job on Friday, and I was on the jobsite the following Monday.  I think the key to my interview was that I was finally at a point where I didn't have anything to lose, so I just went into the interview and was very honest and didn't try to sugarcoat anything or hype myself up.  Anyways, I know what you're going through and it is tough to get beat up for that long and then have to put a smile on to go to inteview #XX.

Stay positive...It'll happen, keep trying.

**Ask me about streaking**

Snowdenrun

Ran 7+ yesterday through some nice familiar single track. About to head out for a hike with DBF and the dog.

QOTD: No. But maybe I should. I have been in the local paper 3 or 4 times since I moved to this little town a few years ago. Just a few days ago my boss said "I saw you in the paper, congrats." I had no clue what he was talking about. Had to go look in the paper to see what he was talking about.

Chnaiur

Going to the doc with my foot. No training.

QOTD: I stopped subscribing to a physical paper about ten years ago. It just wasn't worth dealing with them after I had read them.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Afternoon,

worked very early today, so I'm planning on a few miles later. I did a nice evening run yesterday, 9 miles in evening humidity - it was a wonderful picture with the sun sinking behind the hills, leaving just a few golden rays in the mist of the valleys.

Warm and humid today, it looks like it's going to be another warm fog run.

QOTD: No. Just those coupon flyers. I read most newspapers online, but enjoy the paper versions when I get to visit my inlaws.

Run for fun.

Brian Runner

Rest Day. Did 16 yesterday. Its pouring out, and I'm my knee is still a bit tender from last week's hyper extension.

DigDug2

Easy 6.7 this a.m. - legs a little heavy from a great run on Saturday followed by hiking/camping on Sat/Sun.  Great to read the race reports this morning.

QOTD:  Yes - have been on and off, but currently on.  DW and I are NY Times readers, and the NYT put up a pay wall last year limiting the number of articles per month you can access without a subscription.  Digital + physical subscription wasn't much more than just digital, and I love getting the big Sunday paper to read over breakfast/throughout the day.  I like having it around for the kids as well - they'll read random articles that catch their eye and it inspires interest and curiousity.

Chnaiur

I feel that way about books. I can't convert to downloading books to my iPad because I like having an actual book in my hand and I find a certain amount of satisfaction placing on the shelf when I finish it. I have one shelf full of unread books and several bookcases loaded with the things I've read.

I used to feel that way about books, but three things changed my mind:

1) I can read on a tablet when I'm on the stationary bike or eating. It is OK to sweat on it, and it doesn't close when you let go of it.

2) I can read in the darkness, while my wife is sleeping

3) Storage for books is actually really expensive. A bookshelf that holds say 200 books takes up about 10 sqft of floor space (including empty space around it). At $1000/sqft in San Fransico, that's $50 per book.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Queen of Nothing

Sue

It's a rest day.  Going for a Pedicure...I think running is really f'ing up my toenails.

Xtreme:  Nice run this weekend.  I only ran 20 yesterday and still continued to overeat the rest of the day.

QOTD:  Small town here and our paper manly focus on hometown news.  Plus we have a Police Blotter which is better then the funnies.  zHere's one "A caller from the block of Anvil Road reported seeing hundreds of snakes in her sun room."  Otherwise as my husband says I like to "keep my head inthe sand."  He should have said woods because I would agree to that.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Once again I have found out that no good deed goes unpunished. I agreed to cover 5 hours of a over night shift for a colleague so he could attend a class this morning. Normally at that time of the day I should be able to get in a few hours of nap time. Of course I was busy with mostly Bull S@#T type calls, didn't get a nap, and ended up putting in over 7 hours. Final equation equals no running today Angry.

QOTD: This is the current topic around our house this past week. Should be continue getting the paper? It seems like we do clip enough coupons to make it pay, but if that changes I'll ditch it and save the $160.00 per year.

Watoni

Anything would be good today. Got in 11 yesterday while working all weekend but a I got 3-4 e-mails per mile, and I averaged about a 7:30 pace ...

ceezy

6 trail miles this evening...slightly damp out but really comfortable running weather.

QOTD:  Yep, still get it.  Normally skim through it but get the bulk of my news from the internet and tv.

Sandy-2

Stay positive...It'll happen, keep trying.

+1

SRD for me today.

qotd: I get the Sunday paper delivered, just can't give up the paper version I guess..  The rest of the week I get info online.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL