Trailer Trash

Thunder Tuesdaily (Read 17 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Just waiting for thunderstorms to pass so I can head out for a run. Might have to be a road run today as these storm are pretty scattered and don't think I'll have time to get into the woods.

QOTD: pass

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

Ran a really nice 5 miles this morning before daylight. I barely used my headlamp; the moon was bright.

QOTD: How much time do you spend running at night?

I always hear people asking that question prior to long races. My answer is that I spend huge amounts of time running at night. It is when I am most comfortable running. In every long event I have ever participated in, I always have the same mantra: "If I can just hold on until the sun goes down, I'll be fine." When the moon is bright, I often run with no light. My first race that took me into the night was Cajun Coyote 100K in 2011 (I think). The moon was full, or at least very bright, and I turned off my light and just ran the last 20 miles pretty fast compared to my first two loops. I had no idea what I would have left because I had never run that far. But I just felt really alive out there in the dark, and I scared the crap out of a bunch of people.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Update: Weather guys said no thunder until 12:30, so I went to the woods for 8-10.  30 minutes in it started to pour and then 10 minuets later lightning and thunder. FUCK.  I made my way back and out to a road and ran my fastest mile in a while.  What a light show!  Not too happy about my decision to go to the woods by trusting the weather guys, but home safe and sound now.

On a side note, I don't need to add anymore water to the pool. It's all filled up.

QOTD:  Try to run a few times at night when training for a 24hr race.  I like to run after a long day of work so I'm tired. I've done a few night races, and they are always fun. I'd like to do more.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Gator eye

Big change in temp and humidity this am, cooled off enough that I had to put on a warm shirt. We went out for 10.

QOTD: I run 99% of my miles in the dark, mostly because that's when I have the time. It doesn't help me much come race day. When it gets dark I get tired, so much so I start falling asleep on the trail.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Should of stuck with the too hot Tuesday theme...I did Inferno Hot Pilates this am..no run but need to run after work!

QOTD:  Not much but I did wake up last night and the morning was shining bright and I thought it must be awesome in the woods right now.

Warden's QOTD: I always say I look pretty good for having sat for a living.  So the answer is I sit all day unless I purposely go a walk breaks.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Warm here for June, hopefully not a sign of what's coming

Will get out for 5-ish after work; knock on wood and my ankle holds out

qotd: I run in the dark during winter after work and in the dark on the mornings to beat the heat- I enjoy it.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

No run yet, hoping to get out tonight.  Still feeling the effects from a slight bout with food poisoning, maybe.  But I should be able to push through some miles tonight.

QOTD: Yes, I love night running but I do most of it through the neighborhood.  Not much in the way of night trail running.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

Dog walk last night and more of the same this evening though perhaps pool and beer instead? I also need to pen some words about Mohican. Recovery seems on track for a Friday or Saturday jaunt. No rush.

QOTD: I did just one 2.5 hour night run leading into my most recent 100 mile race. Well, not counting some brief night running during my February ultra in FL. I've done it often enough that it's more a test of gear and mental thing than good training. The real issue for me in long races at night is the huge fatigue factor you get 75-80 miles into the race. I'd probably do more night running if the trails around here didn't have so many dawn to dusk policies. Often feel a law breaker when out there. Night road running is difficult here as there are no sidewalks so venturing out of my neighborhood is not super safe, and the most I can do in my hood is 2.5 mile loops.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

Spent the morning interviewing candidates for several positions at work. So if anyone wants a job as a EMT, Paramedic, office Nazi,  or dispatcher you should have shown up. Given the number of open positions we have we probably could have slotted you in somewhere .

Going to wait until it cools down to head out for a run. Probably 7-8 miles.

QOTD: During the winter I do quite a bit of road running at night.  Lately I've been trying to get out for some late evening runs on the mountain. I like doing it when it's a full moon.  It was really clear and bright around here this past weekend, but I had to work. Looking forward to next month.

LB2

Spent the morning interviewing candidates for several positions at work. So if anyone wants a job as a EMT, Paramedic, office Nazi,  or dispatcher you should have shown up. Given the number of open positions we have we probably could have slotted you in somewhere .

Interviews can be an interesting thing when you talk after the person leaves and see how sometimes opinions vary greatly. We interviewed a guy for a job awhile back and my boss and the other person were just taken with him. "This guy would be perfect. What do you think, Burke?"

"Well, to be honest, I think he is full of shit. He can't deliver on what he says, but whatever." He got the job and quit the first day. I went back over and said, "I told you so..."

LB2

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Long walk, about 6.3 miles in an hour and a half. Quads are still sore and I wanted ti lessen the impact and still get some exercise.

QOTD: I don't spend much time running at night even in the winter when it's dark earlier. When i do there's enough ambient light that I don't need to carry a light of wear a headlamp.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Daydreamer1

Interviews can be an interesting thing when you talk after the person leaves and see how sometimes opinions vary greatly. We interviewed a guy for a job awhile back and my boss and the other person were just taken with him. "This guy would be perfect. What do you think, Burke?"

"Well, to be honest, I think he is full of shit. He can't deliver on what he says, but whatever." He got the job and quit the first day. I went back over and said, "I told you so..."

Sounds like a guy we interviewed when I was on the board at a private school. At first I liked him but the more he talked the more concerns I had. Everyone else liked him and I just couldn't quite come up with enough solid reasons to strongly oppose him, it was just a gut feeling.  We hired him and he turned out to be worthless and had lied about a lot of stuff. Azzhat was a preacher man to boot.

We had one today that we all liked but decided we couldn't hire because of age and lack of job and life experience. We discussed how to help her get the experience she needs. Unfortunately in our PC culture we're not allowed to even give applicants helpful hints.  If we would have hired her for the job we have it would have been like throwing a tender lamb to the wolves.

Sandy-2

Plan to do the bike after work today.  I'm keeping off the foot until the weekend, then I do some lite running.  I'm trying to be patient and let it heel now rather than do the whole heal/re-injure cycle.  UTMF is on the horizon and I need to fix this thing now.

qotd: back home most of my mid-week runs are done in the dark pre-dawn hours.  At the moment it get's light at about 4:45am over here since there is no daylight savings time, so I haven't run in the dark in a while.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL