Trailer Trash

Joint Pain (Read 34 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

What can you do for joint pain that is focused on some larger joints (shoulder, hip, elbow), and slightly present in smaller joints randomly throughout the body, when icing, warming, and topical gels don't work, and you are allergic to "Aspirin" (NSAIDs)?

It does not get worse with running, if anything, moderate distances up to 15 miles make me feel better. It appeared out of nowhere and is starting to really bother me.

Suggestions?

Run for fun.

some call me Tim

Appeared out of nowhere? See a doctor. But as far as management, I don't know how well you'd tolerate it but turmeric is a legitimate  anti-inflammatory that I will occasionally use for a headache (it's sort of gross to eat a bunch of turmeric). Fish oil/omega 3's are also supposed to help manage inflammation; in my experience it was hard to tell... but my doc is happy about my cholesterol numbers and it's easier to manage my weight. Also working on the soft tissues up and downstream of the joint(s) might relieve some tension and improve your situation.

But if the way it came on seems sketchy, it probably is.

NorthernHarrier

Just random but have you been tested for lyme. That is one of the symptoms. Otherwise maybe try a daily dose of glucosamine chondroitin. (sp). Takes a while to get it going.  Otherwise I have nothing.

Occasional Runner

Just random but have you been tested for lyme. That is one of the symptoms. 

Yep!

moonlightrunner

I would go see a doctor who would probably order xrays and blood work to rule out arthritis, bursitis and some inflammatory and autoimmune disorders. As for pain, I cannot take nsIds either. I use Tylenol Arthritis. I'm not much for taking pills so I am not likely to take supplements mentioned by others...but it sounds like a good idea.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

For me it is arthritis,  the worst of it in the hands (especially base of thumb) and wrists, but I also have issues with the larger joints.  I find that keeping moving helps me so I continue to run, bicycle, and work with my hands.  Playing stringed instruments also seems to help rather than hurt the hand and wrist pain.  I wondered if guitar and dulcimer playing were a bad idea when I started, but the opposite seems to be true.

Voltaren applied topically helps.  Ibuprofen takes the edge off well, but I have a digestive disorder that makes taking NSAIDs often a bad idea.  I used to find Vioxx to work well but it was taken off the market.

I have not found that applying ice or heat help all that much, but wearing gloves in cool weather does.

I believe that both the digestive disorder and the joint pain were either caused by or made worse by Lyme Disease and maybe by the Lyme vaccine.  I had Lyme Disease at least twice over the last 20 years and suspect the first instance went undiagnosed for quite a while.  I got the vaccine after the first diagnosis and was diagnosed with the disease again any way.

At 63, it seems to me that getting older definitely makes matters worse, but staying active despite the pain seems the best course of action.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Sandy-2

I think you have good advice from the folks above.

For what it's worth, I'm also battling a shoulder issue that is tendinitis.  I asked a few people here for an ancient Asian cure and they told me to eat chicken feet....  I've decided I'd rather deal with the shoulder pain.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Daydreamer1

Try some stretching, light strength training and postural exercises. That stuff will make me feel better.  Sometimes our bodies just get out of balance and cause the aches.

Getting checked for Lyme is probably a good idea as well.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Thank you, lots of good advice that I'll try!

The Lyme Disease suggestion is not so far off the grid. When I was traveling with my dad just a few weeks ago, I got a tick bite (in central/northern PA). The tick can't have been in for more than 2 hrs at most, rather I believe it had just bitten when I found and removed it already, but it might have transmitted the disease nonetheless. I'll get tested. How long does it take for the first LD symptoms to appear after a bite, and when is the earliest time for a test after a bite?

Run for fun.

NorthernHarrier

I think it is about 3 weeks after exposure for the blood test. The testing is more accurate these days but it is still not perfect. So I guess even if it comes back negative but you had the exposure possibly and have/had any other symptoms I would say just request the doxycycline anyway.  Weren't you just recently talking about some dizziness too? That is another early symptom.  It's kind of starting to add up. Anyway the real early symptoms of light-headedness, redness or slight rash at the bite, head cold type symptoms can show up in just a couple days. General fatigue, stiffness, joint pain in a week or two.

I have been treated 3x for lyme and never once waited for the blood test. I had the exposure and the early symptoms and basically demanded the antibiotics asap.

Some have said the deer tick has to be imbedded for at least 24 hours and that is total nonsense.

Hopefully you can get some answers from your Doc and get well.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Thanks, Harrier. I have heard that "24-hour rule", too, and always thought that it's no good.

I'll get tested, but hopefully the doc will give me the antibiotic regardless.

Run for fun.