Trailer Trash

WTF weekender -- don't get lives on me now!!! (Read 27 times)

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Hey it's the weekend do you guys only check this forum at work!!!  I ran 3 ish no watch at the time and in a spot I have never been.  Mike git the watch out of the dash now.

Qotd:  favorite state and why? Utah jumps out to me... I loooovve the woods but Utah is so crazy beautiful.  Of course Michigan is way up there...beautiful and family.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

dpc3

Sue what’s up! I worked a full day then drove up to Scottsdale. I think I’m suppose to run or some shit tomorrow. We will see how it goes.

QOTD: New Mexico is diverse but man I really like Montana and Idaho.

moonlightrunner

I don't feel post-worthy if I don't run...and I have a severe guilt problem interfering with my running. I need to become an early morning runner...it is the only time I can run without guilt...but I do hate getting out the door.

No miles this weekend. I am in Indiana visiting the grands. I need to get back on track....trail, actually, on Monday. I hope to do a better job balancing running with parent care this week.

Dpc3: good luck!

Queen: I have decided that running and family are the two main ingredients I want in my life. That work thing just makes both more difficult. I am so jealous...you have retirement on the horizon...right?

QOTD: i love the forests of Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. But I think mountains out west would be great! I did love Colorado when I lived there.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

GC100k

I did 16 nice but uneventful miles on the AT yesterday. Pretty cold so I was real bundled up. Shaved off my Santa beard after the run. Had planned on shaving before and getting some sun on my face, but decided to keep the warmth another day.

I've been to most US states but haven't really gotten out and explored in very many. The mountains out west are awesome of course, but there are some nice woodsy trails and spots in every place I've had time to explore. I had great trails in Oklahoma believe it or not. Grew up in Wisconsin and some spots there are as beautiful as any place. Lived in the Arkansas Ozarks for many years and there are beautiful remote spots like this:

Every Sunday afternoon starting this past fall my kids and I have been hiking and exploring near us in central Pennsylvania and have found some nice spots. Hate the cold here and didn't mind the heat in the south, but this area is growing on me. The summers are awesome - it never gets hot and we can run in the middle of the day.

I've also worked in 20-30 foreign countries and have run in many, but that's a different conversation.

AT-runner

Tim

Long run yesterday on trails around Pine Grove Furnace SP with DW. Covered a good part of he Ironmasters course but in different ways than the race runs them. Saw 3 other runners out, and that was it. The parking lot was surprisingly empty for a Saturday.

After the run, I headed down to Baltimore and played in an indoor golf tournament on a High Definition Simulator. 24 guys played, and we mixed up courses every 9 holes. Was fun and I won some money. “Played” back 9 at Kiawah, and back 9 at St. Andrews.

Now heading out out for some more time in the woods. Was planning on another long day, but rain and snow came early ( and I was up way too late after driving home) so new plan is to get in at least 12 if I don’t get too soaked.

GC100k - what work are you in with all that travel? Hikes with the family was one of our regular things. All of my kids still love to hike and camp, which makes us happy.

QOTD: Oregon. Love the coast there as well as the mountains. Running in old growth forests with moss covered trees is spectacular. Utah is second. Maine is probably third on my list (I know, you didn’t ask for a list).

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NorthernHarrier

Got enough snow to screw things up and now we have some high wind with more blowing snow. Crap!  Some weights this morn and I think I'll do a 5 mile road run during the pre-game and beginning of the game. Don't care about the game and don't care who wins as long as the Patriots lose. Added bonus would be Brady getting carted off the field. 

QOTD--Lots of great places to travel and explore but without question favorite is northern Wisconsin. As Moonlight said the region of the lake states- Mn, Wi, & Mi. is special.

dpc--glad you're hanging around again.

runtraildc

Just got back from a 5k road race (I know- ). I signed up at the last minute  because I suck at speed and need to work on it, and 5ks make me do that. And, most importantly, the start line was a 5 minute walk from my front door.  First half was downhill so the second half was uphill. And as I finished, the sleet/snow started so it was perfect timing.

qotd: Answer depends on the day and what I'm reminiscing about. Been in 40 of the 50 states, plus a decent chunk of Canada. I'm pretty partial to Alaska (aleutians and Kodiak Island), Maine and of course, Minnesota. But if you ask me about mountains, I'll say Montana, or western WA. What's a place that surprised me? The ozarks in Missouri. Only got to visit on a day paddling trip and it was stunning.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

got 13 miles yesterday snowshoeing in the Elkhorns- talk about weather change- at the trailhead to start it was 43 degrees (possibly the warmest temp all winter), when we finished (roughly 6 hours later) it was 13 degrees!  

we got a pretty good dump last night, 5-6" in town (a solid of hour of shoveling) and still snowing- mountains?????

qotd: well Montana is up there , but outside of where I live- New Mexico was pretty darn nice, a real diverse scale of environs from desert to mountain- we enjoyed our week long trip out there that we gave some thought to retiring there

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

In contrast to Warden’s winter wonderland, temps got into the 80s at my 50k yesterday.   Fort Ord, in Salinas, CA. Bad cramping at mile 25 but pulled through thanks to S-caps and/or stubbornness. I didn’t crawl under a shady tree and die, as I was contemplating.  Training involved one long run of 20 miles plus a couple 15 milers, which is not a strategy I’d recommend, FWIW. Got it done, 7:22.

4500' of elevation gain, rolling hills, little shade.  Here's one of the rollers.

MTA:

QOTD:  I need to get out and see more states.  I've always pegged myself as a west coast person but don't know enough about other states to pick a favorite other than CA, OR or WA.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

GC100k

GC100k - what work are you in with all that travel? Hikes with the family was one of our regular things. All of my kids still love to hike and camp, which makes us happy.

It's awesome that your family likes it. It's snowing hard here and we're about to head out. Nothing shall stop the Sunday afternoon hike.

I'm an engineer and professor. I mostly do water systems in developing communities. My avatar (bigger image below) is me surveying this past summer in Vanuatu where we've been asked to build a spring-capture and piping system for 25 villages in the hills. I hope to spend a semester there working on it next year.

AT-runner

Tim

Forcast was for dusting of snow and then rain and sleet. Well, by the time DW and I were done, there was 5” of white stuff on the trails. Ended up cutting it short at around 8 miles because traction was becoming a real problem. I was ready to be done, it was like running in sand. Now we’re getting the rain, so they were close to being right.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

6 in the rain in the woods

I lived in wv all my life and love it here

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Gatsby- congrats!; that doesn't sound pleasant

Tiny Elvis was chomping to get out, so despite the single digit temps, we headed out for 4 miles (on snowshoes for me)

- Tiny Elvis cold weather checklist

1. snacks

2. down jacket

3. musher wax

4. more snacks 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

9 yesterday on the trails of White Clay Creek with some of my dawgy friends, including the Lady. Cold but no wind so nice. Beautiful weather today. Snow was just starting as we headed over to French Creek. Planned on doing 7 or so, but ended up with 10. Snowed for a little over an hour then turned to sleet then rain. So a nice mix of wintery weather.

QOTD: I've been in PA forever it seems. I sort of like this state, but would like to snowbird down south for a few months. As for yesterday's question. Beer only here. Prefer IPA but like Belgium ales and saisons sometimes. Current favorites are IPA from Conshocken Brewery (Type A) and also Fulton Brewery in MN (Sweet Child of Vine).

In dog beers, I've only had one.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I ran around home both days . Saturday up and over some mountains into an area that burned last July in a big fire . It used to be a very pretty place but is now destroyed . It's desert here so it will be a long time before it recovers . Today I ran across a herd of mustangs I've been seeing just about every weekend .

QOTD - Utah , somewhere near the 4 Corners , SE Nevada