Trailer Trash

Post 'Merica Mondaily (Read 29 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Hope everyone had a great weekend.  Saw some nice fireworks in Gettysburg and the town was packed because they postponed the Reenactment due to extremely wet conditions on the farm where it's held.  All those "Tourons" came into town for our firework display.

SRD today.  Some wet muddy running over the weekend.

Way to go UWNT.  We watched all of their games leading up to the final and way to peak at the right time.  2 weeks ago critics thought the coach was crazy, now sh'e a genius. Amazing what winning the World Cup does for you.

Hey, where's our Wisconsin duo? NH popped in last week once and Mandy is MIA (hopefully healing again).

Any lurkers out there, stop in and say "Hi".

QOTD:  Summer vacation plans?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

I'll run 5 after work. Then, I'll walk at least 2 with the wife when I get home. I need to get running and walking in as much as I can over the next four months. I decided to go ahead and push forward with a 100 miler in November after things went better than expected on a little hill work last week. That leads me to a second QOTD....

I think Mandy is on an extended bike ride.

QOTD: No vacation plans for the summer. We do have a mountain trip planned for October and a Florida trip planned for November.

QOTD2: What is the longest distance you can "think" your way through if you are not in top shape for the distance?

I "think" I can think my way through the longest distance I have ever run if I am not in the best condition for the distance, and that would be 100 miles. I don't mean to suggest that I can just run that with no preparation, but I would feel comfortable getting in most 100 milers even my training had been less than adequate but I was healthy. But, then, I never feel like my training is perfectly executed. And it is very rare that I have heard anyone say, "My training was perfect." This has been on my mind since my wife said, "You should run that 100 in November..." Once I picked my jaw up off the floor, I began thinking about how much I want to run it and if I have time to be where I think I need to be. I believe I can get there in 17 weeks.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I will get in a 4-6 miler tonight through the hood.  Still a bit sore from my mountain run Saturday.

I did not pay attention to the women's world cup at all.  I generally enjoy soccer but have not even turned on the TV in weeks.  It's become a habit, a good one I think.  But I "heard" about the game last night.  Congrats to the US women.

QOTD 1: No vacation plans.  Kids don't seem to mind too much.  They are loving their pool passes.

QOTD 2: I don't know.  I do not think I could will myself through a 100 miler.  But I do think I could will myself through a 50 miler.  I have done it before.  I really would like to go into a race feeling very well prepared though.  It always seems like something comes up to interrupt training.  But the mental aspect to longer distances is vital - probably eclipsing the physical.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

Caught a short nap at work overnight. Just enough to make me feel crappy so I'm heading off to bed for another one.  After that I'll go to the lumber yard for some shingles for my one shed.  Looking to get in 7-8 miles early this evening. Some of that may end up being a walk with DW.

I didn't pay as much attention as I maybe should of to the USWNT.  Part of that had to do with the Hope Solo controversy.  If Tim Howard had acted like she did in the past couple of years the outcry would have been so loud that he couldn't have played.  Deep conversation that I maybe shouldn't have even brought up.

QOTD 1:  We spent eight days in east Tennessee in late May and early June.  We rented a cabin in northern PA in August  for several days over the time of the Call of the Wilds marathon. We'll spend some time there relaxing, hiking and biking, then I'll run the race.......er... hike the race.

QOTD 2: At this point I wouldn't want to try anything over a 50k, although that is more a GI issue then just being able to put my head down and keep the legs turning over.

AT-runner

Tim

Good question.

QOTD #2 - I think any distance you have covered before, you can probably "think" or "will" your way through.  Kind of like "been there, done that".  At least that has applied to me for timed events.  Last year I wasn't in top shape for a 24hr race, but knew I could keep going mentally and as a result I ended up doing well.  If I had any doubt in my mind (if I had never run for 24hrs before), I'm sure I would not have been as mentally strong and would have not performed as well.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Morning all!  My planned 5 miles at dawn did not happen since I had to drive a swimmer back home and back to the pool with his forgotten suit.  I figured it was easier to make up my run later than him to make up practice.  I'll head out this afternoon between thunderstorms.

little DS and I were watching the series-- it was a great game last night.

qotd:  Well, we just bought plane tickets for August to go to MN, from where we'll visit family briefly then head west to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks.  I'm sure we'll get some exploring around the black hills and devil's tower along the way.  We're also figuring out if we can swing a week in Cape Hatteras for kitesurfing for the household men.

#2, I agree with AT-- for me, that distance is a HM.  I was toying with the idea of signing up for a trail 15k this weekend, but I don't know if the hamstring will agree, so maybe my real distance is a bit less than a HM right now.

Occasional Runner

I woke up this morning a different runner. I didn't have any aches or pains and I had a fast, effortless trail run today. It's amazing what the right amount of sleep and alcohol can do for recovery. Starting to feel optimistic about Vermont.

QOTD: Taking my wife to Hawaii when we get back from Vermont. I have to travel there twice a year for work, so I'm taking her with me this time because she's never been. Vacation for her, work for me.

QOTD #2: Evidently, 100 miles.

some call me Tim

SRD for me today, and much needed at that. Still dragging, still not sick.

qotd1: Just a family trip to Allegany SP. This has been going on since I was a kid, so there's a lot of comfort in familiarity. I also plan to revisit last year's 20ish mile journey across the park and over a couple of 'peaks' on the section of the FLT/North Country that goes through. Hopefully trail maintenance has improved - last year I hurdled maybe a hundred downed trees.

qotd2: I guess 50 miles... that's kinda what happened for my first and only 50 this winter and at this point I don't have any concept of what 100 would be like.

XtremeTaper

Saturday, I ran a wet, rainy, and hilly 10 miles at Nolde Forest, and yesterday I ran about 11 miles down in Fair Hill preserve with my partner in crime and LadyB. I've ran over there many times now and rarely know where I'm at except in a general sense. There are just miles of twisty curvy single track and much of it looks the same, wandering through small hills and ravines. It is pretty fun for running though. Today, probably a Coventry Woods run tonight. The standard 7 mile loop.

QOTD: Heading down to FL and GA for a week or so, to celebrate some family birthday's and anniversary.

QOTD2: I'd probably say 50 miles. I did run a 100 miler once on what was maybe not optimal training and felt pretty good for the most part but made some mistakes that cost me a lot of time later in the race. I tend not to jump into 100 mile races. Maybe I should change my thinking on that!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Biked to work and will strength train this evening.

Watched the game last night, Wow!

qotd1:  have a couple of nice backpack planned, one with DW, one with DW and DGS and one solo

qotd2: probably a 50k, I've got a few under my belt and am somewhat comfortable with the distance, although I much prefer being at least somewhat prepared

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NorthernHarrier

Hi people,

Hey, where's our Wisconsin duo? NH popped in last week once and Mandy is MIA (hopefully healing again).

Well Mandy has a new interest I guess and THEY are doing a long bike ride around a section of Wi. (certainly not an area I would choose, oh well)    Hope they have good rain gear as it has been torrential today.

I just got in from a weekend at the shack in far northern Wi.  Heading to Idaho/Montana in a couple days where I will do two races/runs sandwiched around a week of solo backpacking in the White Cloud mts. of Idaho.  Plus connecting with Warden which should be cool.

Q-1 see above plus the usual long weekends up north and then a 9 day canoe trip in Ontario the end of Sept.

Q-2 None. You guys just wait, you will get old too.   Once upon a time I could enter about any 50k on short notice and wing it or bluff my way thru. Not a chance of that anymore. I have to train specifically for the event to have a chance these days. You just get real tired suddenly. The legs stop working. Nothing smooth, old man stride and form. Pretty ugly really.  But then again running the trails with my pathetic style is still where I need to be.

slosh

Did the p90x core synergistics today.  No running.  Had a big week for me last week (47).

Qotd:  visiting friends in Austin tx in September.  Wife is trying to get me to do another vaca too.  I haven't caved....yet.

qotd2:  same as LB2; I think I can think thru a hundo.  No doubt a HUGE part is mental in those later miles.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

6.5 on the hotel dreadmill this morning, and again many hiking miles throughout the day. Fun all along, lots of spectacular countryside, fauna and flora. Unfortunately lots of driving, too, as this is my dad's last day, and tomorrow I'll drop him off at the airport at Columbus, OH.

QOTD1: I think I have already spent all my vacation days of the next two years.   However, I'll finish it up with two days with my family in the northern PA mountains, starting tomorrow.

QOTD2:  100+ miles. I think I could do 110 to 120, but then again, I don't know what the main challenge beyond 104, or 34 hours of running is (just like you don't know what the main challenge would be for you after 50 miles if you haven't gone further yet), so I don't know.

i know that I can go long distances even when I'm not feeling too well if I just keep my head down and don't stop (unfortunately this applies to my driving, too, that's why we got to see much OH countryside... . That said, when I'm not well conditioned for the long distances and steep hills, my body nowadays can develop disabling pains, so just winging it without at least some training does not go so well any more at the 100's.

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

Hey Gang.  I'm actually currently in 'Merica!!!  NYC to be exact.  Needless to say Monday was a SRD, spent all day in an A380.

q1:  no plans for the summer, but in the late fall or winter we're flying the kids over to visit us.

q2: same as lace_up, I think I've done it in one or two of my hundos.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Ran 25 hard miles today which got me thinking.....which I will discuss on the QOTD2.

qotd1: just had a friend and his son visit for a week we went boating, hikes on the river, qaud riding, kayaking. And camping while a killer storm moved in.  Lighting hit on the other side if the lake and when I woke in the morning it was smoking.  So got to watch the helicopter lift buckets of water from the lake to put it out.   Other plans, Ashland Or for a race, long weekend at the beach, 3 day music festival in the mountains. Michigan for family reunion and between enjoying where we live.

qotd2:  So my friends visit effected my running.  I took today off because I missed my long run, none last weekend either.   Welll it was hard and I was sufffering.  I came to these conclusions:  1)  No more races...signing up for races interfere with life.  As in you can't visit because I am in training (my girlfriend wants to visit next weekend my last long run weekend) (unless less than 25 miles)  2) I'm not ready to run 50 miles (i may drop to a 50k.  I will decide next Sunday.  3) Being forced to run has taken the fun out of running.  4) I cannot think my way through a 50 miler but could a 50k

extreme:  That trail sounds awesome and fir me what it's all about!!!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄