Trailer Trash

Elkhorn RR (Read 15 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

This is a local race for me.  I spend a lot of time in the Elkhorns- running, hiking, skiing, snowshoeing- I'll hunt elk there someday if I draw the coveted bull tag there   The local run group (Helena Ultra Running League- yes HURL) sponsors this race- all proceeds beyond their costs go to other non-profits- Jefferson County Search and Rescue, Prickly Pear Land Trust, etc, so good causes.  They have a 50 miler, 50k and 23k races- all on the tough side (their 50 mile race serves as a qualifier for several bigger races).  I've run the 50k a couple of times- neither were among my finer races; with the Bridger Ridge Run exactly a week out, the 50k was out.  I've run the 23k a couple of times as well and have been among my better finishes, so the 23k it is.

Course map and elevation profile

the weather- the weather is a major part of this report- after five weeks of absolutely brutal heat, we got a reprieve and a big one- 50 degrees to start (8:00 AM) and 59 degrees three hours later- godsend for sure!

The first 4 miles are runnable and while I probably could have shaved time in this stretch, too much of a risk it would hurt me later- so I ran conservatively.  At the 4 mile mark is the first aid station (of two)- I carried my Osprey Rev 6 so was fully self sustained and went right on by which I think picked me up a couple of spots.  The next mile is uphill w/ very limited running opportunities (unless you are an elite, which I'm sure you've all gathered by now I'm not ).  I did pass a few folks in this stretch.  A nice, but short downhill to Jackson Ck.  I'll briefly mention the creek crossings, probably a dozen or so on the 23k course.  Some folks jump around rock to rock, look for a snag to tiptoe across- it's a waste of time and wet feet never hurt anyone- so it's right through for me.

The next stretch I feel is the toughest stretch- it's about 2.5 miles all uphill.  For an elite, probably runnable, for the rest of us mortals- power hiking.  The climb seems to last forever and I think weighs heavily on folks running this for the first time.  I passed close to a dozen folks on this stretch, maybe more.  There was one person that I was behind that wouldn't allow a pass- a gal (very easy on the eyes, particularly from behind ) in her 30's I'd guess.  I was probably no more than 10-15' behind almost the entire way, passing folks as we ascended.  About a 1/4 mile from the top, she stepped aside and I went around.  I was quite confident I would see her again before the race was over.

Once topped out, the views really open up- Casey Peak above, Casey Meadows below, lots and lots of scenery to soak in.  Once through this big big meadow you start dropping rather quickly- if you're gawking too much you're going to take a fall as this downhill is littered with rock of varying size, some partially hidden by vegetation- definitely technical.  I could here someone behind in this downhill stretch, but no asked to get by and if I turned around I would have been a casualty so I kept going.  When we got to the bottom, the gal who I had been following for a couple of miles zipped past me- I wasn't surprised.  The trail winds through a couple of meadows and a couple of creek crossings, then starts climbing again.  This next climb is the steepest climb, but not the longest (about 1.5 miles)- definitely a power hiking stretch.  I caught to this gal again and eventually passed her again before topping out.  After topping out it's a long and steep downhill to Teepee Ck, where the second and final aid station is.  There are some really technical stretches in this downhill, you really need to be concentrating or it's going to really, really hurt.  Surprisingly I passed a couple of folks in this stretch (they may have been 50k'ers??) and even more surprising I wasn't passed (although several times I could hear people behind me).

I made into the aid station and again bypassed it, as did the blonde gal who again zipped passed me   For about a 1/4 of a mile I could see little bits and pieces of her ahead and then gone for good.  She definitely had a second wind or a lot of gas in the tank or both.  When I got to the turnoff to Willard Ck with roughly two miles to go (and not a lot of gas left in my tank!)- there was a guy I knew from the HURL group who was headed to the aid station with supplies.  He stated I was in 20th place, "really?" I said and then he said yeah, but 21 is just behind you    Somehow I got a little energy and kicked into a little higher notch, I could hear the guy behind me, but eventually it went silent.  I had about 1.5 miles to go and I saw a gent up ahead walking- this looked like an easy pickoff.  When I got close, he started running, pretty darn fast too.  Then I saw him again walking, I'll get him this time- same deal, took off fast- WTF?  This happened 5 or 6 more times, towards the end I was really running fast (for me) to no avail- the guy beat me across the line by 30-ish seconds- tough SOB!!!

Anyways I ended up exactly at 20 (out of 70 runners), my best finish in my rather short career.  I don't know if everyone got one, but they handed out a really neat BUFF at the end- the course topo map on the BUFF- pretty nifty.  This was in addition to a nice t-shirt.

All in all, a good race.  Next weekend's race won't go nearly as smoothly that's guaranteed.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nice job...you should of just hung "behind" that young girl and finished a little faster. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Great job, Mike! I can attest that those two long climbs are tough. They are what did me in last year when I opted to DNF the 50K and follow the 23K runners. For anyone ready to tackle the climbs I would recommend either the 23K or 50K races. And yes, just plow through the creek crossings. There's no way you can avoid getting your feet wet eventually.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Sue and George- thanks!

I'd be lying if the thought of just hanging behind her didn't cross my mind 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Sounds like a nice place to run, and since you knew the scenery around you, it was a good idea to look at the sights in front of you.

Queen's answer is from experience. In Utah as she followed a man she named Foxy around for a better finish. 

Nice finish place.  How was you time compared to previous years?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I figured Sue was speaking from experience 

it was actually a couple of minutes slower, which surprised me- thought it would have been the opposite (knew they were close though)- I think I finished 24 last year (thinking similar number of runners)- must have been a few faster runners last year

the guy that won this year smashed the course record by 10-12 minutes and the second place finisher was a local 15 year old kid 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

Great work on the race and the overall placing. I too enjoy taking in the scenery during a trail race. Sometimes it's wise to hold back, enjoy the views, and not push too hard. Heh-heh. Seriously you are running well this year. Good luck next weekend, and some day getting that elk tag.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Thank you Sir!  It would certainly be an exciting season with that tag in my pocket; it's possible God is waiting until I'm retired to get it that way I can nonstop for five weeks 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

He had a hat with fox's ears on it....and nice brown legs. 

Queen's answer is from experience. In Utah as she followed a man she named Foxy around for a better finish. 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

nice 

reminds me of this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_TuAsyx7Z-0

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

nice 

reminds me of this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_TuAsyx7Z-0

Sandy-2

Great job on the run, sometimes it is good to do the shorter distances and go a little faster. GL next weekend too.

I was hoping for some photos of the.....   ummmm.....   scenery.

tbd.

Daydreamer1

Good job on the race!. That's a really nice distance.

So she wouldn't allow a pass would she?  But did you ask politely????

Oh yea, let me guess, that was your time to take it easy, recover and get the heart  rate down .

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

well if we get all technical and stuff, maybe I didn't try to pass 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √