Trailer Trash

I need help with blisters (Read 32 times)

Hip Redux

Hey all.  Need some expert trail people help!

When road running, I only get blisters over 10-ish miles (but I do still blister often...).  But when on trails, I make it only ~5-6 miles before my feet start to burn and get hot spots and eventually blister.   The rockier the terrain, the faster I blister - the sliding and off-center stepping seems to make it worse (my feet feel like they are sliding around in my shoes on rocky terrain, sort of thing)

Here's what I've tried:

Different socks - Wright sock, wool (various brands), injinji toe socks, darn tough, Feetures and a bunch of other brands I can't remember

Taping with various medical tape, trail toes tape etc

Body glide and various lubricants of the same ilk

I am currently running in Salomon Speedcross 3s.  (I tend to like a more aggressive tread).   I have also blistered in other shoes as well - Newtons, Saucony Peregrin to name a few.   I have very narrow feet but also a 11.5 size (womens) which means I am often put in men's 10s, which are definitely too wide for me.   The Salomon's seem to fit me very snug, no ankle slipping etc.

I think I need to experiment with the shoes because the socks/lubricant combo isn't working.  But I just don't know.  And I'm tired of slowing down in races because my feet are killing me!

Sandy-2

Hi Oski,

I use BodyGlide on my feet for long runs and when there will be lots of sweating or stream crossings.  I also use thin and relatively "tight" socks, e.g. Asics nimbus socks or similar knock-offs of them. That works for me.

I haven't tried it but I have heard of people wearing a thin tight sock as an inner layer and than a looser fitting sock as an outer layer.  That way the "sliding" takes place between the two sock layers.  There are also socks that have similar two-layers built into them.  I think that my feet would bet too warm for that, but it may be worth a try.

Good luck.

tbd.

AT-runner

Tim

Sounds like it might be the width of the shoe vs the lubricant / sock thing.  On aggressive trails you can get a lot of lateral movement that you don't get on the road, and that added friction might be the cause.  I would try to find a narrow shoe and stick to woman's shoes.

Good luck, and let s know how it goes.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Hip Redux

Sounds like it might be the width of the shoe vs the lubricant / sock thing.  On aggressive trails you can get a lot of lateral movement that you don't get on the road, and that added friction might be the cause.  I would try to find a narrow shoe and stick to woman's shoes.

Good luck, and let s know how it goes.

That's what I think is going on.  But the Salomons are pretty narrow (but maybe not enough!?)  already, I don't know what else is out there (and there are no local stores with decent trail shoes selection to try).    Are there brands known to be more on the narrow side?

runtraildc

Hi Oski,

I don't have a problem with blisters, but I've heard that different lacing techniques have helped some folks prevent blisters. Have you tried this at all?

Good luck!  And please keep us posted.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hmmmm.  I wish I knew what to tell you!  It sounds like your shoes are just too wide.  (I never have this problem!)  You could try the double sock thing, but I'm not sure I would go for 1 tight fitting + 1 loose fitting -- I would just use two pairs that fit well.

Running Warehouse used to have the shoefitter thingy that let you compare shoes, but sadly no longer.  So sometimes I go browse at Amazon and use the shoefitter thing there, then buy at Running Warehouse (because free shipping and free return shipping!)  I've literally ordered 5-6 different pairs before just to try on and then sent them back if none of them work.  I do spend a fair amount of money there, so I don't feel too badly about doing that.  I have no idea which brands run narrow, since I only look for the wide ones!

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Hi Oski,

I don't have a problem with blisters, but I've heard that different lacing techniques have helped some folks prevent blisters. Have you tried this at all?

Good luck!  And please keep us posted.

The Salomon's have the speed laces, so a little hard to manage the laces differently.   Interesting point though, I hadn't considered that.

Mandy - everyone is telling me the Salomon's are known for their narrow toe box.    I give up lol

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Where are getting the blisters?

I second the lacing thing - if you try a shoe with a traditional lacing system.  Google it and there are a couple of methods.  One I saw that helps lock the shoe in place seems to really work well.  I haven't been able to do it because it seems to require a little extra lace length.  It utilizes the extra hole that is often not used up by the ankle by doing a loop on each side and then lacing through the loops prior to tying.  (You'd have to google it, I cannot explain it well enough).

I also wonder if shoe inserts would help.  Maybe the room is more top to bottom instead of side to side.  Just a thought.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

My inclination is ill-fitting shoes.  You should not be blistering like this.  Ten road miles and a blister?  That's a big nope for me.  Trails are definitely different as everyone has mentioned depending on terrain, ascent, descent, weather and all.

You people have issues 

Hip Redux

It's just that I've never found a shoe that didn't blister me at some point.  I feel like I have the wimpiest feet lol

Blisters are always on the side of the big toes and the big toe joint on the side.

Sandy-2

Hi Oski, I have never warn 2 socks, and never worn these socks and have nothing to do with the company...  but you might check this out.

http://wrightsock.myshopify.com/

tbd.

Hip Redux

Hi Oski, I have never warn 2 socks, and never worn these socks and have nothing to do with the company...  but you might check this out.

http://wrightsock.myshopify.com/

I've tried them. No luck.

Keep Going

It's just that I've never found a shoe that didn't blister me at some point.  I feel like I have the wimpiest feet lol

Blisters are always on the side of the big toes and the big toe joint on the side.

Totally agree with Fsocks. Sounds like a shoe problem. If you are getting blisters on the sides of your big toe that immediately sounds like your shoes are not wide enough! You don't want narrow tight fitting shoes. And blisters on the roads at 10 miles is ridiculous and should not be happening. Try Pearl Izumi M2 which I love for trails nice wide toebox or try Altra. And you can also tape your big toe prior to running.

100 milers are my favorite

NHLA

Foot RX Asheville NC  has a expert who will put you in the right shoe. DD has problems and he custom makes the inserts. It takes 2-3 weeks to get an appointment. Mabe you could call him and find out if he can recommend someone in your area.

DDs problem is a gate issue. He found a shoe that worked and then addidas changed them. She is going back nx week.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Blisters on the sides of your big toes? Shouldn't it be calloused by now? I ask because I have forever gotten blisters there (going back to my HS b-ball days) and even wide toe boxes haven't worked for me.  But it is now calloused and I just deal with it.  I don't get new blisters anymore but it can be painful in longer runs.  I try and "take care" of the calloused areas by using some weird thing DW bought to shave off the dead skin on her feet.  It helps a bit.  But it doesn't help the cause of the problem.

For me, I actually think the issue is more my gait - the way I am landing and pushing off.  So essentially, for me, no shoe will take this away although some are better than others.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday